Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #1  

Default newly on sertraline, worried about career

Hi all -- I'm relatively new here. Could really use some support. I'm a week on sertraline and wondered what experiences you all have had with it? I've been on prozac before but it messed with my sex drive.

I'm struggling a lot now with depression and lack of motivation -- I'm muddling through grad school but I'm worried i'm doing poorly, poorly enough that it will negatively impact my career. I've generally done well before now but i'm really floundering

also on jenny craig, happy to talk about that. it's actually going pretty well!

hope you've all had a decent weekend. don't know where else to vent really!
meowkat444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Sorry to hear about your struggle with depression. I took zoloft for awhile after my mom died, but it gave me tremors. Although I am not on any meds now, I occasionally have some depressive tendencies I have to work through. I am sure you will get some answers to your questions, and I am glad your eating plan is going well.
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #3  

how do you beat them?
meowkat444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #4  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I was on zoloft (sertaline is the generic) for about 8 years. I've been off it maybe two years now.

It pretty much killed my sex drive as well, sorry to say. It did help my emotional state immensely though. Give it a bit more time to build up in your system and see. Also, be aware it can cause high cholesterol for some odd reason, so be prepared. It may have also contributed to my weight gain, but who knows.

Given the downsides I still believe it was worth it. People don't necessarily have to take it forever. What it does, in my opinion, is give you the ability to learn how to control your emotions yourself - take the edge off and such. Sure, I still have times when I get depressed, but they seem to be easier to manage now.

Hope that helps and doesn't scare you...

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

I was on sertraline for about a year.... dint notice any *real* weight gain, or other side effects for that matter, untill my Doctor added Efexxor.....grrr.......up went my weight by 30 pounds, up went my anxiety, down went my sex drive, and up went all my "ocd" ish self-destructive tendancies.......
blah blah, i am sorry you are struggling in grad school.... i really hope the medication hekps its so hard when you cant find the motivation to DO anything, know what i mean? Even smallish, everyday tasks can feel SO overwhelming, and then add stress from school/work, etc......
Im currently working on my pre-reqs for grad school-- classes i didnt take as an undergrad, not realizing i was going to want to continue further in my education.. its SO MUCH harder this time. i only take one or 2 classes, but combined with full-time work, and my depression and everything else, its just overwhleming and i struggle to do well..... im not even "coasting" at this point.... im just struggling to get a "C"!! When i was a 4.0 student as an undergrad....

Sometimes our priorities change in life, i suppose. You need to do, what you need to do, to make sure you get through grad school. If the sertraline doesnt work, then try a different med..... Have you ever been on Wellbutrin? alot of people have had a good experience, in terms of getting energy and motivation back.. but Wellbutrin is a different class of anti-depressants.....

The good news is though, the semester is almost over foryou, right? mine ends in 2-3 weeks. Then i get to try again in another class... im going to re-take Triginometry.. bleh. But at least ill be done with all my CHEMISTRY!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote