Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #1  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Default I had to do something

I've been depressed for a while and tried to kick it but I just couldn't do it on my own. This past December I started having panic attacks and lots of anxiety, I just didn't realize they were panic attacks at that point. One night this past Feb I was asleep and woke up suddenly feeling like I was really going to die. I thought I was having a heart attack, I'm only 33! I told my husband to take me to the ER and after all the tests they ran on me came back negative for heart trouble, they gave me a diagnosis for acid reflux and said goodbye.

My doctor prescribed me an acid reflux pill but it didn't help the episodes. Meanwhile, the anxiety was becoming more and more and some days I felt like a loose cannon and still having those horrid attacks once or twice a week. After talking to a few friends about it, they told me I might be having panic attacks. I finally decided to go back to the doctor and he said yes, it did sound like panic disorder and GAD. So he prescribed Effexor XR & I've been taking it for 2 days now.

I put weight loss on hold because I couldn't manage it although I do try to make good choices. I really hope with the combination of this medicine and group meetings I'll be able to better manage my diet.

I have lots of physical problems due to my weight and I've just learned I'm insulin resistant so I know staying the same weight or gaining weight is no longer an option. I don't want to become diabetic. I really believe if I can get my diet right I'll feel so much better, but I think I need to get my head right first.

For now I'm taking things in baby steps, I'm just going to try to stay away from the junk and focus on not binge eating. I believe this is a good start to physical recovery.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Baby steps are good... I think your plan is a smart one

Good luck !!!
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

You're taking care of yourself. It's all good!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 330/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 6"

Default Panic attacks are so real!

Hi,

I use to have panic attacks when I was a teenager. I know for a fact that they are very real and make you feel like you are going to die from a heart attack.. I know because I visited the DR. several times for panic attacks.

I will share with you what my DR. told me and it did help!

1. stay away from soda, coffee, and tea.. and chocolate..too much caffeine
2. exercise, exercise, and exercise.
3. treat your self to a massage or yoga class

These three things helps me! Wish you well.. and stay positive, it will all work out...

Lisa
Lisa532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I too had GAD (and depression) and the daily antidepressants really do help. I am happy you are on the path to making yourself happier and healthier! I would recommend keeping a journal of how you're feeling day to day. It's helpful just to jot down notes about how your anxiety was, mood etc. If you want to write more ("diary style") that's great too, but at a minimum keep a written log on how you're feeling. It will really help you and your doctor find the right solution for you, medicine-wise.
uwfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote