Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #91  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Awww!!!

I continue to baby my right foot. My new foot stretcher and orthaheel shoes (to help plantar fasciitis) arrived today, and I have put both items to good use. I hope to be back "on my feet" completely ~ soon!!! I really HOPE I still WANT to do ALL that I want to do now ~ once I am able to again (like walk the dogs, exercise full force and often, etc.)!!! Our weather finally warmed up this week and I can just FEEL Spring in the air! We put a new swimming pool (underground) in late last summer in our back yard, so I am hoping to get a lot of laps in this summer for exercise!!! I dread putting on a bathing suit, but I need to do all I can to get this weight off! We are going to Florida for Spring Break, and I am in no condition to be seen in a swimsuit. I have a little less than 2 months. Hoping I can shed at least a LITTLE weight by then..... or at least tone up a bit. I have a call into my psychiatrist to see if I can lower my dose on one of my meds. I KNOW the meds are making me extremely weight loss resistant, so I am on a mission to lower all of them! I hope my doctor cooperates!

Trish: So sorry to hear that you are down and stressed. I am worried about you cutting back your calories too much, because your body will go into starvation mode and store fat. Your metabolism will slow way down, too. I know I am always saying this, but I am really just trying to help. If you can, try to eat at least a little something about every 3 hours to keep your metabolism going. I know this is hard when you don't feel like cooking anything, but you could keep some mini carrots or other veggies or berries or nuts on hand which would be easy to grab pretty quickly for a small snack. Other good easy options are cheese sticks or cubes. Just eat something so that your body can rely on the fact that it will be fed and stay out of starvation/fat-storing mode. I just don't want you to sabotage your efforts by eating too few calories! You CAN find a healthy balance!!! It is much easier said than done, believe me ~ I know ~ but YOU CAN DO IT!!! For now, maybe aim at just finding a healthIER balance; shoot for a little improvement each day to keep you working toward positive changes. It all adds up. I believe in you, Trish!!!

penmage: I think you did the right thing by taking matters into your own hands and deleting Justin. I am so sorry that your heart is hurting over this whole thing. It was extremely rude the way he handled (or more like avoided) the situation. I so agree with whoever said that it is his loss, though, and not yours. He is the one who had the problem that damaged the relationship. NOT you!!! And, considering this, though it might be difficult to accept or understand right now, I feel that you truly ARE better off without him in the long run. If it truly WAS/IS meant to be, he will come back to you. I really believe that. Sending you BIG HUGS and lots of support!

LilDazed: Sorry you are stressed about your sister's boyfriend issues. Remember that they are HER/THEIR issues, though, and NOT yours. It is important to take care of youself and maintain your boundaries. NOT trying to discount anything, I promise. Just trying to help put things into perspective! Hang in there!

Waving hello to everyone else!!!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 470/ticker/175

Height: 5'10"

penmage....relationships can be such huge triggers. They are for me. I'm trying to stay out of one for now until I can get healthier. I just recently destroyed one.

I am cooking tomorrow. I have been living off of granola bars and pbj sandwiches for awhile now. I'm making chilli. I just need to watch my portions. I will still try and keep my calories under 1600. Most days lately I have been coming in under 1000.
lilturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:38 PM   #93  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBelieveInMe2 View Post

Trish: So sorry to hear that you are down and stressed. I am worried about you cutting back your calories too much, because your body will go into starvation mode and store fat. Your metabolism will slow way down, too. I know I am always saying this, but I am really just trying to help. If you can, try to eat at least a little something about every 3 hours to keep your metabolism going. I know this is hard when you don't feel like cooking anything, but you could keep some mini carrots or other veggies or berries or nuts on hand which would be easy to grab pretty quickly for a small snack. Other good easy options are cheese sticks or cubes. Just eat something so that your body can rely on the fact that it will be fed and stay out of starvation/fat-storing mode. I just don't want you to sabotage your efforts by eating too few calories! You CAN find a healthy balance!!! It is much easier said than done, believe me ~ I know ~ but YOU CAN DO IT!!! For now, maybe aim at just finding a healthIER balance; shoot for a little improvement each day to keep you working toward positive changes. It all adds up. I believe in you, Trish!!!
I've read different things on metabolism and the whole starvation mode thing. Your body really can't slow down or speed up your metabolism that much some studies say. That said I do need to eat healthier and eat more real meals. Snacks like you mentioned are a good idea.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #94  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Today I turned 59, and I got a good number on the scale! 284, which is down 7 pounds since last month. I don't have much else to report: tonight's festivities will be at home with Bob, with a big Greek salad and a dark chocolate bar (with ginger—yum!) for dessert. And a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio, my favorite white. Plus I see at least three presents wrapped and waiting. =grin=

My rule about birthdays is that you absolutely do not have to do anything you don't want to do. In this phase of my life I rarely do anything I don't want to do anyway. =laugh= So I may work on a collage, I may write a letter or a postcard, or I may just be totally lazy and read a crime novel. In other words, an ordinary happy day.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #95  
I can do it!!!

Smile Happy Birthday, Fiona!!!

Fi: !!! I hope you are having a wonderful day and not doing anything you don't want to do! Good rule of thumb for a birthday! Congrats on losing 7 pounds in the last month!!! That is awesome!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Trish: I hope your chili tastes yummy!!! I really need to work on portion control, too. It is so difficult when the food tastes good. But WE CAN DO IT!!!

Waving hello to everyone else!

Busy day so far. But my hubby and I did make time to take our dogs for a short walk. Didn't want to overdo it on my foot, but all seems to be well with it after the walk. Whew! It is a bright, sunny day here today, so the walk felt so good!!! I soooooooooo can't wait for Spring!!! I can feel it in the air today!!! My eating has been better the past couple days. I think I finally got my tantrum out of my system. My main focus right now is on portion control. Doing a bit better with portions lately, thank God! I need to be constantly vigilant, it seems, though, at least for now. I hope I can begin to naturally eat less one of these days.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #96  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by penmage View Post
I finally worked up the courage to delete Justin from Facebook tonight. He didn't delete me, and wouldn't talk to me, after I asked him to please do one or the other. So I took matters into my own hands tonight. I couldn't take it anymore. Seeing him post things and completely ignoring me.

I was going to marry that man, and I'm certain of that beyond a shadow of a doubt.

My heart hurts.
That took courage to do. I'm so sorry you had to go through this.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #97  
on a journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona W View Post
Today I turned 59, and I got a good number on the scale! 284, which is down 7 pounds since last month. I don't have much else to report: tonight's festivities will be at home with Bob, with a big Greek salad and a dark chocolate bar (with ginger—yum!) for dessert. And a nice bottle of Pinot Grigio, my favorite white. Plus I see at least three presents wrapped and waiting. =grin=

My rule about birthdays is that you absolutely do not have to do anything you don't want to do. In this phase of my life I rarely do anything I don't want to do anyway. =laugh= So I may work on a collage, I may write a letter or a postcard, or I may just be totally lazy and read a crime novel. In other words, an ordinary happy day.
Happy Birthday, Fi. I hope you have a great day!!!

I am struggling today, ladies. I must have missed some meds because I am so down today. I am gathering all my strength just to get through, I worked today. It was the hardest thing to do, being so down. I wanted to call in but I didn't.

I took all my meds today and got myself a pill reminder, to separate my pills so I don't forget them anymore. Hopefully, by in the morning, I might feel a little better????? I have to work for an 1.5 hours in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. I am a home health aide, I work with elderly people.

I hope you all are alright and this post finds you well.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #98  
I can do it!!!

Red face ohiofreespirit

ohiofreespirit: Sorry you are feeling so down today. I hope your pill reminder will help and that you will feel much better in the morning. I will say a prayer for you!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #99  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, y'all, for all the birthday wishes, all the happy faces and balloons!

I hope the rest of you will be emboldened to announce your birthdays as well. The support for healthy choices even when celebrating is really nice to have. How about everyone go ahead and tell us your birthdays, so we can jot them down in our datebooks? Come on, don't be shy...

I had a nice little party with Bob last night. That's the second recent occasion for which we've had a party for two with the food just bein' a large Greek salad. He likes it, I like it...I think we have the makings of a tradition. Nothing like crunchy veggies and olives and feta cheese to lift the spirits! I had one little piece of garlic bread, then left the rest for Bob to eat. My dark chocolate bar with tiny chunks of ginger in it was sublime. But the real highlight of the party was that Bob bought me five (!) new books with gorgeous images in them that I can either scan or cut up (yes, I do cut up new books) for use in collage: lizards of the American Southwest, textiles of India, folk art from all over, science & technology, and strange maps. We both had lots of fun playing with them, and I am SO inspired!

I'll make more personal comments tomorrow, when I've finished the collage I'm working on right now: it's got some time pressure on it. I hope everyone's psyched for an AWESOME week!

(Sorry to be so chirpy...I know that can sometimes be annoying when you're feeling low...but I am BI-polar...)

Last edited by Fiona W; 02-23-2014 at 02:01 PM.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #100  
on a journey

Thank you for your thoughts. So far no change. I feel like a zombie. I did go to work today and that helped me.

I am doing all the things my therapist would tell me to do so I will be alright in time. My meds will stabilize me in time. I have faith.

Much love to all.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #101  
I can do it!!!

Smile Hello!

Ate well most of the day, but I allowed myself a bit of leeway at dinner, because tomorrow I am going to begin following the DASH diet principles. There is a two-week PHASE ONE which includes lean proteins, non-starchy veggies, low and non-fat unsweetened yogurt, nuts and seeds, and NO fruit. No bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes the first 2 weeks either, so tonight I allowed myself to have a baked potato with just butter and a roll and a half with cinnamon butter. There are sample menus in the DASH Diet book I finally received, so I will pick and choose what I like from each meal and snack suggestions offered over a 2 week period. I am excited but nervous about starting this new way of eating. Many more foods will be introduced in PHASE TWO (after the 2 weeks in phase one is up), such as fruit, whole grains, and other low and non-fat dairy items. It looks like sugar-free Jello will be my new best friend! I can eat lots of it as a fruit substitute and dessert in phase one. The DASH diet has been ranked the #1 best diet overall by U.S. News & World Report for the past 4 years. It is supposed to be a diet/way of eating that I can sustain for a lifetime. So I figure it is worth a try. I am really focusing on this as a "way of eating" rather than a "diet." It will only work if it works FOR ME ~ for a lifetime! Phase One will be challenging, but Phase Two sounds pretty doable. Wish me luck!

Fi: Happy to hear that you enjoyed your birthday! And keeping it healthy is awesome!!! My birthday already passed on December 4th. I turned 47. I want to get my health back this year!

ohiofreespirit: Sorry to hear that you don't feel much better today, but glad that work helped. It sure sounds like you have a handle on it and you know that you will balance out with time. Good for you! Hang in there in the meantime!
Old 02-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #102  

I cheated on Saturday. It was the first time since Christmas. I'm really frustrated not knowing if I am making any progress.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #103  
I can do it!!!

Thumbs up lilturtle

Trish: If Saturday is the first time you cheated since Christmas, YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS!!!!!

Rode the bike for 30 minutes again (foot still hurt) at the gym while daughter worked out. I work out with our trainer in the morning. Began the DASH diet today. So far, so good. I am HOPEFUL that I can lose some weight if I follow Phase One of this diet properly. It is mainly just very healthy eating. For lunch, I had 3 deli-sliced turkey "roll-ups" in sliced mozarella cheese (along with a coleslaw salad). I thought I would really miss the bread, but I didn't at all! It was incredibly delicious! So I already found a new healthy lunch item that I love! WooHoo!!!

Oh, and I received news from my psychiatrist's office today that I can cut my dose of Buspar in half. I have been taking 30 mg twice a day, and I am going to try 30 mg once a day for now. I am hoping it will give me more energy. I tend toward fatigue. It makes me a little nervous to go down on Buspar, because I am an anxious person, but I really want to go as low on my meds as he will allow (and as my body/mental health will allow) since all of my meds seem to be making me so incredibly weight-loss resistant.

Last edited by IBelieveInMe2; 02-24-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #104  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Belated Happy B-day to Fi!

very sorry I have not checked in, I had to deal with President's Heck Week (in a ski industry town, it is huge, even busier than Christmas/New Year's week)

IBelieve, best wishes with the new way of eating! I will look that DASH up, it sounds very South-Beachy which can also be a new way of eating for life, and it also has a 2 week intro period.

I will catch up with all of you when i get a day off! working 6 day/s week and more hours, and I've been putting my cash tips into my moto leather jacket pocket for when the glorious riding days begin.

Yesterday I completed ONE DAY of being on a sensible diet . Yeah one day. I haven't been able to do that in sooo long. It is weak of me to blame someone else but my DH buys ice cream, mini chocolate bars, a whole cheesecake last week. Yikes.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Hi All,

Happy birthday Fi!
Kathleen how exciting that you are starting a different type of eating, I hope that it works well for you so you can continue it and start seeing some results. Good luck with your med changes, that can be scary but it seems like you are really ready for a change. I am sorry that your foot is still bothering you, how do you like biking? Before my back injury a few years ago I rode a lot, and it was very satisfying and helped with my anxiety in itself.

Ohio I am sorry that you are struggling right now. Keeping you in my thoughts and sending hugs!

Trish, only cheating once since xmas is great! You are making progress with yourself internally every day that you control your eating and it doesn't control you.

Penmage, good job on making the decision about justin. That took a lot of strength, courage, and respect for yourself and I really applaud you. You deserve better than that, and if you keep the respect for yourself then you will find the right man. I am sorry for the pain that you are feeling right now, and I hope that you know it will fade and better things are coming to you. Hugs and love!

well i am not doing super great. Feeling burned out and spent the weekend having ugly cries under my blanket. Also have been pretty grumpy and irritable, and eating bad things... the girl scouts are out and about...my partner is doing fine but the residual stress from the whole incident is really pulling me down. Sirens just about give me a panic attack, and if I don't get a response from him within a couple of minutes same thing. I don't want to be a crazy lady, but its very stressful. I don't even want to say all the things I ate last night and my depression level has been off the charts and scary. I upped my vitamin D intake, and have started seeing my acupuncturist again so hopefully that will help. Does anxiety count as exercise?? I think I found a psychiatrist I am interested in seeing but still need to make an appointment. Was hoping to find more patient reviews for her first but not a lot of luck so far so I guess I'm just going to go for it and see if it works out.

Thanks as always for listening, sorry for those I missed and Hugs to everyone!
Chelsea
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote