3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   SAM-e? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/204365-sam-e.html)

SCraver 06-11-2010 02:40 PM

SAM-e?

Does anyone here take SAM-e?

I took it for a while when I thought I had post-pardum depression. Now, I have been really down for a good month now. So I have started again today. I am starting with just one 200mg pill in the morning until I adjust, then I will up it to 2 pills.

I am curious to hear what others think of it.

ladyrider72472 06-15-2010 12:45 PM

Have you had any bad side effects from it?

SCraver 06-18-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 (Post 3342487)
Have you had any bad side effects from it?

Last year when I thought I had post pardum depression, I started taking 400 mg a day. It took me a GOOD two and a half weeks to adjust. It was a little rough. This time around, I have started with 200 mg. (and will up to 400mg next week) I seem to be adjusting faster - I don't know if it is b/c I started with a lower dose or if it is b/c I have taken it b/f.

So... this is a little TMI. But I get these pretty intense cramps in my stomach and then I know I need to get to the bathroom quickly b/c it is time to poo! And it is a bit intense (but it is just once a day - my morning poo). It is definitely affecting my intestines. But last time, once I adjusted, I felt perfectly normal. Those side effects totally went away. And I felt pretty good. They really seemed to make a difference. But then, once my son turned a year old, I stopped.

Now that I am feeling "blue" ALL the time, I am trying them again. I have mild depression. It's like, it isn't bad enough to need medication for, but it lingers and lingers and I can't shake this feeling. So, I don't think it was a placebo effect or anything... I think it really did work last time.

But there are no weight gain side effects or reduced libido. It doesn't interfere with Birth Control Pills (like St. John's Wort does).

ladyrider72472 06-22-2010 12:16 PM

Thanks for the input. They switched me from Pristiq to Effexor last week.... I have got to do something. I cannot handle this.

Let me know how you continue to feel.... I would appreciate it.

Tammy

SCraver 06-22-2010 02:07 PM

Well... It's been almost two weeks. I am definitely feeling better. Side effects are all gone, but I am still only taking a half a dose. I figure if I feel good, why take more? I am going to wait a while and see how it goes and then take a full does if I feel I need to.

ladyrider72472 06-24-2010 08:52 AM

I am thinking Effexor is not for me...... I went from Pristiq to Effexor.... so it should be in my system.... well, I know it is b/c I am about to chew down the walls. I have read weight can go in either direction. I am trying to kick the food thoughts out of my head, but even my husband has commented on my increased food intake (not in a bad way). So, I am tapering.... and I am going to try the Sam-e.

SCraver..... thanks for the update. I appreciate it.

SCraver 06-24-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 (Post 3356061)
I am thinking Effexor is not for me...... I went from Pristiq to Effexor.... so it should be in my system.... well, I know it is b/c I am about to chew down the walls. I have read weight can go in either direction. I am trying to kick the food thoughts out of my head, but even my husband has commented on my increased food intake (not in a bad way). So, I am tapering.... and I am going to try the Sam-e.

SCraver..... thanks for the update. I appreciate it.

I have been feeling great the last few days. I also take the SAM-e with a B-complex vitamin. I have read that it can help increase the effectiveness - then I read that SAM-e depleats your B-vitamins. Either way - it doesn't hurt to take the B vitamin.

Keep me posted on how you do! I am hoping it helps you!

gonnadoitthistime 07-07-2010 12:52 AM

Not to rain on anybodies hopes that the right antidepressant is out there for them, I took many different types over the course of over 20 years, spent some time off them etc, and finally a couple of years ago had a doctor finally tell me that NONE of them work more than 2 years without therapy. The body adjusts to them or something. I tried cognitive therapy, and it worked for me. Best of luck to all

pacman12 07-18-2010 10:08 AM

That's not true, gonnadoitthistime. Clinical depression is due to a certain reduction in brain chemicals, and that's what the drugs treat. Of course therapy helps and leads to better mood, but the drugs don't magically stop working. I have been taking mine for 8 years and it's certainly working, I could tell the huge difference when I stopped for a short time.

OP, I also tried SAMe and found it really helpful. I am off it right now because I'm away overseas, but I am going to take it again when I get home. My grumpy coworker started taking it too and we can TOTALLY tell!

gonnadoitthistime 07-21-2010 03:37 PM

Please do a little more reading, our thought also have a great effect on our brain chemistry. It was a psychiatrist that told me meds only work for so long. Look around, there are very few in not no people who have been on the same med, same dose for more than 4 years. Like all things in life worth having, nothing is solved by simply taking a pill,a nd all pills have side effects. If you are at a place that chooses to believe you are organically different and th eonly help is medication, then I can understand that, been there. But I still can't recommend Cognitive therapy enough.