Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default citalopram

Anyone else take this? What do you think? I started taking it on Thursday.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'2"

I've been taking it since June. I really like it, it really seems to help me. I was previously on Paxil a couple years ago and hated it, gained about 10 pounds on it. I haven't had any weight gain on Citalopram. It's a wonder pill for me, truly it is, I don't think I could function without it. I feel balanced emotionally, for the most part

How many milligrams are you on?
KaylaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:06 PM   #3  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I am taking 20mg. I am hoping not to gain any weight from it. I actually went to the DR b/c my anxiety was getting to be too much (I found a supplement that had helped with my depression, but didn't do anything for the anxiety) and I was eating out of control b/c of the anxiety. I am hoping since the citalopram will help the anxiety, I will be able to get my emotional eating under control.

I have suspected for quite a while that I needed anti-depressants. Will you/we need to take it forever? Or is there hope that one day I won't need it anymore?
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: See Ticker

I'm on 25 mg a day. I specifically asked my doctor for an anti-depressant that wouldn't cause weight gain, and she said this one doesn't typically cause any. So I hope the same for you hon.

Every person is different, sometimes people will only need them for a while and then their doctor will try to ween them off the medicine. I personally, believe I will need it the rest of my life. I do believe that there is hope that some people can one day live without it.

Last edited by KaylaChristine; 12-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.
KaylaChristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/153/130

Height: 5'6"

I've taken it off and on for a few years. Right now, I am on 20 mg a day. It truly does keep me emotionally stable, which is great now that my life is getting more and more stressful. After my last major bout depression seemed to end, I weaned myself off of citalopram. However, the depression hit even harder a few months later. At this point, my doctor says I will need to be on meds for life. It's better than feeling miserable on a daily basis. Good luck! I hope they work for you.
waffleteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6"

I take 10mg along with my 300xl of wellbutrin. I've tried to stop but whenever I do I end up with major anxiety and being in a puddle of tears. Thankfully I haven't had any problems, but it is a very low dose.
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 184/184/120

Hi, I am new to the site and still learning how to get around. I did want to share that I have been on citalopram for the last 7 months or so. I started on 10mg and been gradually to 20 mg and now to 30mg.

I was put on it because I was getting really cranky and irritable. I was also depressed. I did have a lot going on, but this time I was acting unlike myself. So far, its helped me not lose my temper the way I was doing so prior to medication. I still feel somewhat depressed and have gained weight. Doctor was going to switch me to prozac, but we both don't want me to get anxious and ill tempered again. So we're I am trying the increased dose prior to switching meds. Also going to research a therapist to help me with why I am feeling "blue" and helping me change my habits and emotional binging.

Hope this helps. If someone has feedback, I would also appreciate it.

Thanks.
Journey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 172/150/145

Height: 5'7"

i take lexapro, which is very similar. it has helped me immensely. i can take much better care of myself and my health when i'm not depressed! but i have continued psychotherapy throughout the past 10 years. years of being depressed and anxious definitely left me with behaviors and thought patterns that i needed to address. good luck- i think you are on the right path.
pucedaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #9  

Height: 5'4"

I took citalopram and had an extremely negative reaction to it - went from mildly depressed to suicidal, mildly paranoid and a complete wreck in less than a week. That can happen with any psychiatric medication, though - but make sure you monitor the way you're feeling carefully!
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/184/120

Thanks for the feedback.

Expunge, thanks I will actually take note of how I feel with the increased dose. Wondering if it gets me more depressed than I used to be. Will need to keep a journal...I am not really sure anymore.

Pucedaisy, thanks, actually looking up a therapist I can go to now...so hard to pick one.
Journey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

I take it, and have been for over a year. My dosage recently went out though, and for awhile I felt like Expunge....and really got bad. I have Thank God, evened out...and now become a raging lunatic when I forget it. I would like to get to the point where I don't need it, but doubt that would happen.
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #12  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

I've been on it about two years. It helped me in the beginning, I started off at 20 mg dose, and now I'm down to 10mg. I'd like to get off but I can't get myself through the withdrawal symptoms. I would need at least a week off, if not two to to handle the brain zaps and weirdness that comes with coming off it.I honestly don't feel like the meds are helping anymore, but I am not sure what to do at this point. So on it, I stay.

Last edited by lizziep; 01-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/156/125

Height: 5'2

Hello! Been on citalopram almost a year, find it works much better than fluoxetine, but it has made me put on weight. I'm on 20mg, and was on 40mg of fluoxetine, but this one still works better! I have found that I'm not sinking into pits of depression now, so for me that's really great.
Marchmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #14  
Reaching Heaven 2011

S/C/G: 197/181.6/155

Height: 5'7''

I take 20mg and have been for the past 5 years or so...love it. I've been on paxil and zoloft as well, but I like this one better. no weight gain and I feel more balanced...
recycledartgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #15  

I disagree with whoever says its like lexapro. Lexapro is an antidepressant and citalopram is an ssri with extremely different effects. Lexapro made me gain an extra snooki full of weight while citalopram, which I now take 40mg a day, is excellent for my anxiety, keeps me energetic and I don't eat my way through the house on it. I don't ever want to go off of it now that I am able to live a life where I can control my emotional reactions and behaviors. It's crazy the difference it makes for stress.
resmarted is offline   Reply With Quote