Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #1  

Unhappy Just had my 3rd baby in 4 years.... I need help

Hi, My name is Katina and I just had my 3rd baby in the last 4 years.
My oldest daughter is 4, my middle daughter is 2 and I just had a baby 3 months ago.

For all 3 of my pregnancy I only gained between 15 - 18lbs and by the time I left the hospital for all three children I was back down the weight I was when I got pregnant.

However, after every pregnancy I have gained 10lbs, so now I'm up to 30lbs gained since my wedding.

I just can't seem to get it together, I can't get the weight off and it seems like I'm always freaking out, crying, and eating!

I'm nursing, so that is, I'm sure the only reason I'm not gain weight daily, but its out of control and I feel like my mind is out of control.

I just wish there was someone around that I could talk to that would understand how hard it is ... all of it.

katinamartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #2  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I don't have children, so I can't say I know what you're going through, but I'm sure you have bundles and bundles of stress. It's much more easily said than done, but the first step is to relax. The biggest problem I've encountered with my weight loss is panicking. Panic leads to obsessing, which for me at least, leads to binging and giving up.

I know 30 pounds must seem like such a huge hurdle right now. But look at it this way - you're catching it now. You're not just ignoring it and letting your weight keep getting higher and higher. That's a good step. So breathe, and let yourself take your time. There's no reason you need to get all of it 100% in hand right off the bat. Figuring out how to make this work for you is a process, and that's okay.

Do you write down everything you eat and know how many calories you're consuming each day?
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #3  

[QUOTE=TheBunneh;4188850]
I know 30 pounds must seem like such a huge hurdle right now. But look at it this way - you're catching it now. You're not just ignoring it and letting your weight keep getting higher and higher. That's a good step. So breathe, and let yourself take your time. There's no reason you need to get all of it 100% in hand right off the bat. Figuring out how to make this work for you is a process, and that's okay.

Do you write down everything you eat and know how many calories you're consuming each day?[/QUO

I just recently (the last 2 weeks) started trying to count calories, I know it may seem really dumb and maybe I am, but its hard for me to understand how to do this, I've always down weight watchers in the past to get of 10 or 15lbs, but they have changed their program and I don't know anything about it and today I just looked into meetings and there are no meetings around my area that I can go to (Itwould have to be in the evening, as my husband works) and then of course its too much money, $40 something a month... crazy.
So that is what led me here, I started to trying to find something that I can do on my own.

I'm just so ..... depressed about it all, and it seems like a never ending battle.

Last edited by katinamartinez; 01-25-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM   #4  
Joie de Vivre!!

S/C/G: 230/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

I completely understand how depressing and daunting it can feel. But the beginning of a change is generally the most confusing. Calorie counting takes a while to get used to for some, but it's how I've lost all of my weight. I use the website my fitness pal, and there are tons of others out there. Sparkpeople, dailyplate, etc. My suggestion would be to just start with entering everything you eat in a site like that.

It will always take some tweaking to make it right for you. But the important part is getting to know your body and the amount of calories you personally need each day to lose weight. I've personally eaten 1,500 to 1,800 throughout my loss. Some people need 1,200 or 1,400 and some 1,800 to 2,000. There are a lot of calculators you can find on google to estimate your daily need based on hight, age, weight, and activity level.

Last edited by TheBunneh; 01-25-2012 at 07:10 PM.
TheBunneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for the information, that is what I need, this way of losing weight is new for me, I've never had this much to lose, and my body is shot.

Not only have I had 3 kids in 4 years, I also had a bad illness right after my 2nd baby, I spent a month in the ICU in a coma and couldn't even walk when I got out of the hospital.

This 3rd pregnancy wasn't planned and last year we went through alot, we lost our house moved 3 times , delt with a lawsuit over my medical bills from the hospital, which wiped out our savings, and we ended up with a garnishment on our wages that left it nearly imposiable to pay any bills at all, then my husband changed jobs, went through a promotion and we spent 4 of the month apart in different states.

It was the most stressful year of my life, and I'm so thankful that everything is calming down, we are in a great home, back together and we have had our last baby and everyone is health.

I don't mean to complain about something has minor as 30 lbs, but there are days I just wondering if its ever going to end if I will ever be able to do this, and I feel like no one understand that daily struggle it is. Everyone around me is THIN and its like they look at me like "just stop eating so much!" I only wish it could be that simple.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #6  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Hi, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I don't have kids either but I can imagine that 3 tiny children has got to require a LOT of energy and fortitude on your part! I'm not at all surprised that you haven't been able to prioritize your weight loss.

One question: could you be suffering from post-partum depression? Is that something you could discuss with your doctor?
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Well, my gosh, you are worn out. You have had a lot of stress, taking care of three young children is stress enough without everything else. I give you credit for wanting to lose 30 pounds and know you will be able to do it. Try to do it in the easiest way possible. You could start by eliminating fried foods and sugar from your diet. No cookies, candy or pie. Concentrate on fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat ,chicken and fish.
Don't ever tell baby number 3 that he/she was unplanned. There will come a day when you will be grateful they are close in age. Mine are 7 years apart when my oldest one graduated high school I still had one in grammer school.I could still look forward to more PTA meetings, parent teacher conferances, etc.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I agree that you are worn-out! 3 babies in such a short time; and to take care of by yourself -- in itself, that is very exhausting. I also agree that you sound like you may have what is called, "Post-Partum Depression" ... that is caused by the sudden change in hormones in your body. You could get some help with that from your doctor; worth speaking to him/her about that for sure ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-25-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #9  

Yes I did speak to him about PPD and he and I both think/agree that its not full blown PPD ... could mild but its more than that.

I did start a vitimin regiment and I'm trying to make sure I cut out sugar, that is a huge part of the problem and I can tell when I've had sugar and when I haven't.
I'm also trying to make sure I drink at least 60 ounces of water a day. That is a big help to.

It just seems so overwhealming.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have made a start, that is the important thing.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 208/162/140

Height: 5"3

I always feel manic when I start a healthy living plan so using guided meditations (like on YoutTube) with exercise that you enjoy can clear the mind.
I find if my mind is out of control my eating will be.
swissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #12  

Height: 5'4"

I just wanted to say I understand. I had my 3rd baby a few months ago (my older kids were 4 and 5 at the time) and I'm up 45 pounds from where I was when I first got pregnant (I guess that's about 55 from when I got married).

But, I've actually been here before. And I weighed the same when I had my third baby as I did a couple summers ago, meaning I actually gained quite a bit of weight AFTER I had my second baby. I joined Weight Watchers and I have to go every week for reminders.

It is just very stressful having small children. After having my third, I noticed I don't actually chew my food when I eat at home. I feel like I have to gulp it down, literally. I try to slow myself down but I feel like if I don't eat fast I won't get to eat at all. And I'm usually starving before I eat because I have to feed the kids first.

Are you a stay-at-home mom? I find I am in much better control when I'm working. I need the daily structure and to be away from my kitchen. I even do better about exercising when I'm working than when I was staying home on maternity leave, even though there is less time in my day now. So perhaps, if you are not working or planning to return to work, you can make some kind of appointment for yourself to get out of the house sometimes.

Anyway, I think I know where you are coming from and it's a weird sort of stress you can't really understand until you've been there. Sometimes before I leave work at the end of the day I get a little nervous just thinking about the night ahead. Give yourself a break. You did not put the weight on overnight, you've had major health problems, and it doesn't come off overnight.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote