Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #16  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Hi Ohio! We would love to have you here. You said it, there I things that I should do daily to help my depression out. The problem is that I don't do them, at least not regulary. I take my meds religiously but I don't work out, which helps tremendously. I have stopped and started many times but if I do it regularly it can almost wipe out my depression. Mind you, I have to do rigorous cardio, something that really gets my heart rate up and leaves me exhausted. I can't just take a stroll throught the neighborhood to get the effect. The stroll is better for me than sitting on the couch and good for my weight but it doesn't wipe out the blah feelings. I also find that the better more nutritional food that I eat the better I feel. I don't have the bad crashes and mood swings that I have when I eat a lot of junk. No big surprises there I guess.

I have my next 2 hr interview Tuesday. Tomorrow I will be preparing for it. I'm looking forward to it being over. They are tiring and stressful to say the least.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #17  
One Day at a Time

S/C/G: 227/156/149

Height: 5'7"

Default Monday

Had a v good weekend - worked out (some) and stayed away from sugar, although I never notice a huge change when I give up processed carbs. Doc has had me on Nuvigil, which has been good for my appetite and energy. Is anyone else on this med?

Have a good Monday.
princessbgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #18  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up I am here!!!!

Helloooo my Peeps!!!!

Okay!!! So I know I have been missing in action lately, but I swear I have many many good excuses!! So! I am now going into my 3rd month at the golf course! Things are going great but changing on a daily basis...I swear it is like a dysfunctional family drama... Okay, the girl who is the boss' right hand is leaving in Sept. She has been wanting to go for a few months and it is going to leave a big hole... We are losing a couple of other people as well...one is sort of retiring and the other one has been pissing off bossman so much that he is on borrowed time...we have one other person who is in the final stages of getting hired but I am not sure how much experience he has or anything... I am getting some training in the pro shop but the other person they hired to handle beer cart(snack shack) when I am not working it...well...isn't working out as well as they hoped. So I get pingponged back and forth a lot! Now, it sure would be great if I had like a flash drive to download different categories of information that I will need at different times so that my brain doesn't explode but sadly that has not been invented yet!!! So!!! It is a little difficult still to switch modes all the time! Now! When things slow down in the winter beer cart goes away... So, I need to show that I can handle the pro shop as well...and ideally I would love to become the Hand of the King...(any Game of Thrones fans out there???) (That's what I like to call the Boss' right hand... ) I have A LOT to learn!!! There have been a ton of tournaments...my other helper wasn't available for the biggest one we had...I had to make hotdogs for over a 100 people!!!! Yikes!!! It was crazy!!!

Now! Also! DH had his latest MRI (CLEAN!!!)
Mother-in-law came to visit...DD caught the chicken pox at 20 YEARS OLD!!!
We have a signed purchase agreement on a house and are finally moving forward to some stability!!! But how crazy is that whole mess too!!!
I am losing my mind!!!

I haven't really been to the gym since the job started...eating has been good off and on but ironically enough my weight is starting to creep down!!! Now I can tell I am losing some of my lovely muscle that I built with Body Pump but try as I might I haven't been able to figure a way to get to a class with my schedule... My beer cart job is very active and I barely eat usually, no time, and it is in the heat so I am not really hungry when I get home either, the pro shop is more problematic...when it is slow I am tempted by the snacks...and it is more mentally than physically taxing...still working that out.

I am meditating still...some yoga when I can...and my Buddhist texts are giving me lots of tools to keep myself from feeling too stressed...Oh!!! Did I mention that I had to do my semester exam??? And that I left one of my books at home! (it is open book) I passed and have started my last semester. Currently taking a Intro to Computer class... I have a 95% right now.

So!!! That is what is going on!! My weight finally matches my ticker!!! And I am hopeful the downward trend will continue!!! I love you all...sorry I don't have the time to do personals...Holly (love, love, love ya girl!!!) Hope! (missed you bunches!!) Mustang! Your avatar always makes me smile... Welcome to all the new faces!!!

I am going to try to... get a massage today!!!! Everyone have a wonderful Monday!!! I will try to be around more!!!!

~Raven~
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 179/172/150

Hope ~ I have been thinking about you and and yesterday's interview. I know how frustrating the "finding a job" process can be, and I pray that you find one soon that is all that you are hoping for.

I'm still trying to ignore the mess of papers on my table. It continues to grow, however, and I need to tackle it this week or I will have to rent a storage unit.
Re the 5 checking accounts, 2 of them are Mom's. I convinced her to trim them from 4 while she was still somewhat mentally alert. She and my late dad opened an account whenever it was required to open a CD at a great rate (obviously a dozen years ago or more.)

Last edited by Rose Centered; 07-10-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Rose Centered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #20  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Ohiofreespirit I suffer from bipolar but more depression than anything.
I had to give up work last year for that and a few other reasons(nasty divorce) but when I look back I realise that I had been running on empty for years. Several people I worked with asked me if I was bipolar ( I was in a hospital)but I think I was indenial.
I have a lovely husband now who I met at the height of my depression and domestic difficulties. I also have a great Psychiatrist.There were days when I could barely lift my head from the pillow but now I am much more settled and happy.
I have found the key for me is exercise. As long as I can exercise I am much better. The flip side is that not being able to exercise if I am ill has quite a devastating effect on my psyche and therefore eating pattern.
Hi everybody on this thread (too numerous to mention!) it's great to know you are there.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #21  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Hey everyone. Sorry that I have been missing for a couple of days. It's been stressful and busy so I haven't been on the computer much.

I decided a few months ago that I wanted to have a baby. I am single with no man so it presents a bit of a problem. I have done some research and have looked into both adoption and into aritificial insemination. In the end, not that it should be a determining factor, but because of financial constraints I decided to go with AI. My insurance covers much of the testing and procedures, except the copays, so it came out to 8-10,000 dollars cheaper. I've never been pregnant and there are no fertility issues in my family. But then again there is me.

The fertility doctor has everyone undergo the same tests whether they are in a situation like mine with no male partner or whether they have been trying and have been unsuccessful. It my case it is a good thing an may save be some heartache. Through the testing it was determined that I have an MTHFR gene mutation which inhibits my ability to process B vitamins and folic acid properly (probably explains some of my depression, anxiety, high cholesterol, easy bruising, and the troubles I have losing weight). This mutation can cause miscarragies, premature burth, and a variety of other birth defects. I can live with this condition because it is a condition that is relatively easy to manage with a daily B vitamin/folic acid supplement and a baby aspirin.

The news I got yesterday was worse. My right fallopian tube is block which decreases my chance of conceving by at least 50%. Pregnancy is still possible but it may have to be done via IVF instead of AI which my insurance does not cover. I have a consult next Wednesday so we'll just have to wait and go from there.

Well all these set backs in the last week have messed with my eating as I am an emotional eater as so many of us are. I gained back the 2 pounds I have lost which is a little upsetting but it was only two pounds so it shouldn't take me long to lose it again.

Sorry I rambled. I just need to vent to people other than my family.
for all of you and thanks for listening!
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #22  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello friends!!

brvsfan, oh gosh those things you found out...I am sorry you have to deal with those obstacles!! ok not obstacles, that is kind of too mild a word; those medical conditions. We wish you the best in overcoming them towards your goal of a baby

mountain walker - ! that is so great that you have a great husband (who accepted you at your low point!) and psychiatrist. Exercise for me is absolutely critical also. very glad to have you here

Hope - today is Wed., so how was the two hour (yikes) interview yesterday?? and is your area any cooler? thinking of you :hugs: and YAY for half your cleared table!! and I did love your suggested comment to Irritating Co-worker.

Rose - hi! thank you also for your input on the irritating co-worker. I'm glad you're here, you have thoughtful posts for everyone I hope you're feeling good lately.

princessgirl - Hi !! no, I have not heard of that med, though I'm glad it is good for you. Congrats for staying away from sugar and working out on the weekend; as Hope also said, its' the sugar and processed carbs that can me me crash also.

Ravengirl!! (you do knw that your posts BURST with energy ) sorry about the strife at work, good description of dysfunctional family, lol! congrats on your high test scores; and about the house. I hope you do become the Hand of the King

Ohiofreespirit - !! :hugs:

Hi GEM, LeilaJey, AuntyJam!!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #23  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Hey everybody! Sorry I've been quiet the last two weeks, I've been trying to recover from my accident. I am down to half doses of the narcotics for the pain as needed. But I'm stubborn, so I try not to take them and deal with the pain. But after being at work for a couple of hours... I usually have to take at least one pill to get me through the afternoon.

I have been really naughty. When I went to the doctor for a check up last week he gave me a lot of **** about being fat. So, what did I do? I punished myself by eating things that I am allergic to and eating like garbage. So. Now my insides feel just as miserable, I feel bloated and gross. And I cant jump on a treadmill or hit the gym to counter act my bad choices.

I am still tired all the time. My frustration is reaching max capacity. Everyone just wants to shove this "it could always be worse" crap down my throat and telling me that Im ungrateful for my blessings. Which is so far from the truth its insulting. Im just tired, in pain, and overwhelmed. Sure there are starving babies in Ethopia... but today I am having a tough day in MY reality. I cant escape my reality. Grrrrrrrr.

Sorry for the vent!
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #24  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Hello everyone!

I am trying really hard to get back on the wagon. I decided to step on the scale Monday and I received a very ugly surprise. Let's just say my ticker's not correct. Ouch...it hurt. Probably the kick in the rear I needed to get back on plan, so I'm doing a hardcore South Beach Phase I.

Hope, good luck with your interview! And I totally feel the same way with the exercise, a stroll around the block is okay (beats sitting on the couch) but I feel like there's not enough effort expended to make a difference - if that makes sense.

Princess - glad someone had a good weekend dietarily

Raven - your weight loss is inspiring! And trust me, I need lots of it right now.

Rose - can you pass some of your organizational mojo my way? Not one of my strongest areas :-/

Mountain - I totally understand how exercise makes you feel better!

brvsfan, good luck with your medical consult!

Vermont - howdy! How are you doing?

blonde - totally understand having one of those days. And the "it could always be worse" advice irks me too. I don't know why, but it's one of those lines I really don't want to hear when I'm having one of those days!!! But I hope you get to feeling better soon.

I am off to go workout. Today has been a semi stressful day at work and I need to burn some calories...LOL. Plus I'm hoping it will help keep my mind off work. I always feel like I am on the "chopping block" when I make a mistake at work, no matter how small the mistake. But in therapy - a few of our mantras are "Anticipation is often worse than realization"...and "Don't be afraid to make a mistake". I need to keep reciting both of those.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #25  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Hey, so glad to see everybody here.

My interview went ok I believe. I had a couple of curve balls thrown at me. I'll have to explain when I'm not so tired. I'll try to post about it tomorrow, I just wanted to say hi.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:44 AM   #26  

Blonde ~ I totally get you! I had a roommate once who would whine about everything, but when I felt bad she'd be Miss Mary Shineshine. She told me to work harder for a better grade or be nicer to my boyfriend when he drove me nuts.
Sometimes we just need someone to listen. When we want advice, we'll ask for it!
Don't apologize for venting. That's what we're here for!

GEM ~ I hope that you have success with South Beach. Have you gone on it before? I know it's a hard program at first, but the rewards after the first 2 weeks can be really great. And kudos for working out! I hope the therapy is helping with your work situation.

Hope ~ Glad the interview went well. Keeping you in prayer!!

Today's my day to work on the papers covering the kitchen table. My DIL is on 'Grandma duty' this afternoon for me and DH is bringing home dinner. No excuses!
(I have so much fun with the smileys, can you tell?! Talk about procrastination...)

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #27  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Centered View Post

GEM ~ I hope that you have success with South Beach. Have you gone on it before? I know it's a hard program at first, but the rewards after the first 2 weeks can be really great. And kudos for working out! I hope the therapy is helping with your work situation.
Yeah, I've been (for the most part) on South Beach since 2008 - but I've been really acting up with my diet since April, so I'm trying to recommit to the plan 100%! It's working, I am actually down 6 pounds as of this morning. So I'm having a good day. Trying to figure out what my workout strategy is going to be for today, I think I'm going to do my usual "thursday" and go to spin class.

Hi Hope and everyone else!

Side note - I like smileys too. This one is my favorite (don't get to use it much at this forum):

Last edited by grneyedmustang; 07-12-2012 at 10:49 AM.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #28  
Opera geek

S/C/G: 200/158/150

Height: 5'9''

Good morning everyone!! I was wondering if I could join this wonderful supporting thread. My name is Kathleen and I suffer from bipolar (but also a lot of depression). This summer has been particularly hard because it's the first summer I've spent alone (I'm house sitting for a professor for the whole summer). I have two jobs to make money and get out of the apartment, but it's still really hard for me to spend all my time alone (all I want to do is go on the computer and watch NetFlix!). I've done some working out and running, but not consistantly.

Also, I really don't know how to cook very well so it's tempting for me to eat out... and we all know how disastrous that can be!!

Anyway, everyone seems to be going through some really interesting things. Brvsfan, good luck with your baby plans! That's super exciting!
Orchestrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #29  

GEM ~ That is terrific! Really makes you feel good, doesn't it?

I love the popcorn smiley too...I also love popcorn, but besides loving it with butter and salt ( ) it's also bad for my diverticulosis.

Have fun spinning!!
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #30  

Kathleen! This is a great group of supportive folks. Losing weight can be so hard, esp with emotional and/or biochemical problems, and everyone in this thread is in the same boat one way or another.

Although it is possible to eat out sensibly, it's not easy--as you've noticed. It takes some planning, and you might find it easier to make good choices if you don't wait till you're starving. Good luck! With 2 jobs, I understand why you find yourself 'Netflixing' and on the computer; they're my time-frittering tactics too, esp when I'm tired.