Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:07 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Question What Contributes to My Clinical Depression?

Hi All,

I've done a few changes to the question below, thanks for your help everyone, I am not the best at putting my feelings into words, my heart know's what I want to say but my writing skills suck-a-roonie, in anycase, I am just trying to help.

ANY suggestions / help is greatly appreciated and please note that I would never purposely, knowingly offend anyone. Please PM me w/any comments. THANKS !!!!

If you are not just having a bad hair day but SERIOUSLY struggling w/depression, please feel free to reply to this thread.

Thank you all for understanding

I was thinking alot about this question this morning.

A. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS CONTRIBUTING (NOT THE CAUSE, BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT THAT IS) TO YOUR DEPRESSION AND B. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP YOURSELF FEEL BETTER?

Being we are here to help and support EACH OTHER and hopefully help OURSELVES, I am hoping that you will jot down a few things that you believe are contributing to your depression. Then after jotting them down, come back to your post and answer the second part of the question listed above. This could take several days, weeks, months, who cares, just as long as we are getting some where. As you remember stuff, edit your posts and write them down (don't be shy, whats important to you is important to us too).

Also, what about writing down things that make you happy and maybe a few comments about them, maybe this will show us what we truly need to focus on ?? its worth a try.

Lets Really Focus / Work On Ourselves
Lets Make 2003 OUR YEAR!

Leenie

I'll keep this post as a sticky to remind us of what we need to do.

Last edited by Leens; 01-24-2003 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #2  
Peg

Funny this would be posted today,

I have been feeling blaugh, I think it might be that I haven't been feeling too well, may be a flu bug or something.

I want my life organized, can't seem to find time for the things in life that are just for me, although today I'm going to sign up for a class to become a escrow officer, I think I'd like that a lot, I could be very good at it. :

My husband is another one, he has no patience for nothing, it drives me mad, or he changes plans around, and that frustriates me and kids too.

My kids arguing too much, that too, drives me nuts

Also, I feel linely a lot of the time (this one I'm ashamed of).

For now, thats all I can think of.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:46 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

This is going to take some serious thinking for me, I don't want to put down things that just pop up every now and then, I really want to get to the root of this, so here goes, and I will be in and out of this updating/changing.

1. Not Reading the Bible Like I should
2. My Job..... Lack of enthuasium
3. My Weight...Self-explanitory
4. My House...Very unorganized
5. My Lack of Energy (Prob due to weight)
6. Not being able to stay home w/my Child
7. My Appearance (Hair, clothes, etc...)

Things that make me happy
1. My Love for Jesus
2. My Daughter and Husband ....(my puppy too)
3. My Mom, Sisters & Brothers
4. Good Health
5. Cooking, baking
6. Crafts, decorating

These are just some I will work with for now, and they are not in any particular order.

Last edited by Leens; 01-21-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:36 PM   #4  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Leens and all,

Thanks for starting this thread.

First let's point out that Leens asked what is CONTRIBUTING to depression and not CAUSING it. We KNOW what causes it.

DEPRESSION IS A BIOLOGICAL ILLNESS CAUSED BY A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE IN THE BRAIN.

Just had to say that since a lot of hideous awful people are looking for sources to quote so they can take away mental health coverage. Even though millions of people need this coverage, they want it taken away or cost more on insurance plans.

Check out www.nami.org and fight for your rights. Depression is an illness and not an inability to deal with life and its stressors.

Hope you all are doing well and getting better. Do something excellent for yourself today, you deserve it!!!
Old 01-22-2003, 04:29 PM   #5  
CatGal

Default Mind if I jump in?

Hello all. My name is GinaMarie, and I browse this part of the fourm every-now-and-again because I am also a clinically depressed person with a weight issue. I was diagnosed in 1995 and have been on anti-depressants ever since. I have my up days and my down days. Today is a pretty good day...

Aside from weather or not a person's depression is due to a chemical imbalance or not... Couldn't we turn SOME of the things we are listing as contributors to our depression into SIDE EFFECTS of our depression? Now before you answer let me say that I am not talking about using depression as an EXCUSE for a messy house, or lack of enthusiasm. I am just talking about recognising that you have been diagnosed with a disease, yes a disease. Would you fault a person who is battling a more regognized illness for having a disorganized home or being fatigued? I don't think so... So then why do you fault yourself?

I say that this thread is great, and that it is important to recognise these issues. But bear in mind that it is part of a cycle, or circle. You are depressed, so you don't have the energy or mental stamina to clean up the house, so your house gets messy and disorganized, which makes you more depressed. (Forgive me for using the house example over and over, but that is one of my big issues).

Don't state these things as negatives. State them as positives that the depression is hindering you from completing or enjoying. Then look at the list and ask yourself which one is the most important to you, work on that one, and ignore the others until you are ready to take on more.

Please be kind to yourselves.
GinaMarie
Old 01-22-2003, 04:32 PM   #6  
Domestic Goddess

For me alot of it stems off of my mind set that everything that I do has to be perfect. When I get really depressed I only see the bad things and never the good.

The things that can set me off are:

1. My house...I never think it's clean enough or organized enough.

2. I dont like to go out too often because of my weight and the fact that i dont have alot of clothes and the ones I have are old and not nice.

3. Stress...from the kids if they are having a bad day with one another.

4. If DH and I have a disagreement

5. If my mom get's on my nerves

6. Finances....this is a big one for me.

What makes me feel good.

1. Being close to God...especailly when I get to go to the Ladies Fellowship at church and see that some of these ladies battle with the same imperfections that I do in my Christian walk.

2. Having people over to my house for Sunday dinners.

3. Big birthday parties for the boys...I never had these growing up.

One other thing that I think is a problem for me is the fact that I too think that Im lonely. I have my DH and the boys and yes, I can talk to them but I need a gal pal. Someone that I can trust with my secrets and sit and drink coffee with. It's not that I'm not friendly it's just the fact that I dont think I have time for this. Do you know what I mean...where would I ever fit it in. My MIL is probably my best friend she understands me and knows some of my battles. But I dont think I"m completely honest with her about my eating issues.

So that's if for me. I'm sure if I really gave it more thought I'd be able to jot down some more.

Chrissy
Old 01-23-2003, 01:49 PM   #7  

Default depression

Great thread and a lot of good comments on various aspects.

Contributing factors and side effects DO intertwine, as I've noticed recently with exercise. I've been feeling more depressed, so I feel like exercising less, so that exacerbates the depression . . . same with various other things. But my take on Leens' first post is yeah, I've got depression, but what can I do to help myself feel better?

A. What's contributing to this blue spell right now?

1. Winter. Seasonal affective disorder.
2. Exercising less the past month.
3. Eating badly. Binge-ing on carbs (S.A.D. symptom AND a side effect of my particular depression med).
4. Stinkin' thinkin'. Ruminating on my mistakes, focusing on the negatives, etc.

B. What can I do to help myself feel better?

1. The most crucial factor for me is: Realize I CAN help myself feel better. Be proactive instead of waiting idly by for the meds or the therapist to "fix" me while I passively wallow in despair. Mantra: "There is no magic bullet. There is growing and there is changing."

2. Get outdoors and get more sunlight during the day. A 10-minute walk on my lunch hour. (Already have a therapy lamp in my office & use it daily but I need more).

3. I've resumed taking a cocktail of amino acids and other supplements (doc IS aware and approves) in addition to my med to help curb the carb cravings and boost my energy. Less than a week into it, I already feel much, much better.

4. Resume my exercise schedule: 4-5 days a week instead of 1-2. If I feel too "down" to jog, I'll walk for at least 30 minutes. I've been at it again for the past week, and I'm feeling better mentally and physically.

5. Before I buy a food item, I'll ask myself do I want this just to fuel a binge? If the answer is yes, I'll leave it in the store.

6. Use thought-stopping consistently to curtail those head-on collisions on Memory Lane. Remember not to give up hope: the depressive spells ALWAYS get better eventually.

What makes me happy?
My husband, my pets, learning, new experiences.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:18 PM   #8  
acw
Cuddly Kiwi

Wow! This is very thought provoking and one of those times you have to really look at your life...it makes me realise there's a lot I don't like...but there's also a lot I can do something about.

Here goes..

CONTRIBUTING

1.weight
2.Appearance - I hate my hair, my clothes etc but I think it's part of the prison wall I have erected as self protection. I am not prepared to make myself or believe I should look attractive at this weight.
3.Trying to be all things to all people and putting too much pressure on myself
4.Low feeling of self worth
5.Financial
6. Feeling I am a failure as a mother in lots of ways and the guilt associated with this
7.Clutter and confusion around house
8. Lonely. No close friend to share with/cry with/laugh with.

HAPPY
1. my children - just watching them sleep sometimes can be the greatest joy of my day
2. My husband
3. Family
4. Reading a good book

I need to take control and responsibility of my life. I need to meet new people and nuture relationships with people that are good for me. I have to put myself first and not put myself on that guilt trip I usually do.

Will come back and add to this later
Old 01-25-2003, 01:13 AM   #9  

What causes depression...& what contributes to depression.

