Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2002, 05:53 AM   #1  
Searching

Unhappy Mental Illness

Okay here goes, all honesty.

My husband has SAD (social anxiety disorder) complicated by OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). If your wondering if he is a chronic handwasher or something let me tell you after 12 years of marriage OCD takes many forms his usually goes into organizing. Ever since he started to be normal (2 years ago he quit self medicating through drug abuse and hit the Paxil). He has changed, he is stronger, believes a little less he is superman, and only slightly overextends himself. He has had a hard time keeping jobs though (he lost a job of 7 years when he quit the deprieciating pleasing of the boss) and now lost a job of 1 year cause he refused to bow down and thank the man for the job everyday(this company was a little sad anyway, a secretary called one day and to say I have heard less profanity from a truck driver would be a lie). So here he is jobless. Another crick in the road. And I am biting on the back of depression.

Afraid I suffer from a mild case of the high and lows of manic depression every crick in our road expecially since our sobriety (2 years no drugs GOOD 4 US!). We are still fighting with our old landlords because they would not get the birds out of the ceiling (I MEAN THE CEILING, sounded like they were coming in) it paralyzes me to deal with them. No lawyer will take the case cause it just not worth thier time and how would we pay for it now. It makes me feel woozy. I get nuts. Unable to move from the bed for days, then cleaning and dieting like a maniac. How do I make the outer world understand without the stigma. I tried to talk to my hubby about it, but he has enough problems.

Arrgh!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 09:23 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey there rochemist. I appreciate your honesty! I know how hard that is sometimes, especially when dealing with chemical imbalances. (I cannot stand the words mental illness because people have such a negative opinion about such things).

Are you familiar with Focus on the Family? they have a website at www.family.org and they have a lot of good information there about mental illness/chemical imbalances/depression/etc. It has been a great source of info and comfort for me. I have a teenage son with a chemical imbalance. I also have a very hard time not letting his moods impact the ups and downs of my day.

There is also a very good book that you can order from there called "Mood Swings" which is about all of this and I found it to be helpful.

I hope that this will help in some small way.

Take care,
Cathy
Closed Thread