Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #1  

Default Anyone can please tell me about strep throat symptoms??

Hey few days back i am suffering from rheumatic fever and pain in my throat, is this the symptom of strep throat??? please help me out what are the precautions and medical treatment do i require in order to remain healthy and fit.Tell me about the symptoms of strep throat and how to cure it???
Thanks in advance.
Aman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Strep throat is bacterial and not viral. If you have it, you'll run a fever (mine gets as high as 103) have swollen lymph nodes and tonsils and usually white or yellow pus like spots on the back of your throat/tonsils.

According to WebMD, if your sore throat is accompanied by runny/stuffy nose and a cough, it's probably a cold/virus. Then the sore throat is probably caused by drainage. If you're worried go see your doctor. They'll do a quit strep culture; it takes about five minutes or less if you're seriously infected. I speak from experience. IF it's strep, they'll give you an antibiotic, otherwise the cold will have to run its course.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #3  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

For me, incredibly sore throat, swollen uvula (that's the key symptom for me) and little white dots on back of my tongue. Doctor always gives me antibiotics. It's the only thing he has ever given me antibiotics for in 15 years, no matter how bad my cold or stomache bug was.
MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #4  
Dukanista

S/C/G: high263/current257/ticker/198

Height: 5'7"

having a fever is not the same as "rheumatic fever." In any case, you need to go to a doctor so they can do a culture. If you do have strep, you need antibiotics, this isn't something that a home cure will fix, although you can do things like drink lots of fluids, get plenty of rest, etc. and that will help you start to feel better.

oh also, get a new toothbrush.
April Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/177/120

Height: 5'2

If left untreated, it can be uber serious.... My 10 year old is currently being treated for it. Get to the doctor and get gagged , errr I mean swabbed.
Kerriepoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155.2/150/149

Height: 5'2"

I have had strep throat twice (as an adult), and I never ran a fever (or if I did, it was really a small fever). I did feel rotten overall, and it was a sore throat unlike any other kind. It literally felt like I was swallowing shards of glass and I would spit into a sink to avoid from swallowing, that's how painful it was. Very different from a standard sore throat that comes with a cold.
olehcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/240/150

Height: 5"2'

Rheumatic Fever is NOT Strep Throat. Strep Throat can however cause Rheumatic Fever which is a disease that can be very dangerous if not treated. With that being said. You should go see your doctor and have them do a strep test. If it comes back positive then you will need an antibiotic. If it comes back negative then get some cepacol lozenges to soothe your sore throat. If you have a fever, take some acetaminophen and get some rest.
mumbleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #8  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by olehcat View Post
I have had strep throat twice (as an adult), and I never ran a fever (or if I did, it was really a small fever). I did feel rotten overall, and it was a sore throat unlike any other kind. It literally felt like I was swallowing shards of glass and I would spit into a sink to avoid from swallowing, that's how painful it was. Very different from a standard sore throat that comes with a cold.
THIS!! a sore throat from a cold will never match the intensity of strep throat, at least for me...and i've had strep throat more times than i can remember..it's nasty...and for me takes several rounds of antibiotics to clear up, each round stronger than the next...one time i did just let the strep throat run its course and it cleared up and hasn't ever come back since then, which i think is odd, but who knows...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:23 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 277.8/250.8/175

Height: 5' 6.5"

I am the STREP THROAT QUEEN! I had strep about 6-8 times a year, from birth until age 30. I have probably had in, at least twice a year since then (I'm 37).
My pediatrician said OVER and OVER "The next time Jill get's strep the tonsils are coming out!" But, let's face it, my parent's were paying his student loans!
I usually have high fever but one of my son's almost never does.
I also, sometimes, break out on wrists, throat and chest.
You feel like you have been ran over by a truck, at least if fever accompanies it.
You MUST get antibiotics! Strep throat moves and can attack your organs, if left untreated. One of my teen aged cousins had to go on temporary dialysis and, then, started having seizures because her strep was not diagnosed and left untreated.
Other than that, get lots of bed rest, warm lemonade helps sooth the throat (with honey is even better), get something to numb your throat and if you need some temporary relief......if you will put cotton in your ears, it will relieve the pain when you swallow. I have laid in the bed before, with my fingers in my ears just because I could swallow without it hurting.
jillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 277.8/250.8/175

Height: 5' 6.5"

Also, it is contagious but, if you have it, you have already exposed others in your home... so they need to be on the lookout for it.
In most cases, by the time symptoms show up you have had the bacterial infection for 3-10 days.....and you were contagious that whole time. You are still considered contagious for 24 hours after starting antibiotic.
jillbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

Ditto to what everyone else has said! Best to get to the doctor and get tested right away! FWIW, the beginning of mono shares many symptoms with strep. (Trust me, I've had mono TWICE, which is statistically very unlikely!) The sooner you get to the doctor and get diagnosed, the better you'll feel! Hope you're up and running in no time!
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote