Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'9''

Default New w/ depression

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have found a ton of information to get my weight loss journey started. This morning was terrible. I have been beating myself up and have been disgusted with myself for weight I have gained in the last 2 two years (50 pounds on top of already being overweight) I am being treated for depression and have found it terribly difficult to get motivated to make changes even though I want to! There is just something that has been holding me down and I just can't shake it.

Has anyone else been through this?
SusietheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 242/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

That sounds quite familiar. I am by no means away from that feeling a lot of days...

But I've seen once you hit that first mini-milestone (2 pounds, 5 pounds, whatever) it gives you a pretty darn good feeling and will keep you motivated to stay with it, at least until you are on your way to hit the next one.

I really hope you are able to find that motivation...It really can come in the strangest of ways.
Luddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/275/170

Height: 5'9''

Thank you, Luddy. You're probably right. It can be discouraging to think about how far I need to go to be at my goal, but little milestones seem more do-able. Hopefully it will be enough to keep me going...

Sometimes I wish I had more control of that.
SusietheQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #4  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

Yes, I have DEFINITELY been through that whole thing, and have been battling depression for a while as well.

What luddy says, I totally agree with.

I'd like to add, you might also be feeling unmotivated because you're overwhelmed at the idea of having to move the number on the scale? I think if you move your focus from number of pounds to feeling better, you might get the psychological kick-start you need. In other words, maybe start making changes, little by little, that simply make you FEEL better (eating some fruit instead of dessert, getting enough sleep, cutting out soda and drinking water instead, taking a walk after dinner). That might make getting into health/diet mode a little easier and get you over whatever's holding you back. Also, you'll probably start losing weight that way without consciously trying, especially at first.

Last edited by gtech2mit10; 07-16-2010 at 10:35 PM.
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote