Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 04:09 AM   #1  

Exclamation Depression and being overweight

This subject really hits home for me because it describes certain portions of my life perfectly. I have been on anti-depressants for almost 2 years and though they help with depression, I don't think that anything could help more than losing weight. I am 18 years old and I have thought seriously of committing suicide twice because of matters related to my weight, without the support of my mother, I'm sure that I would have done so already. I am eager to try once again to lose weight and I am determined to make it work this time, no matter how long it takes.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:50 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Amy,

WELCOME !!!

Amy, let me just say this, and I'm sure you have heard it before....NOTHING is worth taking your life over..NOTHING.

I to have struggled with my weight since I was a small child, not fun. I was the heaviest kid in school. I had it rough, my weight soared to over 300 lbs. Talk about low self-esteem.

When I hit about your age 18, 19... is when I started to realize that the kids in school were just shallow @(%&#%&@&.... I started working full time. I met some people who accepted me for me. This felt really good and the weight started to come off, slowly. Find some people who will uplift you and not drag you down. Get rid of all those who want to drag you along in their misery. How about joining a Church and getting involved with the youth or volunteering somewhere. This can be very rewarding and it makes you feel REALLY good about yourself. Bringing joy to someone else is double sided...it makes both you and the person feel really good.

One thing I have learned over the years is that we are worth so much more on the inside then on the outside. God made us all and he doesn't make mistakes, we are all His children and we are so beautiful to Him and honestly thats all that matters. I have never met you but one thing I can say is I know you are beautiful, your like a beautiful morning dove with a broken wing... you will heal and you will soon be able to fly, higher than you dreamed......but healing takes time.

I have gained quite a bit of weight back but with slow changes to my daily life and slow changes to how I look at the world, I know I will lose it. Amy, take life slow, dont rush weight loss because you will only be let down. Change little things one at a time. With in a few months you will be ahead of the game.

Lastly !! KEEP TALKING TO YOUR MOM... don't stop telling her how you feel, you need to keep your communication open. If not her a councelor, friend, pastor. Suicide is not reversible, it is forever and its NOT worth it.

We hope to see you here again, if you need to talk we are here for you.

Huggs and Kisses, Leenie
Old 10-30-2002, 04:06 PM   #3  

Angry Amy!

Please keep posting...we all need each other...we need you!

Looking forward to getting to know you!

xoLiz
Old 10-30-2002, 11:12 PM   #4  

Angry THANKS!!!

To the wonderful ppl that have been sooo supportive of me, THANK YOU!!! I can't believe the fact that you all don't even know me and have expressed so much concern and understanding.....once again, THANKS!!!! You don't know how much it means!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 01:16 AM   #5  

Dearest Amy,

God Bless you for giving you the strength to ask for help and God Bless your mom for being there to pick you up. I am the mom of four children and I can tell you that it would totally destroy me if one of my children did what you were contemplating. Just as Leens explained in her wonderful post to you, suicide is NOT a solution for anything...think of what pain you would bring to your loving mom and family.

You made the first step and that was asking for help. You will make it through this. Pick yourself up and get involved with things you love. Get happy, find comfort in knowing that there is light at the end of this journey. You are so young, you have your life ahead of you and you can do this. You just need to WANT it real bad.

Stay with us, we are older here (well some of us ) but we share your pain. "Been there, done that" you know how that goes.

Keep us posted, daily posts will help get all those feeling out, there's no reason to think that you can't tell us anything you want...we do not judge...might give some advise, but you have the choice to do what you want with it.

Make Tomorrow the start of a new you!

Love, Meg
Old 11-02-2002, 09:17 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

so THIS is where the rest of you hang out!!!! leenie.. meg... linda... GOTCHA!!!

as for you, amy, well, there's really not much for me to add. these wise women have really said it all.

ok. maybe there are a couple of other points. high school is tough, even for the 'in' idiots. i suggest that you focus on making yourself the best you can be on the INSIDE. and that means studying hard, taking up outside interests, no matter what that might be, keeping yourself moving, being interested in others. leenie's suggestion of volunteering is wonderful.

get involved. there are SOOO many people in the world who will accept you for who and what you are. and, as someone who has yo-yo'd for HUNDREDS of pounds, let me tell you, those folks who recognize you at all of your weights and care about you are the ones to keep in your heart.

oh. and while you're on antidepressants [which i view as God's gift to the world!!!! i've often thought about putting it in my family's drinking water!!], don't overload on the carbs. there's something biochemical about them that sometimes makes us gain more weight and makes the antidepressants slightly less effective. a doc will most likely NEVER tell you that, but it's something you could look out for to help yourself.

and congrats for making the effort to get control now.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:54 AM   #7  

Hey Jiffy!

You found us huh??? Most people are afraid of us...think this forum is catchy You are a brave soul.

Well anyway...welcome and I hope you come back and visit us.

Meg
Old 11-26-2002, 09:32 PM   #8  
Fighting the Krispy Kreme

Hi Amy:
You sound a lot like me a couple of years ago (I'm 21). I was on anti-depressants too for about three years. I thought that it was because of my weight, but there were other issues too. I would just like to suggest exercise in addition to any medication or diet you might be on. It's really made a positive change for me, and not just because of the weight loss. When you exercise, your brain releases endorphins and you feel better. You have more energy and that really makes a difference. Plus, you get in shape and start losing weight, which makes you feel even better, so it's a win/win situation. Some people say that exercise is a natural anti-depressant; I don't know if it's true or not, but it has made a world of difference in my life and I'm no longer on medication.
If you ever want to talk or anything, just let me know and we can exchange e-mail addresses. Or you can visit my web site and get my address from there.
Hope you're doing well,
Meribeth
Closed Thread