Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #1  

Default Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the forum been lurking for a while. I did weight watchers for a while but once they switched to the points plus program my weight loss stalled-mostly because I couldn't keep up with the new system. When I figured out how many calries per day I was taking it when I did follow it, it was less than or right around 1000. That is just not enough food for me.

I started counting calories instead and try to keep around 1200 per day. I am 5 foot 2 and as of this morning 189 lb. I am on Citalopram and I have heard a lot of people gain weight on this. When I started it, I was 184, I got up to 192 but honestly wasn't trying to keep track of what I was eating. I stopped taking it for about a month, started counting calories and excercising, and lost 2.4 lb in one week.

My mood swings came back-so I started the drug again, and this first week back on it I have gone from 188 even to 189.6 my husband thinks I should try it another week or so before calling into the doctor to see about changing. I am just so tired of being obese, I have been all my life. My highest I was 235, got down to 170 and just in the past several months have I gotten back up there again.

Anyone have experience with this drug? Any advice?
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #2  
Becoming A Better Me

i am on prozac and altho it does help my moods n such it has also been another added factor to my weight gain. im a new calorie counter myself n my limits r set for lightly active n lose 2 lbs a week. im actually very active now n only manage 1 lb a week lose n altho im not going to complain! my teacher informed me i was lucky to b losing at all! so i think ill b talking to my dr on my next visit about an alternative. read up on ur meds n check user ratings on sites such as webmd.com. good luck.
dangerouscurvesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #3  

Thanks guys, I will push forward a couple more weeks and see if I can get the pounds to come off, if it continues to climb I call the doc and see what options we have
shellbeme is offline   Reply With Quote