Emergency at School Today

• I am dying to say more because I need to share, but the media doesn't even know the story yet. Because of that, all I can say is one of my students stabbed two people last night. This boy is the nicest, kindest, most amazing young man I have ever met. I have a rap he wrote me for being an awesome teacher taped to me wall.

The victims are fine, he is now in custody, and today has been on of the most f*cked up days of my life.

You ladies (and the odd gentleman) are my world, and I just needed to tell you what happened today.

Sometimes my weight loss journey seems so d*mn insignificant in the grand scheme of things. And you know what? Sometimes I feel so god d*mn insignificant...I am with that boy for 5 hours a freaking day. How did I not see this?
  • I'm so sorry! This is one of my biggest fears as a teacher - that one of my kids will do something crazy stupid that will negatively impact the rest of his or her life.
  • Wow, how scary!! Sometimes people just suffer a lot silently and they reach a breaking point. I hope your student gets all of the help and support he may need.
  • Definitely puts things in perspective doesn't it. 5 hours is not enough to know the entire kid so don't blame yourself. I have a ds with issues (not as serious as this) but his teachers don't believe me because they don't see it at school. They act like i'm just making up stories.

Plus, kids act differently based on who they hang around. Don't blame yourself.
  • Don't blame yourself. You obviously had a positive effect on this boy's life, but as anyone who has been around kids knows, sometimes other influences win out.
  • Please don't blame yourself. Teachers, like you, are wonderful people who contribute immensely to our society and we would be lost in society without teachers.

What this person did is not your responsibility.

I am sure you have contributed positively to a lot of individuals.
  • So glad that you and everyone else is ok.

There was no way for you to know this was going to happen. I'm sure you will learn more in the coming days but please don't blame yourself. These things happen and sometimes it's by people that we'd never ever dream of doing something like this.

We are here for you whenever you want to talk.
  • I'm so sorry, that's just terrible! I'm so glad that the victims are ok. I'm (maybe wrongfully) assuming you teach teenagers? Me too, at an alternative school, and sometimes there is just so much more going on and we only get a glimpse. And sometimes, too, these random things that happen aren't who that kid is, not really.

I worked at a group home for a while, too tough for me, I didn't last very long. But about a month after I quit I was watching the news and one of our kids was arrested for murdering a homeless man. Very brutally, and for no reason at all, it was random and just so horrible. This kid was with us for months, and I worked 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week, never would have thought this kid capable of such a thing. Still bothers me. I suspect heavy drugs involved in his actions, but who knows. Has made me question my judgement of people ever since though.
  • We can never know what a person is thinking or feeling, no matter how much we know them. Sometimes we don't even know ourselves. He is young (even 18-year-old are young IMO) and, unfortunately, didn't look for a better way to vent his frustrations. Please don't put blame on yourself for what happened. He made a wrong decision.

I'm sorry that this has happened on your watch and I hope it doesn't change your mind about being a teacher. You sound like an awesome teacher.
  • Thank you so much for the support, everyone. I really appreciate it. I just got in from visiting my student in jail, and while it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, I think it meant a lot to him. My other students are doing okay, and we had a healing ceremony at school yesterday where students wrote letters of their feelings and we burned them in a traditional ceremony. It was beautiful to hear the forgiveness in all sides.

Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and this draws attention to mental health issues in the North.

Thanks again everyone. I'm taking it easy today, but also feeling much less insignificant today.
  • You are with him for five hours a day, but who is with him the rest of the time? You'd think his parents would have a clue that something MAJOR is wrong with their kid????? Glad his victims were not more seriously hurt.
  • Quote: Thank you so much for the support, everyone. I really appreciate it. I just got in from visiting my student in jail, and while it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, I think it meant a lot to him. My other students are doing okay, and we had a healing ceremony at school yesterday where students wrote letters of their feelings and we burned them in a traditional ceremony. It was beautiful to hear the forgiveness in all sides.

Here's hoping he gets the help he needs and this draws attention to mental health issues in the North.

Thanks again everyone. I'm taking it easy today, but also feeling much less insignificant today.

I am aware of these issues because our school system sometimes gets kids from there when situations really blow up. It is a very hard situation but I have learned over 40 years in education that when something bad happens it is usually a shock when it is discovered who did it.

Hang in there, it was very supportive to have the healing ceremony for the other students. Also it is very fortunate that the victims did not die. That would be even more horrific all around.
  • Hugs

I'm glad you're ok and that everyone else involved is ok as well