Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW: 359 / CW: 350 / GW: 200

Height: 5ft 5ins

Default Really Struggling At The Moment

Hello All,

I'm really really going through a bad time at the moment, i feel defeated mentally & physically. I will not allow myself though to fall off the wagon, i know why i need to lose weight and i can't lose sight of that. But i'm struggling and i just feel exhausted mentally and physically. I have been doing my diet for 3 weeks but i had a week break for easter, so i have lost 5 pounds in total. It was 7 but i put 2 back on over easter. I have a lot to deal with mentally on a daily basis. I suffer with severe clinical depression or Uni-Polar, OCD, Anxiety, IBS and i'm housebound due to my mental illness aswell. I do see a psychiatrist and a doctor and i'm also on medication. I take Carbamazepine, Amitriptyline, both for the depression. I take Loperamide, Mebeverine and Cyclizine for the IBS and Omeprazole for reflux, and Co-Codamol for back and knee pain. I'm basically a physical and mental wreck! So trying to lose weight is a real problem for me, some days i find it difficult to even get up. I also look after my mother who is 73 and housebound herself due to Arthritis, so at the end of the day you can imagine i'm exhausted. I'm lucky that my brother helps me with mom though. I live with my brother who is a bachelor and of course my mom lives here aswell. So that is my life and i suppose i just needed to rant a little, sorry this is so long but my life is complicated and i haven't even talked about half of it lol. Maybe tomorrow i will feel better.

Sam x x x
GirlInterrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/152/120

Height: 5'6"

Hey!
I'm sorry I can't offer any real words of advice, but I want you to know you're not alone! Everyone struggles with weight loss for their own unique reasons. Don't think about Easter as "going off the wagon" but consider it as how you "slowed down your effort for a few days." It happens! If you accept as truth that you WILL lose weight, weight loss gradually becomes a "when" thing and not an "if" thing. You'll gain confidence and start believing that you can do it. Maybe try to remind yourself that once you get the weight off (not even all of it, just some of it) you'll start feeling better physically and mentally! A slimmer, healthier body won't solve all problems but it's a great start. =) Stick with it!
Lizzie2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #3  
I want to feel better

S/C/G: 291.2/???/healthier

Height: 5 foot 3.5 inches

Hi Sam,

Good luck to you. This is a great site for venting, sharing struggles, and getting support. Hope writing it down did help. Great job on losing 7 pounds! Now just keep going, bit by bit. Do something good for yourself every day, and they will start adding up.

MablesGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 182/175.4/125

Height: 5'3''

Any weight loss is good weight loss. Good job for doing that with everything you have going on. I applaud you for trying to be healthier, it will help you be happier too, it has helped me exercise when I am feeling my depression coming on. Even a walk through the neighborhood or mall gets you out for a bit to get your mind back in place...good luck!
Glow Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #5  

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and encouragement! I'm feeling a lot better today, yesterday was a complete nightmare but a new day and i'm feeling more confident and hopeful. I now understand that every pound i lose is a huge achievement and from now on will cherish everyone one i lose

Thank you once again for letting me rant and get it out.

Hugs Sam x x x
Old 04-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #6  
bex

S/C/G: 260.5/207/150

I really cant even imagine what you are going through but I just wanted to say don't give up!!
The start is always the hardest. When you start seeing results, clothes getting too big etc you will find some much motivation to keep going!
Also this website is amazing to rant on :P Its like you've got a great bunch of friends who are there for you 24/7!

Try and find some easy exercises to do that don't hurt your knees and back, it will make you feel emotionally better

Best of luck and feel free to private message me if you need someone to talk to
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #7  

Thank you so much Bex for your kind words!
I have been feeling better mentally the last few days,
unfortunately very poorly with my IBS though. But i'm
picking up and looking forward to starting some gentle exercise.
I have to always keep in the front of my mind to always take
one day at a time with everything! Once again thank you for your reply.

Sam
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM   #8  

I'm glad you are doing better. I actually had to "get right with myself" before I could start trying to lose weight YET AGAIN. I took about two years of no worry and stress about weight or what anyone thought, and did a lot of journaling, observing, and what began the issues.

I didn't even know I was depressed until I allowed myself to look at me.

It was sometimes incredibly painful. I'm a pretty upbeat person - but underneath - I was suffering from "functioning" chronic depression that I think would have only worsened if I'd not just stopped and let myself think and BE.

Best two years I've ever invested in. I did nothing - and I got to know myself as I actually am NOW. And I'm okay. I'm worth having a healthy body.

Don't know if that makes sense - but I am truly rooting for any fellow sufferers. I understand that challenge. I truly do.
ElizRuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #9  

Hi ElizRuth,

I can completely understand when you said you had to "Get right with myself" that is what it's like with me. I think i'm finally starting to understand why i need to do this and it's becoming clearer in my mind.
I can't begin to tell you how happy i am that you finally got right with yourself. congratulations!! It takes a lot of strength and conviction to diet and it's always a battle everyday, so every pound we lose is an achievement.
I'm also with you when you say your rooting for everyone who's going through all of this aswell. Thank you for your reply to my post ElizRuth and best of luck now and in the future.

Godbless Sam