Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/218/170

Height: 5 ft 4 in

Exclamation Wellbutrin and Me

I suffer from depression and anxiety. The anxiety has turned in to Agoraphobia. My Dr. put me on Celexa and that helped my mood but didnt do anything for the Anxiety. He now put me on Wellbutrin the generic but im scared to take it. Does anyone have any experience with this medicine. I have suffered with this all my life but it got really bad recently. I havent left the house alone in two years. I need this to go away. Im also trying to lose weight in hopes that this will help also. Any advice is helpful.s
Fluffy chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW:280 CW:? GW:150

Height: 5 foot 5

As with any medicine you have to pay attention to how you are doing on it. I personally would never take wellbutrin again. I had a very bad reaction to it, I literally went nuts on it. I woke up a few days into using it and was furious, I truly saw a red haze over everything and completely lost it on a family member, screaming horrible things, so on so on, I quit taking it, and went back to normal.
But just because someone else has a bad reaction to something doesn't mean you will too. Just pay close attention to how you react and if you can have others pay attention to how you are while on it too. Good luck with it. Make sure and stay in close contact with your doctor for a while when you start it, or any medicine.

Last edited by tubolard; 10-29-2012 at 05:48 PM.
tubolard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #3  

Im sorry to hear it didnt work for you. I was on paxil a while back and gained 49 pounds on it. I have never lost this weigh either. But it did help. I just wanted to try something new with less weight gain. Im hoping being on the Celexa with the Wellbutrin will help some with the rage and nervousness. Thanks so much for sharing your story and advice. I will have my husband monitor me while i start it.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #4  
Sassafrass

S/C/G: 325/240/175

Height: 5'5"

I take Wellbutrin SR twice a day and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I have anxiety too and a little OCD and the Wellbutrin has really nipped that in the bud. Because it's designed to also help with the compulsive side of people it has also helped me be more in control of my eating and not be as crazy with it.

The only negative thing I noticed is that I had bad headaches for the first week or so, but those went away.

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 10-30-2012 at 07:11 AM.
SoMuchFattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #5  

Im so happy for you. I read where it helps you focus so im excited about that. I know it may sound crazy but im going to wait until after Halloween to start the meds because I have two small kids and I dont want to be in a crabby mood and disappoint them. What did you take for your headaches?
Old 10-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #6  
Sassafrass

Advil here and there.

I don't know about the focusing, but it helped me relax and not be so intense about everything. It's a welcomed change.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #7  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hey fluffy chickadee (cute name ) I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300 for around 3 or 4 years now, previously on Lexapro (which did nothing for me). I don't have the anxiety issue. I'm on the generic version with no problems.

I'm sorry for the agoraphobia, that must be very hard to deal with.

I feel much more in control of myself on the Wellbutrin. I have been able to lose while on it; I am able to exercise almost daily but my hurdle is eating right (and less). Suicidal thoughts are just about non-existent now, thank goodness. My thoughts do tend to run pessimistic but I am trying hard to train those thoughts to positive.

best wishes to you
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

I don't know why docs prescribe Wellbutrin for people that have anxiety when it has an "upper" component to it...but then again I'm not a doctor. I wouldn't take it because I know it would send my panic attacks through the roof. Everyone is different. You'll definitely lose weight on it though.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 222/(see ticker)/155

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post
Hey fluffy chickadee (cute name ) I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300 for around 3 or 4 years now, previously on Lexapro (which did nothing for me). I don't have the anxiety issue. I'm on the generic version with no problems.
Like VermontMom, I've been on Wellbutrin XL for a long time...8 years maybe? I've been fine on it but don't have anxiety issues either. I've taken Effexor and Celexa, both of which increased my weight gain tendencies.

I hope you find the right combo to improve things for you.
meazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #10  
Sassafrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
I don't know why docs prescribe Wellbutrin for people that have anxiety when it has an "upper" component to it...but then again I'm not a doctor. I wouldn't take it because I know it would send my panic attacks through the roof. Everyone is different. You'll definitely lose weight on it though.
While it has an "upper" component to it, it's shown to help with anxiety (but not panic), as well. Especially for people that struggle with depression and anxiety in combination. It's even used with Bipolar Disorder.

I know personally - I struggle with anxiety and horrible mood swings with my cycle and the Wellbutrin has been a life saver for me. I don't fixate on little things like I used to. I can go with the flow and I've found my extreme type A personality to be a little bit more mellow. It's been a very welcomed change.

But, much like you, I'm no Doctor. lol

Last edited by SoMuchFattitude; 10-30-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

so...it's after Halloween, hey Ms. fluffy chickadee have you started the Wellbutrin and Celexa now?
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote