Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #1  
doing it right this time

S/C/G: 230/192/140

Height: 5'8"

Default it was an accident...

Literally, it was an accident.

Tuesday morning I was in a car accident. By the grace of god, no one else was involved. I was driving to work and I was in the left lane, trying to pass a school bus. When I was trying to switch back into the right lane, I looked over my shoulder to check my blind spot. When I looked forward again, the truck in front of me stopped short. My reflex was to jerk the wheel to avoid rear ending them. I began fishtailing in the right lane, hit the concrete barrier (I was on a overpass part of the highway) than slingshot across both lanes where I hit the concrete median head on at 55mph. Which shot me back into a fast spin and made me hit the barrier again on the back end of my car.

The seatbelt saved my life. If I wasnt wearing it, I would've shot through the windshield and off the overpass. The seat belt gave me nasty burns and bruises and shredded my blouse (a small price to pay). The airbag deployment burned both of my hands and my left arm. And my left knee slammed up into the dash. Overall, I am fine. Just severe whiplash. Physical therapy will probably be necessary to rehabilitate the muscles.

Needless to say, my car is totaled. Right after I dumped $300 dollars into just 2 days prior to the accident. I am so stressed. I am terrified of slipping back into a depression. The doctors wouldnt clear me to go back to work right away, and I havent been at my job long enough to cash in on sick days or vacation days yet. So, I am out of a car, out of nearly a week's salary, I have bills piling up, a new car to buy (which I have ZERO money for).

Money is my biggest depression trigger. And my body is such a mess right now I can't even sit up for extended periods of time, let alone work out. It will be WEEKS before I will be able to be physically active in any productive manner. But I still have to eat. I am so frustrated. Dont get me wrong, I am so grateful. Things could have been so much MUCH worse. I am very, so incredibly lucky. But the reality of the situation is not overshadowed by my gratitude. I can't put myself in denial of my circumstance because I'm trying to so hard to "look on the bright side" as is EVERYONE's advice.

Gah! Sorry for the long rant. I just needed to get it out.
blondebombshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #2  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Firstly, thank goodness you are still with us! I'm so sorry to hear about this. How scary! It sounds like you are lucky to be alive.

I know you have weight loss on your mind but just try to take it slow and let your body recover as it needs to. What a trauma that must have been.

I'm sure as you recover you will experience many different emotions and feel free to come here to vent. We are here to listen.

I understand very well how money worries can trigger depression. It is also one of my triggers, as well as weight of course. I get very down thinking of how I should have had a successful career and how I've failed at that. I beat myself up regularly for it and fear that my appearance will prevent me from ever achieving success. You are with a group that understands.

Check in and let us know how you are doing.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW 136 CW 105 and maintaining

Height: 5.2

Dear Blondbombshell, how lucky you are to be alive! Pity about the money and the job, but yes, you have to be grateful. Don't think of the next weeks as a waste of time and money: probably there are many activities you can do as you recover that may help with the money --babysitting? sewing, knitting, baking? If you can move you can produce! Cheer up and take it slow... Tell us how you feel and we will keep you company!
inglesita64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #4  
Creepin' in the Corner

S/C/G: 300/272/160

Height: 5'5"

You are so lucky for the seatbelt, and nobody else was involved. I worked with insurance claims, and yeah solo accidents suck, but it's much better than someone suing you for every pull and sprain they get
Take deep breaths and concentrate on getting well. You'll wake up to another day, and that is something money can't buy
<3 get well soon!
retrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #5  
Trying.....

S/C/G: 248/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebombshell View Post
Literally, it was an accident.

Overall, I am fine. Just severe whiplash. Physical therapy will probably be necessary to rehabilitate the muscles.

....my body is such a mess right now I can't even sit up for extended periods of time, let alone work out. It will be WEEKS before I will be able to be physically active in any productive manner. But I still have to eat.
I am so glad that overall you are ok I have also suffered from sever whiplash as a result of a car accident. I couldn't even move for like a month let alone do any exercising. I will tell you this, since I couldn't bend my head back and I had severe headaches , I actually lost weight due to not being ABLE or feeling well enough to eat. Your accident may have the side effect of weight loss (not that I wish whiplash upon anyone, nor did I want to lose weight this way). Just make sure you eat to sustain yourself and don't worry about the exercise. It will come.

Also if I may make a recommendation, try going to a chiropractor. They usually have discounts for cash paying clients and overall are cheaper than physical therapists. They have traction and exercises that you can do to help re-strengthen your neck muscles. Do your research though. A chiro that doesn't offer anything more than snap, crackle, pop may not be ideal. I know some people are against chiropractors but it may be worth checking into.
brvsfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #6  
doing it right this time

Thank you all so much for your care and concern and support!

I am back to work... and out of pain medication. So the pain is making me nauseous and inducing migraines. My office is not my friend today. I didnt sleep at all last night because of the pain, so I am beyond miserable this morning. And my doctor cant get me in his office at all today- not one single doctor in the office is available. Obviously, he won't prescribe narcotics over the phone and he hasn't seen me since the accident. I dont know how I'm going to function.

I definitely have plans to see a Chiro in the near future. I already have one that I have been seeing due to a previous back injury. He offers a variety of services beyond the snap/crackle/pop He came highly recommended and has been AMAZING! I believe he will also recommend massage therapy to help with the muscle tissue damage. Luckily, I have immaculate insurance and it will all be taken care of- no out of pocket expenses!!!
Old 07-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

How are you doing now, three weeks later? Things getting better? How do you feel?
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #8  
doing it right this time

I am doing considerably better, thank you! Today is day #4 of no narcotic pain killers (just the occasional tylenol or ibuprofen). I still have to take a muscle relaxant to get to sleep, though I am down to half doses. But I still have pain. So I'm not 100% ready to start working out again.

I begin my regular Chiro and massage therapy appointments this week. First Chiro appointment is tonight! I cant wait! I desperately need the relief I know he will offer!

I definitely feel like I've gained a thousand pounds over these three weeks. The emotional toll the accident took on me is more than the physical toll, I think :/