3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Will I lose weight on Wellbutrin the 2nd time around? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/288115-will-i-lose-weight-wellbutrin-2nd-time-around.html)

jillgrand123 09-30-2013 12:55 PM

Will I lose weight on Wellbutrin the 2nd time around?

Will I lose weight on Wellbutrin the 2nd time around?

The first time I took it, I was taking 300mg of the generic for around 2 years. I had lost about 10 lbs. Eventually I tapered off it and then stopped taking it completely and gained 25 lbs! (I had also started birth control around that time, so that may be part of the reason for my rapid weight gain).

I plan on going back on it and I want to know if I can expect the same weight loss effects or will my body already be used to it?

Ps. I've been off of it for 3 weeks and my Dr said I can go back on it once it's been a month.

jillgrand123 10-03-2013 05:24 PM

Anyone have a similar experience? Any feedback would be super helpful!!

vivianmichaels 10-04-2013 02:07 AM

Yes !!

Yes, wellbutrin is very helpful in weightloss only if you had gained weight because of smoking or depression.

Several researches and studies already proved it.

jillgrand123 10-04-2013 09:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback :)

I think I gained the weight from going off it, so I'm wondering if my body will not be used to it already and I will lose the same way I did the first time.

cassieleeanne 10-08-2013 01:41 PM

I started taking wellbutrin when I was very depressed and was eating my emotions, I have no problem losing while on it.

mainecyn 10-08-2013 02:16 PM

I have been on Wellburtrin XL for more than 5 years now, during this time I have at my heaviest, and my lightest. For me, Wellburtin didn't make me gain or lose weight. Everyone is different, each case is individual I'm sure.

mandydawn77 10-08-2013 02:45 PM

My doctor put me on Wellbutrin a couple of years ago after I quit smoking and had put on a lot of weight due to things like being on steroids for over a year for RA and having radio-iodine therapy on my thyroid which threw me into hypothyroidism. Anyway, he said that a side effect of it was helping with weight loss and with the smoking cessation. I had already quit smoking, so who knows if it helped with that and I don't think I really lost any weight until I started dieting. I still take it, but I have no idea if it really does anything to help me. I've thought about stopping it just to see if it makes a difference.

If it helped you lose weight the first time around I don't see why it wouldn't help again. It's worth a shot.

seagirl 10-14-2013 04:09 PM

I've been on it for about a month now. 5 pounds came off (and stayed off) the first couple of weeks. My appetite is definitely much lower. Like today it is 4pm, I had toast with peanut butter for breakfast. Around 2 I was a little hungry but nothing seemed good so I had a cookie. I'm hungry again, and thirsty I think but even though my stomach wants food my brain can't think of anything appetizing. It's been this way for a week or so. I'm hoping it results in some weight loss. Usually when I do end up eating dinner, it is much less than I used to.

nextphase 10-19-2013 07:03 PM

When I was taking Wellbutrin, I used to practically cry when I realized I had to eat and there was absolutely nothing at all that I found appetizing. I actually remember driving to the McDonald's for a snack wrap and almost crying when eating it.

I ended up tapering off. I lost a lot of weight really quickly, but I couldn't deal with feeling like that all the time.

I was, however, very motivated and my work output was great. I can see why it's prescribed for ADHD. My focus was laser sharp.

Sasha29 10-22-2013 12:14 AM

I've been in it for five or six weeks now. For the first week or two I felt like it suppressed my appetite, but after that it was back to normal. My urge to binge eat is lessened somewhat. I am only on 100 mg twice a day. My doctor bumped it up to 150 mg twice a day and I was a wreck. :( So I'm stuck on 200 until my next appointment.