For me I know what causes my depression....it is partly genetic....it runs in my family...my Dad had manic depression....there are 7 siblings in my family....5 of us are on antidepressants.

Then there is seasonal affective disorder....after over 20 years of on & off depression....now I have done 3 weeks of light theapy...now I feel a lot better.

Now as far as what contributes to depression......when you are depressed your perception of things is off.

Our negative feelings produce negative behavior....resulting in more negative feelings.

The way to break the patterns is to engage in positive behavior anyway...even though you might not feel like it.

Changing your behavior can also change your mood....even if you have to push yourself...do it.....positive action reduces anxiety & depression.

Here are a few things I have been doing to change my behavior.

1.....I made a small goal....a small goal is easier to achieve than a big goal...I could say that I am going to walk 1/2 hour 7 days a week...will I do it...probably not.....but making a small goal....I can do that.

So I decided to walk on the treadmill in the basement once a week for 5 minutes....the 2nd week I walked 5 minutes twice a week....this week I will walk 5 minutes 3 times a week...& so on.

I have had trouble getting up in the morning....getting up between 9:30 & 10:30 A.M. My behavior of getting up late was changed because for the 3 weeks...I had to get up at 7:15 A.M. to for light therapy at the hospital at 8:30 A.M....so my behavior was changed. I also learned to try to go to bed at the same time.
That is a changed behavior also.

It is easier to change your behavior than your thoughts & emotions....if you change your behavior...you will feel better.

I am going to classes at the hospital....they are called living with depression...I am learning a lot from these classes.

April
Old 01-28-2003, 01:07 PM   #10  

At this time, I'm not depressed, but I was hospitalized for a month about 27 years ago. I quickly divorced the source of my depression. Seriously, depression is always right there, right around the corner of my mind. I've learned to spot it and take measures. For one thing I stop the stinking thinking and focus on positive thoughts. I count my blessings and I force myself to get busy. Sometimes it takes a fork-lift to force me to get busy! And not a dinner fork either.

I also have been having anxiety attacks. Strange! Right out of no where I feel "funny". At first, I thought I was imagining them. Now that I recognize them, I simply tell myself that I'm having an anxiety attack and I take a few deep breaths. I just got a newsletter about Post Polio Syndrome and guess what! Anxiety attacks are another part of PPS. Oy vey!

anyway I've rattled enough. Leenie, if this is in the wrong place, move it or something.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:11 PM   #11  

Tippy,

I have had anxiety attacks also....didn't know what it was in the beginning....my doctor said it was too much coffee....what does he know....I only drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning.

One of my sisters talked to me about anxiety attacks....she & another sister have them....so I was having anxiety attacks...I told her what happened when I got these symptoms. She told me...her doctor told her...anxiety attacks can run in families.

I do what you do....when I feel one happening....I take some deep breaths....it does seem to help.

April
Old 01-31-2003, 01:16 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Tip, I get them too ! thats why I avoid situations where I know they can come on strong (like w/large groups of people). I hope your talking to your doctor because it can be an icky feeling......
Old 02-17-2003, 10:43 AM   #13  

Thank you for making me think about my depression in this light. The mjor causes of my depression are:
1. Wieght
2. Kids, I am a single parent ( who is in desparate need of a break!}
3. Lonliness
4. No job
5. lack of enthusiasm

Things that make me happy
my friends and family

I have been in counseling since August, and have dealt with some of these issues, but they keep cropping up. I sometimes find it hard to stay focused, and change the things that I can. Lonliness is probably one of my biggest factor, and a close second would be finding a job, although I know that the second may help with the first, it would also give me the much needed break from my kids. Boy, seriously thinking about this really helps put it in perspective. I am going to dwell on this today, and journal, and will check in again tonight.

Thanks for making me think!!!

msmomm2
Old 02-19-2003, 04:47 AM   #14  
Andrew

A. WHAT DO YOU THINK IS CONTRIBUTING (NOT THE CAUSE, BECAUSE WE KNOW WHAT THAT IS) TO YOUR DEPRESSION AND B. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP YOURSELF FEEL BETTER?

A:My inability to get organized, lack of money, weight issues, family member terminally ill.

B:....I'll have to think about that one.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:12 PM   #15  
DNW

I read this thread from time to time and also have some information which may be helpful to those on meds which are making them gain weight.

If any of you who are on meds like Zyprexa, there is a new drug by GlaxoSmithKline called, "Abilify", which is the same class of drug and should be on the market very soon. According to an article I read this morning the weight gain for this new drug is very, very minimal. I know people who are on Zyprexa who have gained a lot of weight. So you may want to ask your doctor about Abilify. Good luck!

Last edited by DNW; 02-24-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Closed Thread