Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'3"

Default Anti-depressants and divorce

I weaned myself off Wellbutrin a while ago and seemed to be doing fine. But now my husband and I are going through a divorce. Of course, everything associated with that has been very painful and stressful. Basically, I spontaneously cry 10x a day.

My therapist is going to just say "Go back on the wellbutrin," but I think the crying and depression is more situational than anything else. The situation at home has is incredibly painful. My husband doesn't understand that even though I'm the one pushing for divorce as a resolution to our marital problems, I'm incredibly sad about the pain I am causing him (because I do love him, even though I don't think we can be happy together) and I also am mourning the loss of my marriage. I expect we will both be sad about it for a very long time.

I guess I feel more anxious than depressed. I'm also not eating much, which probably has me even more on edge. It's hard to eat. I feel anxiety when I get into my car to drive home because every interaction at home is now so tense & strained -- from what the kids will eat for dinner to who is going to help them with their homework to staying away when his family is coming over to talking about the future.

I want to resist my therapist when she suggests going back on the anti-depressants, because I don't think I'm chronically depressed and I don't think I need them. I did have a prescription for Xanax at one point. I'm thinking about asking her for a new prescription for that just to use when my anxiety gets bad.

Has anyone been through anything similar or have any thoughts?
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I'm sorry to hear this and I truly hope you find the peace you need. Is your therapist suggesting you go back on meds just to get you through this rough time? I would think the reason why she/he is suggesting this is so that you don't go into a deeper depression, but thats jmho.

Best of luck to you (((HUG)))
Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I'm sorry you are going through such a tough time. I can only comment on my situation, I have no professional psych experience.

My best anti-depressant was the divorce itself. Honestly. I do know where you are coming from when you say you feel badly for the pain you are causing your husband, though. I still feel guilty about that. But I think we were both miserable being married to each other and would have just gotten more miserable over time.

I took anti-depressants for a few years, along with Xanax (3 times a day) for anxiety and I do not take anything anymore. I will never take them again, either. Particularly the Xanax. My well-meaning family physician prescribed them for me and increased the dosage when we thought it needed to be. His office staff was not the best and the last time my RX ran out, it took 3 days to get a refill. I was literally going through physical withdrawal by that time. I switched to a less addictive anxiety med then finally weaned myself off of everything. It was scary for me. I also don't see the psychologist or psychiatrist any longer. Haven't needed to for years.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with taking meds prescribed by a psych, but for me...I feel so much better without them.

Good luck to you. Just give serious thought before taking something that can be habit-forming, like Xanax.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry about your situation and I agree with Annie. Perhaps anti-depressants are what you need right now to get through this tough time. It doesn't have to be long term. From what I know, I don't thing Wellbutrin would be a good fit right now. This med in itself is known to cause anxiety and can suppress appetite (some drs actually prescribe it as a weight loss drug even thought that is off label). Perhaps something different would be more helpful. Also the Xanax is great, but if you need something every day, it probaby isn't the answer either. Please don't hesitate to talk to your therapist. It sounds like you just need the help right now and you should get it. Good luck to you.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #5  

This is a sad story. Hope you're doing alright now..
setweight4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #6  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

Taking medication is not admitting weakness or failure. Depression is a disease. I would try the Wellbutrin & anything else you can think of (yoga, meditation, friends, good books, music, etc.).

My divorce was the most stressful experience of my life & I was the one who wanted to end the marriage. And my weight loss plan got ruined. I gained 40 pounds in the process.

Divorce is so terrible and painful. Take whatever help is offered. And if the Wellbutrin doesn't do anything for you, you can stop or switch to something else.

My heart goes out to you. Find whatever light you can during this terrible time.
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote