Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

I have ice cream, carmel and rediwhip in my kitchen. It was from when I cheated on Saturday. I haven't touched it since Saturday but it is still there. I wish I could say it is because I hate throwing away food but no, that is not true. I want to eat it right this instant. I haven't eaten yet today so I am hungry. Ice cream isn't very filling though. And it doesn't last very long.

Off to grab a granola bar.....chilli for dinner.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #107  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilturtle View Post
I have ice cream, carmel and rediwhip in my kitchen. It was from when I cheated on Saturday. I haven't touched it since Saturday but it is still there. I wish I could say it is because I hate throwing away food but no, that is not true. I want to eat it right this instant. I haven't eaten yet today so I am hungry. Ice cream isn't very filling though. And it doesn't last very long.

Off to grab a granola bar.....chilli for dinner.
Throw away the ice cream and caramel. The RediWhip has so few calories, you can have a few tablespoons of it in a small ramekin and it will be a delicious treat that won't hurt your diet much. Hint: it's hard to find, but FatFree RediWhip has only 5 calories per 2 tbsp. I try to always have some in the house; I often put a little squirt on top of my sugar-free jell-o. With the fat-free variety, even if you mac out and eat the entire can you haven't really done that much caloric damage. It's too bad I can only find it in the store about once every few months. Most of the time they don't have it anywhere.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:18 PM   #108  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Hey folks, I'm busy-busy-busy with replying to mail, since it's the last week of the Month of Letters challenge, but I wanted to report that I finally got to see the cardiologist today, and guess what!! the results of that ultra-stressful stress test I had last month are normal, normal, and more normal!

Now that dancing carrot is the first animated image I've ever used, so you know how truly thrilled I am to hear that my ticker is in tip-top shape. And the cardiologist even ooh-ed and ahh-ed over my weight loss since the last time I saw him. So whatever the deal was with that chest pain I had in early January, apparently I have nothing to worry about. Even Bob was happy, and he's clinically depressed!

I'll be back after I make it through this pile o' mail...Oh, and Chelsea, hang in there girl! I'm thinkin' about you, and sending my strongest healing vibes toward you & your partner both!
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #109  
on a journey

Hi ladies,

I just wanted to update you. My nurse practitioner upped my Pristiq to 150 mg today. Let's hope this works. Pristiq has saved my life, It's worked so well for me these past few years. Let's hope it works again this time.

Chelsea, thank you for your warm thoughts.

I will check back in soon and let you know how I am doing.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 PM   #110  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

I need to catch up with all you!

Ohio (Lisa ) I hope so much also that the change in meds will help you. Do you think you might feel results soon? I read a little of your blog and you are a wonderful-sounding mother when you speak of your daughter

Fi - YAY!!! to a clean bill of heart health!!! and for the doctor giving kudos about your weight loss! Hey I looked at your collage with the French words, very powerful. Is it really postcard sized or is that an art expression? HOw is the situation working out with the child-care? Oh and my birthday was right near Kathleen's - December 2 and I turned 53. And I wanna be a fit and flexible old lady in 20 years

Chelsea - I am SO sorry about your partner's accident! how scary. You said he's doing okay? so no problems with the concussion? I guess he'll have to do physio therapy once his scalpula heals? and I KNOW what the unhurt partner has to go through...its ****. Not diminishing the injuries of the victim, but the partner has to do everything and not complain because that would be horribly selfish, right When my husband crashed my motorcycle and had a brain bleed, and we had no insurance and had to scrape for money (and I took a job as a waitress in a private home for 2 awful people even) things were so awful for MONTHS but you get through it somehow! and some day you will look back and be amazed that you were strong to get through it. Best wishes on managing this crappy situation!

penmage - I hope the deletion gives you a sense of closure and 'that's that' and you can move on somehow. How did your interview go? and how are you doing on your South Beach ?

Lil'turtle - I agree that if you possibly can, dump out the ice cream and carmel, and eat some of your good chili! did you make enough to freeze for future? that works well for me. Portioned out in 1 cup measures. And truly if that was your first cheat since Christmas, that is small in the big picture. About the scale...I actually do better without one. I get so crazy with ups and downs, I tell myself that as long as I know I am doing the work (diet and exercise) then EVENTUALLY some weight will come off.

Kathleen - I am so sorry you are having the foot issues, it is SO VERY frustrating when one has the will to exercise but something derails you. I am on day 2 of eating sparingly yet healthy. I can only go for one day at a time, or one hour, or one minute at a time! Hey when you are into your Stage or Step 2 of the diet, I sprinkle Jello sugar-free lemon over my nonfat yogurt..it tastes like a tangy lemon dessert! I love it. Oh and your description of what you went through with your pregnancies - Oh my gosh I can't imagine. and the way you support your daughter with her sports is fantastic Hey you have an inground pool??? can I come over this summer?

Maybe I also need to order that book Brain Over Binge..I have tried to analyze myself, what is my problem with food?? and obviously, for over 40 years, I've had a problem. I just LOVE how I feel when I am at a weight that seems okay and attractive for me, it just changes my personality, I am so much more outgoing and CONFIDENT. and due to the teasing when I was a kid, I just cannot accept that I am as acceptable a person when I am overweight What a way to live.

Lil'Dazed, I hope the situation with your sister and her guy are not having you stressing still.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #111  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Day #2

Day #2 on my DASH eating plan (I prefer that to "diet") has gone well. My 17-yr-old son was home sick from school today and had me get him Tim Horton's for breakfast, Five Guys Burgers & Fries for lunch, and Graeter's ice cream (my 2 favorite flavors) just because it sounded good to him. I thought to myself, "He doesn't realize it, but he is REALLY tempting me with all of this yummy food!" I kind of laughed to myself and decided I didn't need any of it. I passed on the Tim Horton's (where I used to frequently get a decent breakfast), passed every fry from Five Guys, and ~ at first, I passed up the ice cream. But then, as I scooped his out, I admit that I took a small bite of each flavor. I tried not to feel too badly about this little slip since I have been really eating well otherwise the past two days. Now I know it's only been two days, but I have HOPE once again that I might be able to actually shed some weight!!!

Fi: HOORAY for your wonderful news that your ticker is NORMAL!!! What a relief that must be!!! And I noticed before that you don't use emoticons, so I loved seeing your happy dancing carrot!!! Way to go on the weight loss, too! Glad the doc noticed and was impressed! I read Part 1 of Brain Over Binge tonight and found it fascinating. I am thinking that I might be able to use the technique she describes for even more than just overeating. Knowing how much the book and her technique helped you become binge-free has me excited and hopeful that it might help me with binges and overeating in general, too. I am going to try to extend the principles she describes about the animal brain to things such as procrastination and avoidance, too. Not sure if it will work there, but it is worth a try! I am in control of my actions! If my (animal/lower brain) thoughts can really be overridden with my true self (higher brain) voluntarily controlling my actions by distancing myself from those thoughts and keeping emotion out of the equation, this could be used in so many different situations! I will be trying this out in the days ahead.

Holly: Great to hear from you! So are you the official FIRST female President of the Vermont Rider's Association?!? Let me know how DASH compares with South Beach. I have 2 great days under my belt, so I am feelin' good tonight! It sounds like you are keeping really busy with work. When do you start your summer job? And when does the riding officially begin? Hang in there until then.....

Chelsea: So sorry that you are having a rough time. I hope you will make an appointment with that psychiatrist. She might really be able to help you a lot! You don't have to go through all of this alone. I WISH anxiety counted as exercise!!! I FEEL LIKE I've run marathons in my mind half the time! It is exhausting. I sure hope you will find some relief soon and be patient with yourself during this difficult time. Sending you a great big hug! Oh, and the stationary bike is OKAY, but I much prefer the treadmill. I am just thankful that I can do the bike in the meantime. Can't wait til I can bike outside with my hubby! Thanks for your support, even in the midst of your grief.

Trish: I agree with shr1nk1ngme..... throw away the ice cream and caramel, especially if it is tempting you so much! You don't need to do that to yourself. It just isn't worth it. Hang in there!

shr1nk1ngme: Good to see that you are still around. How are things with you?

ohiofreespirit: Thank you for keeping us updated on you. I hope the increase in Pristiq will do the trick!

Waving hello to everyone else!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #112  
I can do it!!!

Talking Holly!!!

Holly: Great to hear from you AGAIN!!! I was writing so long that I missed your last post! You AND all of our neighbors want to use our new pool!!! Hey, with the diet, I agree about going one day, one hour, or one minute at a time! If I think of it as "for life" it becomes overwhelming. One day or one meal I can usually handle. Thanks for the tip on sprinkling sugar-free lemon Jello on my non-fat yogurt. I can actually have yogurt right now (in Phase One), so I will try it. I usually buy the Greek Dannon non-fat Light & Fit kind in a flavor (still only 6 or 7 gms of sugar), but plain with sugar-free Jello sprinkled on top would be an even better choice!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 PM   #113  
Biker Chick!

LOL @ everyone flocking to Kathleen's house for swimming Yes I am the first female President of United Motorcyclists of Vermont. Maybe the thought of having to be more in the public's eye will help me to my goal! (might be a quick local TV spot in August). Up here, we won't be riding regularly until May...though we will be able to take quick "sanity" rides hopefully in April.

Penmage would help better wtih knowledge of South Beach basics, though I am pretty sure that the following is true - you start with a strict 2 weeks of no starchy carbs at all; you can have lean meats, eggs, small portions of nuts;just about all veggies except corn, potatoes, etc; no pasta, rice or grains; no fruits yet either. Yes to non fat dairy. After the first 2 weeks, then one introduces small servings of healthier carby foods, like 100% whole grains.

Your lunch of turkey rollups was one of my South Beach staples!! I would cook a regular egg with some egg substitute for added mass, then eat it rolled up in turkey slices. I guess I love to eat with my hands so I wouldn't miss bread or a wrap so much with that meal.

YOu are a nice mom to get that food for your sick teenager! how tempting it probably smelled but yay for resisting almost all of it.

I accidentally took 2 of my Wellbutrin pills yesterday morning :shock: I thought I was popping 2 of my Motrin for my knee! guess I just wasn't awake. I haven't flipped or tripped so I guess it's okay
Old 02-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #114  
Biker Chick!

Here are my horrible temptations at work!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140225_173137.jpg (42.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140225_173125 (1).jpg (26.7 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 AM   #115  
I can do it!!!

Cool OMGosh!!!

Holly: A HUGE on becoming the FIRST female President of the United Motorcyclists of Vermont!!! That is awesome! Yes, use it as incentive to look your best for the camera and for "your" public!

I just have to tell you that if I worked at that place with those scrumptious desserts , I'd be in BIG trouble!!! That is A LOT of temptation to resist!!! However, once you make your mind up that it is off limits (except for the occasional PLANNED indulgence of a bite or two), YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #116  

ohiofreespirit I'm glad you have a med that works for you. I've never had much luck with meds.

I'm still plugging along diet wise. I don't know if I am making any progress though which is discouraging.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #117  
on a journey

Hello everyone,

lilturtle, meds have kept me alive over the years. I am strong but when not on them, I melt down, not a good situation.

VM, (Holly) I love my daughter so much. I feel like such a failure when it comes to giving her the kind of life she deserves. I know it is just the depression talking but it is the way I feel right now. She is almost an adult now, in a way, it almost makes me feel like I owe her more than what I was able to give her. I know we don't owe our children anything except love and a safe environment but...it's just hard to explain. I feel like a failure financially is what it boils down to. I feel like I can't do anything right. She deserves better.

So as you can see everyone, my depression is rampant. Hopefully, the meds can help. I will stay in touch.

IBelieve, I will certainly keep in touch and I hope you are right and that the meds change helps me come around.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #118  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiofreespirit View Post
Hello everyone,

lilturtle, meds have kept me alive over the years. I am strong but when not on them, I melt down, not a good situation.

VM, (Holly) I love my daughter so much. I feel like such a failure when it comes to giving her the kind of life she deserves. I know it is just the depression talking but it is the way I feel right now. She is almost an adult now, in a way, it almost makes me feel like I owe her more than what I was able to give her. I know we don't owe our children anything except love and a safe environment but...it's just hard to explain. I feel like a failure financially is what it boils down to. I feel like I can't do anything right. She deserves better.

So as you can see everyone, my depression is rampant. Hopefully, the meds can help. I will stay in touch.
oh that brought tears to my eyes..your daughter is in college, and that is something wonderful!! And when you have described the times you have together when she is home, she sounds loving and grateful to have you!!

I have such guilt when I think of how I was when my 2 boys were young, when I was not on my lifesaving med and every second I think I was always angry or frustrated and I hope to heaven that they don't have awful memories of me being snappy or quick tempered or not a nice mom
I feel I need to know this but I can't ask them, that would be putting them on the spot and I can't do that.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:19 AM   #119  
Biker Chick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post
I just have to tell you that if I worked at that place with those scrumptious desserts , I'd be in BIG trouble!!! That is A LOT of temptation to resist!!! However, once you make your mind up that it is off limits (except for the occasional PLANNED indulgence of a bite or two), YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Yes...my reality is that I have to be around those items but I need to reinforce 'just because they are there, doesn't mean I have to try them!" Someone who works in a bank can't just pick up a $10 whenever they want, right And i have to try to remember, that if I was working in a retail store of let's say hardware, I would still have the same hunger/non-hunger level...little mind tricks that I have to employ.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #120  

I stepped on the scale I do have that hasn't gone up high enough. I was 24 lbs away from using it at the end of November. It might be 10 lbs off too as a friend used it and it weighed her higher then her doctor's scale. I am very discouraged as it looks like I haven't lost as much weight as I hoped to by now. I have a doctor appointment in two weeks so we shall see then.