Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 177/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

Default effexor

Hi everyone,

I'm sure its been discussed before but anyone taking effexor?
I took wellbutrin before and lost a bunch of weight,but then I gained it back, I have also tried some of the other antidepressants. How do you feel on effexor? It seems to make me slightly tired, loss of appetite, makes me sweat, noticed some arythmia, but I seem to deal with stress a bit better. But I don't notice a huge difference, which is why I ask.
I have problems coping with stress. A big problem for me has been relationships. I have crying spells, to the point of breaking down, and then I can be depressed for a good two or three weeks after an episode, so any info on effexor appreciated.
rosemarie0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 302/234/175ish

Height: 5'7"

I took Effexor years ago and it caused me to gain a lot of weight. It did improve my mood and stress a lot, which is why I stayed on it. But after gaining about 40lbs, I had to call it quits.
yammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Effexor made me gain weight and it turned me into a zombie. I wasn't depressed, but I didn't care about anything either. I felt like I was in a fog.

Turns out I have ADD, not depression... so that may be why... I don't know. I've heard a lot of ladies say similar things, though. I hope you find something that helps you.

Last edited by ValRock; 05-13-2012 at 09:10 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8

hey rosemarie0007
i tried effexor xr 4 the first time last year and it was AMAZING 4 me!
i suffer from major depression and pmdd and it helped my moods and my binging.

the side effects i had were MAJOR SWEATING,but only of my face,BODY JERKS,WONDERFUL LUCID DREAMS,NO APPETITE,MOTIVATION,COFFEE CRAVINGS,SPICY FOOD CRAVINGS,BIG TIME CONSTIPATION and ENERGY.
there were not alot of negatives side effects 4 me.

i lost 28lbs in 3 months,but unfortunately it stopped working 4 me after 3 months,so now im on the regular effex and it seems 2 be helping.

now about the withdrawls-THEY CAN BE H.E.L.L!!!!!!!!
and i advise anyone 2 NEVER QUIT COLD TURKEY LIKE I DID IN THE PAST!
you can have severe nausea,brain zaps,dizziness,insomnia,etc......
its best 2 ween yourself down.
but i dont want 2 scare anyone becuz this can be the drug that can SAVE YOUR LIFE!
but there are tons of sites discussing effexor and peoples experiences with it.
hope everything works out 4 you

Last edited by Tohisha77; 05-14-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Tohisha77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 03:47 AM   #5  

Default Effexor

Hi beautiful,

I am here in NZ and I too are on Effexor after troubling trying to find a medication that helps me.

In Jan 2008 I embarked on weight watchers after reaching my heaviest of 96.5kg. I lost 30kg within 10 months after eating up to my points. Then one week I got sick with tonsillitis and couldnt eat a thing. I lost 2kg that week and so the restriction of food began. If I was counting points I was eating 9 out of my 20 points and drinking coffee which was included in that points of 9. I had developed an eating disorder, restricting and over exercising. I fell pregnant in March 2010 and even restricted throughout my pregnancy, I gained 4kg of weight and was back to pre pregnancy weight straight away.

I was depressed, had food fights, irritable etc. I was referred to a mental health professional who first put me on citilopram but this didnt really do anything for me. After adjusting the dosage and giving up brestfeding so I could take an antidep that helped me on recovery I started on Effexor. One year later, I am 30kg overweight despite not eating **** everyday I am actually vegetarian so I eat veges everyday but the weight gain continued. I now have trouble with my archillies tendons, they are thick due to the weight gain.

I was still feeling down and at times feeling nothing. Nothing phased me at all and I didnt like that feeling, so after talking to my psychiatrist he put me on a night time antidep called Mirtizapine. Yes I feel better mood wise but then the whole weight gain in such a small period of time for someone who suffers from an eating disorder is not good.

I have no energy, I have nanna naps in the day as I am so fatigued. I do not recomend this antidep but I am at a loose end as to what to do!

Do research before taking this pill. It may work for you but it may not. I wish you a lthe best darling

sara
springonion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 207/212/155

Height: 5'9

I take 150 mg of Effexor daily. The only major side effects I had were during the first couple of months. If I didn't take it at a certain time I would get brain zapping or bad headaches. It didn't really effect my weight, but I am having a hard time losing. I so wish I could take wellbutrin because I lost weight on it but I turned out to be allergic to it.
stellarwbz is offline   Reply With Quote