Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2002, 07:57 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Wednesday, August 21st - Daily

Good Morning,

Can't play long, and you know why

How's everyone doing ? I'm okay, made some oriental beef yesterday with this sauce I found in the store that had all different spices in it but it also had asian pears in it. It was pretty good, lightly sweet and lightly salty - great combo. I stir fried some veggies and rice mmmmmmmm (but between you and me, its gasy stuff <---- and thats not me dancing).

Been cleaning the house a little bit each night so on Friday (day before the big #1 party) it won't be such an over load at the last minute. I should do this all the time (cleaning that is) but some nights I'm just sooooooooooo tired that after putting the to sleep I really don't wanna start cleaning at 8:30 pm.

Anyhooosier, have a wonderful day. Oh and I didn't do to bad yesterday eating, which makes me kinda happy (not great but okay).

TTYL, Love, Leenie
Old 08-21-2002, 10:35 AM   #2  

I just learned not to look up with my mouth open while helping R put wallboard on the ceiling! I also know that I'll have to shampoo my hair later!

We were going to go out to eat last night but, after mowing the golf course(lawn), I was too tired. Tonight we have to go to church for a little while, so maybe we'll head for the nearest eatery.

Nothing else new exept Brat the cat discovered that he likes to bite sheet plastic and our vapor barrier will have a few holes in it! He bites everything...shoes...paper...plastic...what a awful little animal!
Old 08-21-2002, 11:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Morning gang!
Are yall having fun yet??
Well apparently I am just pooped because I couldn't/didn't get up at 5:00 again this morning, so that means I have to go to the mall again during lunch and walk walk walk - oh well - at least I'm doing that much.
Hope all is well !
be good ;-)
hugs,
Cathy
Old 08-21-2002, 01:23 PM   #4  

Default Mornin'

Hello everyone,

Darned network access has been down for 3 HOURS and just came back up. This place by far has the crappiest access I have ever experienced. I work at a Fortune 500 company so you would *expect* it to work a little bit better... grrr anyway

Today is going fine so far.. been busy at work but no major crisis.. yet. Got up at 5am and did my latin dance workout. It does wake me up, but the first few minutes are moving is tough.. NO ONE should be awake that early!! Dinner tonight is grilled chicken and veggie couscous and my cow.

Not much else going on here.. gotta catch up on a lot of threads that I am late on.

Hope everyone has a happy hump day.
Old 08-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #5  

Hi. I am new here so I guess I will tell my story. My name is Tracy. I have been trying to lose weight for 7 years now. I was only successful once, when I went on phen fen. But, of course I gained it all back when they pulled it out of the market. I gained all my weight when I went on the depo provera shot (80lbs). I have lost 10 in the last couple of months. I really wish it would go faster. I am eating a lot better and am trying HMR (healthy management resources). They have prepared foods. The only problem is that I don't live near a program where I would get the benefits of going to the group classes.

I don't know what I need to make me be successful. I know I have a bad attitude because I am frusterated. I am working out everyday doing my "walk off the pounds" video.

I was diagnosed with depression last year when my husband and I started counseling. I tried Celexa but had problems. Then we moved to a new state and we haven't been back to any counseling. Things are great between us but not with me. I have been off any medication for a while. I have mixed feelings about meds. I am also very shy so I find it very hard to talk to anyone else about it. My husband is the only one that knows I have depression. On my real bad days I will say something to him about it and all he says is "we have to take care of it" and then nothing happens. I'm too busy to go see someone and I can't take time off work.

I also recently found out my dad has depression which was a big shock to me. Does it run in families? I'm not sure what to do about this whole depression thing. And my weight just makes it worse.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:08 PM   #6  

Hi Tracy,

Glad you could join us. When I first went to see a psychiatrist about my depression, that is one of the first things he told me... there IS a genetic prediposition for it. This doesn't necessarily mean you will get it, just you are more likely. I had depression at least 2 generations back on my father's side as well as anxiety andl as a suicide 2 generations back on my mother's side. I know I didn't chose this, but according to my doctor it would have been very surprising if I didn't get something with all that in the history. I think it is comforting to know that this isn't something I totally brought on myself, with my own body. Did your father ever receive treatment? I know in prior generations people went to the doctor for this sort of thing a lot less than now. It is still one of the last taboo areas of health discussion, which is very unfortunate. So many people can be helped if they would just let someone help them.

Do you have a new primary care doctor? That might be a place to start. If you aren't comfy with the one you have, then you need to look for one you ARE comfy with. This is your life and you are the only one who can ask for help. Meds may not be the right thing for you, but I think you should consult with a doctor first. There are lots of newer meds that have little or no side effects. It sometimes takes quite awhile to find the right med and /or dosage. I understand about being shy and talking to someone new about this, but just think about how you feel.. and the joy you are missing out of life? Life is too short to suffer... please don't any longer.

You are right that the weight makes it worse.. its another thing on top of all the junk that is stuck in your tired sad brain. Losing weight is not going to make everything better, but it is one less thing to worry and be upset about.

I hope you'll stick around with us.. most of us here have either suffered from depression or have in the past.

Good Luck
Old 08-21-2002, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey hawkeye - nice to meet ya!

I will make this short and sweet because it is busy here at work and I will be glad to discuss this further with you, but let me just say that chemical imbalances DEFINITELY do run in families - it is usually a genetic thing - well at least in my professional opinion anyway. :-) Over the past year or two I have learned more about chemical imbalances then I could have ever imagined.

2 years ago I would not have said what I am fixing to say, but here goes........

if you have a chemical imbalance you need meds to fix that imbalance and make it normal. it is no different then if you had sugar diabetes and needed insulin - it is simply an imbalance in your body that needs normalizing and meds can do that. for some reason people have a problem with chemical imbalances because they think it is "all in your head" which is not the case, other then the imbalance in your body is affecting your brain rather then another organ in your body.

Well good thing this was short and sweet huh!

take care,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 08-21-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2002, 03:41 PM   #8  

Yes, I believe that despresion "runs in families". I know my mother had many mental problems and my sister tried to commit suicide. I had depression many years ago and remember the pain yet. LindaT and Cathyxxx gave great advice! I've "known" them from this site for over two years and have yet to see them say anything that isn't good down to earth advice.

Come join us! We act silly sometimes, but that's all right too. Silly is good and laughter helps depression. Tell us about your days and just about anything else you want to share.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Tracy WELCOME !!!

Hey listen depression is nothing to be embarassed about, but not wanting to tell the world your business I can understand.

Nobody in my family know's I'm on Meds except hubby and my sister. As far as I am concerned I'm not embarassed, I just feel its nobody's business

Well okay except you guys who understand.

TTYL, Love Leenie
Closed Thread