Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #1  

Default Upset people are telling me not to drink diet drinks

Its the one thing keeping me going in all honesty , ive cut out all the regular pop and energy drinks like rockstar monster kx and cherry coke , im drinking sugar free/zero drinks , and ive got friends telling me its still bad rather than at-least your not drinking the normal stuff / eating rubbish. :/ I drink like a pint of fizzy a day.

Bah , now i feel like my diets gone to ****.

Last edited by Richens; 08-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Richens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM   #2  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

It's true that it isn't great for you, but what IS great, is that you have replaced high sugar drinks with a more reasonable option! That is awesome and a very hard thing to do!

I still drink Diet Dr. Pepper religiously. About one per day. I have a coffee in the morning, and a diet pop in the afternoon. I've still lost sixty pounds and kept it off!

Everyone has an opinion, don't let it bother you! YOU know you are making a better choice for yourself.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/154.7/130

Height: 5'3"

ChickieChicks is right. Everyone has an opinion....

I know they aren't the best for me, but at least when I drink my Diet Coke/Pepsi/Dr. Pepper, Coke Zero, I know I'm not drinking my calories.

You do whatever works best for you! Don't listen to people.
wiredkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

You're doing great! I think a great tool for success is taking things one step at a time. Honestly, I think replacing the high sugar drinks with diet is a really big accomplishment! I still enjoy my diet sodas....sometimes I have more sometimes I don't have any. We each come up with a plan that works for us.

If you've just started your WL journey you will probably find that lots of your friends/family will have opinions about what you're doing and how you're doing it. That's why I come to 3FC every day. I can share my experiences and learn from others who are on a similar journey.

Keep up the great work!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

Height: 5'5"

You have to do what is working for you. If anyone had told me a year ago that I would no longer be drinking my diet coke I wouldn't have believed them. I used to drink 5-6 cans a day. Went down to two, then to only one in the morning, and then as I started getting healthier I decided I didn't need it anymore.

This is your journey, you have to do it the way that will work best for you!! Keep it up!!
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #6  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Please dont quote me on this, but I have heard that while the diet versions do have less calories/sugar and all that sort of stuff, the aspartame and other chemicals that they put into the diet versions actually make them worse for you. I read about how one woman landed in the hospital on her death bed from them.

Again, I am not an expert and it is fantastic that you have made a huge change, but it might just be something you might want to look up in your free time.

If people know you are "dieting" they will always comment on it. My husband never shuts his trap when I eat a piece of chocolate or ANYTHING that doesn't resemble a carrot. Unless they have been there themselves, they don't understand the word "moderation!"

Congrats on the progress!

Last edited by Candeka; 08-27-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

I had to look up how much a pint was. Okay, google tells me it's 2 cups or 16 ounces. That isn't that bad, in my view. (If you were drinking a 2 liter of soda every day, that would be a different story)

Truthfully, they aren't great for you. But, you have to decide if and when you want to cut them out. I decided to try and cut them out of my diet recently (on the 12th of this month, in fact). I was at the store and really wanted to get some soda, but looked at alternatives.

I found a fizzy, flavored water (made with all natural ingredients and NO high fructose corn syrup) and gave that a try as my replacement. It's delicious! But it's also expensive. So I get that on occasion, but for day-to-day I've started making my own flavored water. I still have to have a cup of coffee in the morning or I get caffeine headaches, but it was time for me to stop the soda.

Do what's best for you. I've only had 1 soda in the past 2 weeks and I don't miss them much.

For what it's worth: If you google "why is diet soda bad for you?" there are a bunch of links that you might want to read.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:39 PM   #8  

In the UK a lot of the ingredients found in your soda is banned. Corn syrup being one of them , there's next to nothing in our normal sodas over here either , each can of coke over in the us has 60g of sugar over here its 11.5g. But i still drink the diet options.
Richens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM   #9  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

I drink it religiously and I'm fine. What's good for some may not be good for you that's with anything. They're not the one losing weight for you, you are. You have to do things your way. If drinking diet pop isn't stalling your weight loss and is helping you stay on point keep drinking it. I never tell people what they should or shouldn't do unless they ask me and even then I'm only telling them what works for me.

I still keep diet pop (though, I'm trying to wean myself off just for my personal reasons) and treats (because it helps me stay on point). The whole clean eating and non processed is a great way to live...would I be able to follow that? Maybe some day, but not right now. And what I'm doing I'm able to live with and I'm still healthier now than I was in January, and also it's not stalling my progress at all.

Don't let what people say get the best of you. You do what's right for you, and maybe from now on don't talk about your weight loss with those specific friends.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've done a lot of digging into the research to determine just how bad diet sweeteners and beverages are for you. And I've concluded that there are far, far more hazardous environmental toxins that people use every day and don't even blink an eye.

Household cleaners, fragrances, cosmetics, fabric softeners, paints, solvents, apholstery fabric, insulation and building materials in our homes....

On the scale of "dangerous" chemicals people are exposed to on a daily basis, artificial sweeteners and soft drinks are about as benign as plain water from the tap (sometimes its safer, depending on the quality of your tap water).

You have to choose your battles, and I choose to fight more harmful substances. My health has dramatically improved since I stopped using most cosmetics, fragrances, and other household products that most people think are "necessary," or at least unavoidable. I haven't used fabric softener in five years, and have never missed it.

In the scheme of things, there are far more dangerous substances, even far more dangerous foods that we don't worry about because they aren't on the urban legend radar.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/161/127 (started 03/2012)

Height: 5'1"

I'm totally against drinking diet soda in principal BUT you choose your battles. I drink 1 a day (and would drink 2 but I'm trying to do 1 so I can store less LOL). I wasn't going to do it, but I decided for ME this works. I'd just not talk to people about my intake, as I've learned also everyone has an opinion on my lifestyle, way of eating, etc., etc. I don't have to share and I don't have to be mean about it (although sometimes I want to be ) Ideally sure I'd love to say "I gave up all soda" and who knows, maybe I will; maybe I won't. Either way I'll still be doing it my way.
SerenityDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #12  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

People have their opinions about everything. Besides water, there is pros and cons to every other drink - orange juice, milk, soy, etc.

BUT, you have to decide for yourself what is worth giving up to you.

Kaplods - I was thinking about your comment and I've thought about this a lot - my MIL is very strict about what she puts in her body. She won't eat many things because of fear of chemicals. HOWEVER, she puts perfumes and creams on every single day. When we go on vacation, a big chunk of her suitcase is dedicated to creams for this or for that. She is constantly slathering herself with creams. When we tried to get rid of the fabric softener (using vinegar instead), she balked - she liked the softness... didn't care of the chemicals... funny how she is so fearful of ingesting them, but doesn't think anything of them seeping into her skin or inhaling them into her lungs. "I" am the one also hesitant about that stuff - not wanting to use 'stuff' - creams, lotions, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #13  
Lifestyle Changes

S/C/G: 295/sig/175

Height: 5'9

I gave up diet drinks because aspartame hurts my stomach, but sometimes I can drink things sweetened sucralose and it doesn't upset my stomach.

It just depends on you and what you think and how you feel.
thewalrus0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW 212/148/130~174/139/130

Height: 5'4

Switching from full sugar beverages/soda to diet was one of the most beneficial changes I made in aiding weight loss. I lost a nice chunk of weight that motivated me to keep going and not revert back to sugary/high fructose corn syrup sweetened drinks. Eventually, I was able to replace my diet drinks with water/unsweetened tea/coffee with skim milk. That's where I'm at today. I agree that switching to diet drinks is a HUGE accomplishment. This is a process and I am of the belief that the more gradually you make changes the more likely those changes will stick for the the run. Keep doing what is working for you.
guacamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
People have their opinions about everything. Besides water, there is pros and cons to every other drink - orange juice, milk, soy, etc.

BUT, you have to decide for yourself what is worth giving up to you.

Kaplods - I was thinking about your comment and I've thought about this a lot - my MIL is very strict about what she puts in her body. She won't eat many things because of fear of chemicals. HOWEVER, she puts perfumes and creams on every single day. When we go on vacation, a big chunk of her suitcase is dedicated to creams for this or for that. She is constantly slathering herself with creams. When we tried to get rid of the fabric softener (using vinegar instead), she balked - she liked the softness... didn't care of the chemicals... funny how she is so fearful of ingesting them, but doesn't think anything of them seeping into her skin or inhaling them into her lungs. "I" am the one also hesitant about that stuff - not wanting to use 'stuff' - creams, lotions, etc.

Yep, it's amazing how people think that swallowing is the only way to be poisoned. I've never been a huge user of cleaners, fragrances, and household chemicals, though you would have had to pull my makeup from my cold-dead hands.

Unfortunately my skin became more and more sensitive to the point that I couldn't wear any (I can wear some mineral makeups, but I use it only for very special occasions).

When I got rid of the few chemicals hubby and I did use (especially those with any added fragrance whatsoever) the difference was so dramatic it was like being given a new set of lungs.

I can only imagine how much worse I would have felt if I had been a heavy user of fragrances and household cleaners and laundry products.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote