Long term depression and losing weight

• I am a mother of two girls. I have had depression for quite some time now triggered by the loss of my father when I was 18. I had antenatal and postnatal depression with both my girls but it was worse after my second daughter requiring high dose medication anti-depressants and anti-psychotics.

In regards to where I am now I have been off my medication for three months and I feel fine, I still see my therapist once a week to maintain what I've achieved so far getting to this stage.

My weight loss journey has been up and down, most of it with my mood. I used to be a ballet dancer prior to having my older daughter and was a Uk size 6. I put on five stone whilst pregnant. I found that I dropped a substantial amount of weight after she was born losing 3 stone taking me to a healthy weight however being at home most of the time and an awful relationship with her dad led me to comfort eat and put on a lot of the weight I'd lost. Four years later I finally built of the courage to kick that horrible man out of my house. I rekindled old friendships and was out and about a lot more losing enough weight to be a UK size 10. I felt so happy at this point.

I then met my current, lovely, supportive partner(about six months after getting rid of the loser) I got settled in our relationship and put on about a stone in the process (too many takeaways)! I then fell pregnant with daughter no 2. and put on another four stone taking my to an all time high of 15 stone. Again like before I lost weight quickly post birth getting down to around 11 stone with breastfeeding, exercise and healthy eating however the PND kicked in and I ended up on the medication which I really needed a side effect was increased appetite so I went up to 13 and a half stone. Since stopping the medication three months ago I have lost 1 stone. My ultimate goal is 8st13lbs (125lbs) which I'm currently 51 lbs away from.

I've had plenty of opportunities and events to aim for in order to lose the weight. I'm currently around a UK Size 16-18 and am aiming to be size 10-12 by 10th August when we have a family wedding.

I've signed up on here for support in reaching my goals I want to have lost the rest of the weight taking me to about a UK size 8 by October. That's my story sorry for waffling on.

Has anyone else been through similar? Bad relationship? Depression? Medication weight gain?
  • I've been through mental illness/Medication weight gain. Luckily, I was able to get off the bad meds, and I'm on better meds now. The weight is still here, but I'm working on it. That's all we can do.
  • I've been through your situation but luckily i am not yet a mom. I don't think i am ready to have kids especially in my situation. I still have depression and under some meds and been seeing a psychologist since i was 24. But at least you have goals and have the will power to reach them. That means you are handling your depression well. I hope you will be able to reach your goals soon.