Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #1  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Default What is the process

of being diagnosed with depression? I'm almost certain I have it...I haven't felt normal since my miscarriage last year. I don't really ever feel happy, I want to lay in bed all day long. Cry more then usual. Feel hopeless. Sometimes don't even want to be alive (but no serious thoughts of suicide). So how do I go about getting help? I have always thought I might have some type of depression, but just have been afraid/unknowledge about how to get help. Thank you.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #2  

Height: 5' 5"

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. Depression is common after loss or stress. There are a number of different types of depression. Going for a good analysis is helpful. Only a licensed Psychologist or Psychiatrist can test accurately- but they can only base it on what you tell them.
Start by going to your family doctor and tell her what you told us. You don't have to have a psych referral to get meds- any doctor can start you on those. It does tend to be a trial and error process for finding the right meds, dose, etc. Meds combined with therapy is the best route. Try to find a good therapist to work with you on functional changes and cognitive issues.
If meds aren't your thing you can definitely improve the symptoms of depression with holistic lifestyle changes. Some studies suggest that 30-40 minutes of moderate exercise can be as helpful as meds for alleviating some symptoms of depression, but that's dependent on type.
Just start by going to your doctor and focus on taking good care of yourself physically and emotionally. It will get better!
M0vingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #3  
Kickin PCOS's Butt!

S/C/G: 240/Ticker/150 Ultimate Goal

Height: 5' 3"

Thanks Cindy. I have tried exercise. It does help a little, but the cloud never really seems to lift. Maybe it does for a short amount of time but it never lasts. I am making an appointment with my Dr today, and will start the search for a Therapist.
PinkHoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:46 PM   #4  
on a mission

S/C/G: 83kg/68kg/65kg

Height: 5'3"

Hi there, i am really sorry about the miscarriage you went through last year. It does sound like you have depression. Negative thoughts, hopelessness, crying more than usual, wanting to lay in bed all day. Those are all symptoms of depression. Your miscarriage must have triggered it. First step is to see a doctor, a psychiatrist. Explain to him/her what you are going through in detail, then the doctor will prescribe you antidepressants. Not all antidepressants work for everyone, it might be a long process till you find something that works for you. It is tough but it's just how it is unfortunately. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and depression, so i know roughly how it goes. If the first antidepressant recommended works for you, then that's super great. You dont have to go through the many different side effects of different drugs, the process of wheening off old drugs and starting new ones. Having depression is tough. I would be lying to say that recovery/treatment will be a bed of roses, i'm sorry. Next step, this part is optional but i highly recommend it, is to see a psychotherapist/psychologist. This part, you'd get to really talk to someone about the issues you are going through. Just like 'talk therapy'. Letting out your emotions and feelings can be rather healing. I hope this helps. From what i have been through, i realise that pyschiatrists handle the medication part and psychotherapists handle emotional healing. I hope i got things right. This is what i had and am going through to get a hold of my depression and bipolar. Mine is rather serious, I have been going through this for close to 2 years and i can't say i'm quite okay at the moment. I still have very down days and panic attacks. Perhaps its because im not strong enough, i am not sure. It takes a lot of will power to conquer depression. Yeah, thirdly, you need a lot of will power and determination plus positive thinking to get you by. I hope my reply doesn't bog you down even more. I know how depression feels and it sucks big time. I'm really sorry again for your loss, definitely in time your depression will subside. All the best and keep your chin up, things will get better once you get the help needed. I hope this helps.
Esha is offline   Reply With Quote