Ups & Downs Support Group: January 2014

You're on Page 8 of 8
Go to
  • I'm still here!!!
    Sorry I was AWOL the past few days. Feeling better. I think my stomach aches lately are due to anxiety. I am really frustrated that my efforts have not paid off on the scale. I have been rebelling a bit, which only hurts my efforts to lose weight, I know, but I am mad. I never quit working out, but my food intake has not been good. I keep going back and forth with food. Had a few splurges while throwing my tantrum and the poor food choices tasted good! It just does not seem to be in my chemistry to quit craving the bad stuff. I think I always will, so I must maintain control over my choices as often as possible.

Trish: Happy to see you checking in often! It is always great to hear from you. I hope you get an appointment soon to get weighed, just so you know where you stand. Keep your chin up! A meal plan for February sounds like a great idea! Go for it!

Holly: You had me going with your beautiful description of a summer night! I can't wait! My kids have had 2 more school days off (today and tomorrow) due to the extremely cold weather. I am so over the bitter cold!!! Thanks for being here for lilturtle and ohiofreespirit in my absence. And, btw, you are NOT a "jerk" when you don't address everyone personally!!! It is just nice to hear from you!

Amy: Congrats on your new guinea pig, Snickers!!! I am so happy that you went ahead and got another furry friend, despite your horrible experience with Cashmere. Snickers will bring you lots of joy, I'm sure! That's my favorite candy bar, btw! So sorry to hear that you were teased as a kid and that you got upset when discussing teasing with your mom. I have ZERO tolerance for mean kids (or adults, for that matter)!!! My daughter is handicapped and I hate the thought of kids teasing her. So far, it has never been an issue, thank God!!! She is a very tough kid, though. She doesn't let much of what others say get to her like I do. Have you ever talked to anyone (like a therapist) about your experience of being teased? It is such a serious issue. On a happier note, have a blast at your Lady Antebellum concert on Thursday!!! I love them, too! Saw them recently at a local private concert and they were fantastic!!!

ohiofreespirit: Yes, it is extremely cold here lately!!! BRRRRR!!!!! Hope you are indoors and staying warm much of the time! I am so ready for spring!!! Glad to hear from you! Keep on doing your walking DVDs!!! Way to go!!!

LilDazed: What happens when you have a meltdown? (Only answer if comfortable doing so.) Sorry to hear you had one, but happy that the gym and your sister helped make things better! Thanks for checking in. I can relate to feeling HUNGRY!!! Some days, I feel that way all day long. It helps if I stay busy.

I am worried about Fi. Does anyone have any contact with her outside of this group? I hope she's okay. Haven't heard much at all from her for awhile. Sending you BIG HUGS, Fi, if you are reading this!!! Please check in, if only to say hello!!!
  • IBelieve Don't try and quit the cravings try and find the healthest ways to meet them. Eliminating things makes it hard to stick with it but if you find small healthy ways to give into your cravings you will feel better. And anxiety defiantly messes with the stomach, hope it gets better soon!!!

LilTurtle You'll get that appt just stay positive!!! How do your clothes fit and how do you feel! That matters too!

VermontChick Omg you have no idea how much I feel you on the loafing around all day and not dragging yourself out of bed till the LAST minute on work days, literally think I made that post. If I'm off I sleep half the day and that feel mad I did that and if I work I wait till I literally have the exact right amount of minutes no extra and then I'll get up! It's so frustrating, but I am learning I suck at working out after work, and if I don't work out I get 10x as anxious so I'm trying to force myself out of bed at a better time.

ohio Can you let us borrow some snow? I want snow! Too bad that DOESN'T happen where I live, like ever! Good job finding ways to work out regardless of the snow, that would be SUPER hard for me.

auntyWELCOME! Look forward to getting to know you. Don't worry about not addressing everyone!

As for me I've been busy busy busy, but doing REALLY well with my anxiety and stuff. Well REALLY well compared to where I was two weeks ago. The dosage and new meds is really good and if I work out I'm much much better too! Feeling good and everyone keeps commenting on my weight!

Has anyone noticed that people comment when it starts to stall? Like you lose 20 pounds and maybe one or two people says something, but then you sit at that 20 pound lost for a bit and it seems during THAT time way more people comment!!!!

Looking to start my new job which is much more related to my future field in the next few weeks.

Need to go work out since I worked early this morning!

XOXO!
  • Hello! I have today and tomorrow off; I stayed in bed til 11:30 this morning! but I am going to try not to beat myself up about it. I just slammed down 3 cups of delicious coffee and feel OK to tackle some cleaning in here. Sunny and 16 degrees outside; that is relatively mild compared to the -15 we've been having!

Kathleen - I am so sorry you are (were) frustrated by not seeing recent results despite your efforts. All I can say is, keep on keepin on! It's better than the alternative, which is not trying at all, right? Hey and your daughter sounds like an awesome person! You are right that teasing is a horrible thing. I was teased by my weight from 3rd grade to about 6th grade, and those few years scarred me for life.

Lawgirl - congrats on the new job! and I'm not happy that you also share my bed-loving but glad there is someone who knows what it's like! Yet today, I know I will hustle and get alot done this afternoon. I am SO glad that you say that your dosage is good and that you're even better if you work out...GREAT!!!

Hi AuntyJam we are here, you don't need to feel obligated, just know we are all in the same boat and trying to get through.

Lil'turtle, really sorry you havn't gotten your appt. yet. But good that you check in often here Must be frustrating not to know if you've made progress but knowing that you are trying, that is what to hold onto.

Ohiospirit, Hi glad that you are doing well with the walking dvd's. I am an at-home exerciser, have been for years.
    Looking forward to your riding a bicycle in warmer weather! I know I've mentioned it before but I love www.fitnessblender.com and you can find their workouts on youtube. Everything from stretching, light cardio, weights, and cah-razy 1000 calorie workouts!

Hi Li'lDazed - really great that the gym and your sister helped you through

HI Amy HOw is Snickers? (cute name) and how are you?

Fi - we are missing you and hoping you are okay?

I am curious...do any of you experience such a swing from depression, to okay behavior? not quite manic swings..what I find, is that if I think I am low, depressed, apathetic, no energy, I can continue that mode...but sometimes if I try to force myself to a more upbeat mode, I can salvage the day ..does that mean I am not clinically depressed? does that mean I am just lazy in my thinking or something? I am really glad that I CAN do this sometimes. But I also remember before I was on Wellbutrin, that I truly had suicidal thoughts at the worst, and extreme apathy at the least (I can remember thinking, 'if tomorrow doesn't come, i really dont' care')
  • Thank you all for the enocuragement. I am hanging in there. I am sick now which is probably good for the diet. It's the flu or some bug. I feel awful. Still no appointment but I am going to buy my own scale on Friday. I need to be able to keep track myself.
  • Hi there...
    Hi there everyone...

Believe- I love lil Snickers, I took him to the vet today and he got a GREAT report Thanks, I love his name too! Tonight, I held him close to my chest tonight and I think he was a bit scared at first but he seemed to relax. He is such a sweetheart...

Thanks, yes, I have talked with therapists about the teasing although it is still a subject that is sore and I haven't made peace with maybe because my parents were going through their divorce at the time and I blamed myself for that too. I am a much happier person than I was then, so thank God for that!

Holly- Thanks! I love his name because he looks like the colors of a snickers bar, he is brown and white and the brown is the same color as the chocolate or caramel. He is adorable, my new bundle of love!!

I am okay, thanks but I am a bit tired. I think I had a bit of a stomach bug yesterday but now I feel better. I am so psyched to go to the concert tomorrow! It should be a lot of fun! I am pursuing the possibility of moving into Philly and I received some listings from a realtor yesterday.

Lil turtle- Feel better
    Take care everyone, night.
  • Ok I have Bi-Poler and I'm depressed. I'm on Citalopram (Celexa) and I've been on it for a month. I dont have a doctor (mom is trying to find me one). I dont know what to do. I think I'll call the place where I get my Citalopram (Celexa) from and talk to them. I'm stressed out because my coach is moving away and I'm in the process of trying to a new agency to go to.
  • Tiffany, the best advice I can give to you is to use skills to get you through until you can get to a Dr. Now don't laugh but these small things can help your depression.
    Get outside and walk, even if it is only for 15 minutes. Don't stay trapped inside, make yourself go. Next, start a journal and start writing. Just write, anything at all, even if its your name over and over and over. Sooner or later words will start to come out, your thoughts and feelings will start to come onto the paper. It is important for you to do this. Please take my advice, it really will help your depression.

I hope you get into see a Dr soon and maybe they can up/change your meds. Try to find yourself a good therapist also. You need someone to talk to, to work out your problems. Therapy saved my life and helped make me strong.
  • Just checking in. Nothing much to report. Still on the sick side. Feeling a bit anxious too. Maybe because of not eating. I am ordering the scale tomorrow on Amazon.
  • Yesterday was good. Glad I was out of my anxiety funk and it seems to have carried over today too. I woke up feeling refreshed. The B Vitamins seem to really help keep me awake and wanting to do something productive. Not to mention the endorphins from the gym.

Weigh-in day is tomorrow. Crossing my fingers that I've lost at least 2 pounds. We shall see!
  • Hey everyone - Mind if I join? I see a lot of familiar names.

VT Mom - I can relate to those swings. They're not huge swings, but it's like a mild teeter from 'down/no energy/why do I even both exercising' to 'this is why I do it/feeling better/make myself workout' kinda swing. It's rarely a feeling of "OMG I'm so happy and full of energy!!" Yeah, I can relate.

I'm blaming my current mood on the weather. It's exhausting and I'm tired of the cold and no sunlight. As far as my diet/exercise, I feel like I'm good for a few days, and then I get tired/lazy. I cannot wait for Spring.
  • Hi Everyone,

I caught up on everyones posts, and I FEEL for you! I am so glad that we can all come here where there are many people who really understand what we are going though.

Trish, it is so nice to see you checking in more often. I am sorry for your upset stomach, are you working on your anxiety at all or taking a med for it? I suffered from the same thing from about ages 15 to 24 until I started taking celexa. I hope that being able to check on your weight at home relieves some of that for you.

Seabiscuit! I am so happy for you about Snickers! My aunts have both had guinea pigs for as long as I can remember, and they are wonderful little guys

Kathleen, I am glad that you are feeling a little better, and you have obviously been a wonderful mother since your daughter seems well able to take everything that life throws her way. It's ok to have those moments of rebellion, they can be a great reminder of what you are working for in the first place. Sometimes they end up as more of a slap in the face, but as always every single moment is a new chance to begin again.

Holly, those swings are part of the normal cycle of depression, and bipolar. Everyone experiences a different cycle and it can change when medication is introduced(that is the goal after all!) Wellbutrin has been a help to me in changing the amount of time and the severity of my depression vs. normal time. It doesn't mean that you are lazy!!! It is just what the anti-depressant is supposed to facilitate. I imagine that it is just what "normal" people do automatically, but which we need a little help with and that with practice and the support of the med, will become easier over time. Do you check in with your Dr. regularly about your meds and how they are affecting your moods? He/She can be a good reference point for you, and let you know what is normal or abnormal and what kind of changes to be looking for or looking out for.

LilDazed, I am glad that you are feeling better!

Fi, I hope you are well and you are in my thoughts.

I went to the DR. before I left for the conference last week and had my med levels adjusted. Increased my mood stabilizer, decreased my celexa again. It seems to have helped some but it is soon to tell for sure I guess. I feel pretty functional right now anyway, and more motivated. I have been under the weather, my mood stabilizer makes me sick when the dose is changed, and then I caught a head cold so haven't been exercising very much but I have been managing my food intake a little better, aka not stuffing myself . unfortunately my nerve issues are not getting any better and have actually gotten worse in my left wrist so its time to go see someone again. Someday I hope to not have to go to so many appointments. I WILL be healthy.
    In other news, the geese are laying eggs again like crazy! Yumm! I love this time of year. The days are noticeably longer, and the animals are all becoming more active. Its nice to get home before dark some days

All my best to all of you,
    Chelsea
  • I am going to be starting therapy soon. Anxiety is one of many areas I need t work on. I'm starting to feel better. I might eat some real food today. I hope to ave a good, relaxing weekend. Going grocery shopping tomorrow.
  • WELCOME new friends!!!
    Tiffany189 and coffeeshopgirl: to our group! Glad you found us. Tomorrow, February 1st, we will begin a new thread, titled Ups & Downs Support Group: February 2014. Please follow us there and post to let us know you found the new thread.

Tiffany189: What sport are you involved in? Sorry about the extra stress about your coach moving away. Have faith! It will all work out for you in the long run. I think the first thing you need to do is find a good, qualified therapist to talk to; one who you trust and feel comfortable opening up to. It helped me immensely. I still touch base with my therapist (12 years later) on a regular basis. There was a time when I went to her twice a week, because I needed it. It was my lifeline. A good therapist can help you with your depression and anxiety about finding a new agency to coach you. You should really have a qualified psychiatrist prescribing your meds as well. I like the tips that ohiofreespirit gave you to use in the meantime. Journaling saved my life as well. As she said, just write anything and everything that comes to your mind. It will help. And, yes, exercise of any kind is supposed to help with depression, too. Best of luck to you as you get things settled. I am happy you posted. We are here for you with our support and advice, but you really need to be under the care of professionals, too, since on meds and depressed. There IS help for you and you deserve to be happy!!! Hang in there!

coffeeshopgirl: Of course we are HAPPY to let you join in the group! I won't even hold it against you that you are from..... ..... Michigan! Sorry, but I am a HUGE Buckeye fan! Couldn't resist! Our weather has been ridiculous, too, and I am so ready for Spring!!! Love the warm weather!
  • Just a REMINDER!!!
    Sorry that I don't have time to reply to everone personally right now, but I want to take this time to remind all of you that tomorrow, February 1st, we will move to a new thread: Ups & Downs Support Group: February 2014. Please make sure that you look for it and post to let us know you made it onto the new thread. I am doing this new monthly thread thing to help keep our group organized and to keep threads from getting out of control with too many pages of posts. Hope it isn't too much of an inconvenience.

I will try to check in later, but I don't know if it will be tonight or on the new thread in the morning. I am reading along and keeping up with everyone as much as possible. Still haven't heard from Fi. Hope she will join us again on the new February thread!

Trish: It is so nice to see you posting more often!!! Glad to hear that you are going to start therapy soon. It will change your life for the better!