Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #1  
Find Joy in the Journey

S/C/G: ?/128lbs/107lbs

Height: 4,10

Default Crying venting

Looks like depression will be with me my whole life Everything is going great in my life. Plus I'm actually sticking to my exercise routine! But the past 3 weeks have been a rollercoaster of sadness. It will hit me out of nowhere and before I know it I'm bawling for no reason! Stepping on the scale at todays doctor appointment wasn't helpful at all, gained 2 pounds. I've been told to see a psychiatrist, but I get the joy of finding one. Don't you usually get referred to someone!?!. Looks like meds are in my near future. I'm a little nervous about the weight issues it may bring up, but at this point I just want to have stable moods.
eyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Just wanted to let you know someone read your post. I don't have a whole lot of experience with depression on that level.

Will send good thoughts your way.

best wishes
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #3  
Carol

S/C/G: 172/159/140

Height: 5'6"

It's entirely possible to have depression when everything in your life is going well. Sometimes depression can be caused by a chemical imbalance and medications help a lot of people (but not all). Hormones can also wreak havoc with emotions. If you have weight issues that you are "nervous" about, it may be very beneficial to you to talk to a psychiatrist. Sending good luck and hugs your way!
Cglasscock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 166/166/135

Height: 5' 4"

Just wanted to say that I have a long personal history with depression and several antidepresant medications. I have lost weight successfully on them when I stayed on plan. (last year 25# lost on South Beach Diet, regained 17# when our BiPolar teen was in crises and my home life went haywire and I went off plan). Recently I have lost 17# on Ideal Protien and continue to lose despite my medications. It is quite possible to be properly treated for depression (which as someone else mentioned, is a chemical imbalance) and to lose weight. Good luck to you on all fronts. Midwifemom
Midwifemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #5  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Depression CAN go away, you know. I mean it is not necessarily a life long sentence as you seem to think. However, yes, depression strikes regardless of how good or bad your life is, that is the point. You can't choose when to get diabetes or cancer, either. And there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking medication for it.

There are websites out there where you can find a doc and some have doctor reviews. Or you could just CALL your doctor and ask for who he recommends. http://doctor.webmd.com/physician_finder/ will give you the doctor's profile as well so you can see where they got their degree which could be important.
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #6  
Find Joy in the Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
Depression CAN go away, you know. I mean it is not necessarily a life long sentence as you seem to think. However, yes, depression strikes regardless of how good or bad your life is, that is the point. You can't choose when to get diabetes or cancer, either. And there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with taking medication for it.

There are websites out there where you can find a doc and some have doctor reviews. Or you could just CALL your doctor and ask for who he recommends. http://doctor.webmd.com/physician_finder/ will give you the doctor's profile as well so you can see where they got their degree which could be important.
I know it can go away. What I meant is that with my family history and personal history, I'm sure I'll be going through it a few more times in life. It just gets frustrating when it comes back. I have no problem with meds if they are going to help me. In fact I've taken them before successfully. I just happened to be one of those people that are more likely to gain weight on them. But like I said, I'll be okay with that as long as I'm not having these moods swings. I did ask my doctor for a referral to someone, but she's been stationed here for a few months and doesn't know anyone worth suggesting. Thank you for the website. I'll have to check it out
Old 06-09-2010, 11:20 PM   #7  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

I like seeing the smile

Sorry if I sounded a little dry up there, I have problems with empathy sometimes and come off as a little...well, factual. I have a background in science so that's what I am used to. Anyways, the stuff I pointed out is actually a lot of the same stuff I'm dealing with accepting. They tell me I have a certain "mood disorder" for which I take Wellbutrin. So, good luck! You always have our forum to vent to!
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Eyks,
Boy do I know how you feel. I have battled depression on and off for most of my life. I would take meds and feel better then start to feel lousy and stop taking them. I finally found a psychiatrist who understood and asked me a lot of questions. She diagnosed me with bipolar disorder and put me on the appropriate medication. Well, guess what? I feel great for this first time in a long time. I think that before I would stop taking the meds because they weren't really helping. Then I would get depressed again and try something else. I never really thought that I had the manic episodes, but now I see that I did. They were just never obvious to me. I'm not in any way suggesting that you are bipolar. I am just trying to say that if one med doesn't work, don't give up. And if you feel that meds are what you need then do it. And don't worry about gaining weight. Discuss it with your doctor. I have changed my eating habits and now avoid grains and dairy. I have lost 30 lbs. so far. There are meds that are considered to be weight neutral. Best of luck. This is a great place to be becuase you will get so much support.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #9  
Find Joy in the Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliquot View Post
I like seeing the smile

Sorry if I sounded a little dry up there, I have problems with empathy sometimes and come off as a little...well, factual. I have a background in science so that's what I am used to. Anyways, the stuff I pointed out is actually a lot of the same stuff I'm dealing with accepting. They tell me I have a certain "mood disorder" for which I take Wellbutrin. So, good luck! You always have our forum to vent to!
No problem at all. I just didn't want you to think I had no hope. That day almost felt like it though. Thank you again for the website. I found a few doctors to call.