Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #46  
on a journey

Hello friends. I hope everyone is well. I find myself struggling today. I am not managing my money very well lately and it depresses me. I don't know why I make the decisions that I do. I can't stop spending money. I need to get my **** together.

I find myself close to depression today, the first time in a long time. I guess i need to count my blessings. I have a good job which I enjoy very much.

I hope that everyone is doing better than I am today.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 PM   #47  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

S/C/G: 271/217/140

Ohio,

I hear you on spending money. I overspend at times too. It has been suggested to me to work on and follow a budget but that is something that I don't really stick to. I am more cognizant of what I spend now but it still is a struggle at times. I wish you all the best.

Take care.
seabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #48  

S/C/G: 185/183/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone!

I'm sitting again at 183.6 lbs. I really gotta get back onto a workout regimen, and I know it'll get better once we move. Ugh, i'm so tired lately that I'm not even making send in this post

Regardless, I still wanted to stop by and say hello to everyone. Glad to see we're doing reasonably well. Moreta, I'm so glad your kitty came back! Seabiscuit, good to hear that you're doing ok and I really hope you don't have mono. Ohio, I totally googled industrial ear piercing, and I think it's pretty cool (oh, and gutsy - I can imagine it hurt since it pierced through the cartilage). VTMom, good job on the weight loss! Keep it up!

Ok, I promise i'll post something more interesting next time. For now, I'm off to be a couch potato. Why don't they have a potato icon; they have a broccoli and carrot. I demand more vegetables!

Lol. Tomorrow is Friday!!!
coffeeshopgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #49  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

LOL @ Coffeeshopgirl demanding more vegetables sorry you are so frazzled!

Moreta I am also so glad your kitty came back!

ohio, are you feeling better today?

Hi Seabiscuit hope you had a nice time at the volunteer lunch.

at all others here.

I wonder if I am at a point where I could be weaned off my medication. This past year, I do not remember any episodes of really low moods, which was a huge improvement from the previous year, when I was so apathetic, I didn't care if the next day came or not. And the year before was fraught with very bad thoughts. So definite improvement over the years. I have never had an appt with anyone but my personal family doctor. But I am afraid of my safety net
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #50  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Talking Hi everyone

Hey there-

Coffeeshopgirl- It's good to see you! Thank you for your well wishes. I have the order for the Mono test so I am going to get that done on Monday at the lab.

That's a cute idea about more veggies! I need to eat more veggies. I hear they are so good on pizzas, wraps, etc., but I still am not a big fan, sigh.

I hope you feel less tired. I have been tired too lately, that's why I am getting the Mono test. I wonder if spring is aggravating my allergies a lot, I mean I know it bothers me but I wonder if that is why I feel so tired. I hope we both get some spring in our step and bounce back with energy

VT Mom- Hey, it's great to see you too! I had a wonderful time at the volunteer luncheon, thank you! It was very well done with a lot of nice speakers, good food and a fun time. We have a lot of volunteers at our hospital and the hospital awards scholarships to teens too, which I think is great. After the luncheon, I got to meet the CEO who I wrote the letter of thanks to that I mentioned in the general chatter forum. He is so nice and kind. I really am glad that I went to the luncheon and got to meet him.

I hope you make the right decision for you regarding your meds. I know I, too have been tempted to be on less psych meds but I feel now that I don't want to 'rock the boat' with the decent med mix that I am on. I am leery of med changes unless they are really deemed necessary and I am afraid of ending up back in a hospital for psych symptoms getting worse if my meds are out of whack. That being said though, that is just my opinion and my experience. I would suggest that perhaps you can talk to your treatment team regarding your concerns, questions and ideas. Good luck!!

As for me, I am doing pretty well, just still tired. I had my eye exam today which went well. My eyes are almost back to normal now from the dilating drops that my eye doc gave me. Thank goodness, I don't need new lenses or frames. I get ophthalmic migraines which are so annoying and sometimes a little spooky where I have less vision in one eye, I have lost complete vision in one eye twice before. My eye doc told me I need to call him if that lasts for more than one hour because it could affect or be related to my retina. I see my neurologist this week about my migraines and my MRI came back normal, thank God. I am also grateful that my migraine medicine is finally covered under my insurance.

I see the nurse navigator Monday for health goals and a meal plan. I am nervous about getting weighed and that not such fun stuff. A friend of mine used to be a client of hers and thinks she is a good person. I still have concerns so I will voice those to her Monday.

Well, I have chatted a lot on here today!

Take care, have a good day.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #51  
on a journey

Hello everyone.

I am relaxing this weekend, I needed the time away from work. I am finding that my job is running into my weekend time so I am giving up one of my more needier clients. I know it's not his fault but if it wasn't one thing it was another. I was and still am to a certain extent burnt out.

I find that simply being home with my pets and watching some tv, resting. I need that one the weekend. I only wish I could stop my negative self-talk. It is what drives my anxiety. I hate being like this, hate it. I want to be normal, i hate being sick. I guess the key is my negative self-self talk. it gets my physical symptoms all riled up, like the need to shake my leg all the time or my stomach being all upset. i just get so scared that life is going to through me something that I cannot handle.

There. I said it. Life scares me. I'm afraid I can't take what it has to dish out.

Thanks for listening. This post means a lot to me.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #52  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

ohio - it takes alot of courage to type out what truly scares us!!

I think you're strong enough to take whatever life throws at you. And your daughter is coming in about 2 weeks, that will be so nice won't it!

please try to stifle the self-negative talk, i know that is hard, I'm guilty of that so much, but i've been trying not to automatically think negative thoughts about myself, we've got to train our thinking to go a more positive way.

enjoy your evening at home with your pets, and maybe tv or computer
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #53  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Red face

Hey everyone-

I am a bit depressed tonight. I am very grateful to my wonderful, amazing brother who is very supportive of me. I just wish that he lived closer to me. I am also very grateful to my best friend who is a different ex-boyfriend, we have stayed very close over about 3-4 years. I am seeing him tomorrow for lunch and I really enjoy his friendship, he seems to always make me laugh. I know he cares a lot about me.

I was depressed earlier tonight because of the relationship that I have with my parents even though they are divorced from each other and remarried to others. I just don't see eye to eye with them on some issues financially and about what I should be doing in my life. It is very upsetting to argue with both of them, I ended the conversation with my mother unpleasantly after yelling at her and I got off the phone upset, shortly in tears thereafter.

I guess I feel like my parents are trying to control me and they feel that they can to a degree because I am financially supported by them and the government's programs. It is very upsetting because I am intelligent and articulate and want to live my life the way I want to, but because of my disability, it seems I always need their approval, I feel like they treat me like a 36 yr old child

Well, I hope everyone has a good night I am going to bed soon. I think the reason that I have been staying in bed so much lately and been so tired is not mono, it is my depression due to my family situation.

Sigh, and I shall just continue to do my best.

Good night.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #54  

Hi everyone! I know it's late, but I wanted to check in with you all and see how everyone's doing. I'm tired of being a zombie & I miss my social chicks!

The apartment went through, and we're moving next weekend. Ugh, I can't wait to move (sarcasm). It'll be a lot of work, but I know it's worth it.

As for my weight loss, I've been seeing the importance of drinking water more and more. For instance, my lips have been getting really chapped lately, and I realize it's when I haven't had enough water throughout the day. I've also been able to stop my cravings by drinking a full bottle of water. Just an interesting observation - have anyone else noticed this?

Otherwise, nothing much new over here.

Ohio - I'm happy that you posted about needing to stop the negative self-talk. It's always good to recognize - and vocalize when we're ready - that we do that to ourselves. We all do it at some point: at first, we think we're motivating ourselves, pushing to be better than we are. And then it turns into more than that as we sink into depression/anxiety. Do you have an action plan on how to switch your negative self-talk into positive self-talk? Maybe next time you notice yourself doing it, you can restate the negative statement as a positive one. Something like "I'm never going to lose weight" to "I'm gonna do this. Today, I'm going to drink more water. Tomorrow, I'll have a healthy dinner and exercise for 30 minutes." Give yourself a positive statement and a mini goal, something to motivate yourself that's applicable to your mood. If you want help, let us know! We'll be glad to help out with some positive self-talk. And, life is scary - you're not alone in realizing that. I should tell you of my recurring failure dream sometime

VTMom - I like the idea of weaning yourself off your depression meds. I see your point though about discussing it with a different doctor. Hopefully your family doctor has been helpful in the past. I've known doctors who prefer to keep you on medication, which doesn't mesh well with my personal preference. I would chat with your dr first, and see if he/she thinks a referral is necessary, or if they can help you wean off or to a lower dosage. It never hurts to ask, right?

Seabiscuit - Family situations can certainly aid in depression. Based on your explanation, I can see why you're upset about your parents and their attempts to control you. *hugs* I'm glad to hear that your brother is a good support for you. Try to remember that regardless of your disability, your life and opinions are your choices to make. I hope the next conversation with your mom is more pleasant. Also, have fun with your friend at lunch tomorrow!

So, myy DH is snoring on the couch, which is both soothing and telling me it's time for bed, lol. Good night everyone!
Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #55  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Hey there everyone,

Coffeeshopgirl,

I wish you all the best with your move! I am highly considering a move this fall. In my opinion, moves can be exciting but stressful. I hope that you do things to take care of yourself without the food involved so you can feel good! I am finding that drinking water fills me up too! Often, I am thirsty instead of hungry.

I had a good day today! It was a lot of fun to see my friend and eat lunch with him. It didn't dawn on me until after the meal was over that I ate foods that I am supposed to be avoiding because of the food allergies, tomato and corn. Oh well, I am still alive LOL! I had a great time with my friend today and then had a nice conversation with my brother.

Tomorrow I am meeting with the nurse navigator about my health and food issues, then meeting with my case worker. I am a bit nervous about the nurse navigator meeting because we will be developing a food plan but I think it is for the best. I hope this will be a road map to success with my weight loss along with the help of my therapist.

Well, I am going to chill out tonight along with getting some stuff done in my apartment.

Have a nice night everyone
Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #56  

This morning my weight was 180.6 pounds - so excited!! I decided to reward myself and switch my ticker since I've been fairly consistent with the weight loss.

Thanks for the well wishes Seabiscuit! I've been doing pretty well with rewarding myself with rest and exercise rather than extra food (usually). I'm so glad that I'm no longer binge eating and eating way past the point of fullness. That was an accomplishment in itself. Thankfully, the move will be a quick one

Last week, I did slack off with my exercise, so getting back on track today was fun. I huffed and puffed 30 minutes on the elliptical, but I made it through! Also did 1 round of kettle bells - I moved up from 20 - 25 pounds because our friend asked for his 20 pounder back, so I had to use the husband's 25 kettle bell. I'm totally feeling it, lol.

Did my food prep today. Having the usual for breakfast (oatmeal), 1 hot dog, veggies, and an apple for lunch, and shrimp fried rice for dinner. Basically planning to do 30-45 minutes of workouts all 5 days this week.

Wish me luck! Hope you all had a good weekend

Last edited by coffeeshopgirl; 04-21-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #57  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink

Congratulations on your weight loss coffeeshopgirl, way to go!

It sounds like you are on an awesome plan to taking care of yourself with your fitness and eating healthier, wonderful!

You are inspiring to me!

Have a good night everyone
Old 04-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #58  
on a journey

Way to go coffeeshopgirl, congrats on losing weight. You're an inspiration.

Yes, girls the piercing hurt but I didn't cry. I think I might have let a cuss word or two fly. I bled like a stuck pig though. The ear is healing pretty well. I am doing my best at cleaning it. I wash it a couple of times a day, I've been using epsom salts on it, although I'm supposed to be using sea salt. Lastly, I'm putting Neosporin on it. It must be working because just in the last day, my ear has been itching. I'm assuming it's healing.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #59  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Hello everyone...I'm around off and on...trying to really get re-focused on eating healthy and being consistent on the exercise. The scale isn't rewarding me (yet) but I keep reminding myself it's a series of small changes that add up to the great big changes. *sigh*

I had a major NSV over the weekend, though...I went for a run in my apartment complex which involved a few major hills. I ran 4 miles at a 10:15 pace...I haven't run that since college. Yaaaaaayyy!!!

I also made a decision to have laser lipo about two weeks from now. I am actually looking forward to my surgery...hopefully I can say buh bye to my kangaroo pouch forever!

Ohio - congrats on the piercing! Yaaay!!!! And hang in there

Coffee - congrats on the weight loss! And good luck with the move (ugh).

Seabiscuit, hope your meeting with the nurse went well!

Vermont - congrats on the victory over meds (hopefully)! I say go for it if you're ready...hopefully the doctor will say it's okay.

to everyone else!

Also, would anyone be interested in sharing dinner meals? I find it inspiring, especially if I get into a cooking rut and need new healthy dinner ideas.

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 04-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #60  
Miraculous Amus Babus ;)

Wink Hello everyone ;)

Hi Ohio-

How are you doing? I hope your mood is lifting a bit.

I used to have my ears pierced but I let them close up. I hope you enjoy your piercings!

Hi Mustang-

Congrats on your run! Way to go!! That is awesome!

I would love to share dinner meal ideas, send me a PM if you are interested. Just so you know though, I keep my meals very, very simple.

Good luck with your surgery! I hope that it works out for you.

As for me, I am doing well or at least better than I was a few days ago. I met with the nurse navigator today and that went well. I will meet with her again in a week.

Then I met with my case manager and talked about some other things such as some goals. I think we are making some progress.

This afternoon, I have to do laundry and then tonight I am going to watch The Voice, I love that show. Tomorrow I get up early to volunteer.

Have a nice afternoon everyone!