Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #46  
Sammi

S/C/G: 243.5/201.5/149

Height: 5'5''

Anyone get worse before getting better? When I started I basically cried for about 3 days straight...now I upped to 300mg and the same thing is happening...
aliquot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #47  
Buddha Shaped

S/C/G: 307/307/199

Height: 5'3"

I'm on a minuscule dosage (75mg) due to concern of sparking mania (I'm bipolar, so anti-depressants are tricky). For me, at least, the first month or two on Wellbutrin turned me into a rapid-cycling monster. I flew from rage to despondency crazy fast. Now I only take it every other day, and things have evened out.

It sounds like you had the same reaction before? Maybe hang in there and see if it gets better. Good luck!
DuckyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #48  

I was CRAZY when I was first on it. Paranoia, anxiety, delusional, overly emotional, crying, couldnt sleep, pacing, out of it, etc. But after about 4 days, the fog "lifted" and I felt amazing! I barely notice a difference anymore....I just feel like "me".
michellesv44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 180.6/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I will say that I've been on about 10-15 different meds for depression and anxiety for the last 10 years. My first med was Prozac and it was a WONDER drug when I first went on it! I realized after about 8-9 months that it didn't work for my anymore and learned this was fairly common. After struggling with meds for years with a doctor, I got to a breaking point, and a psychologist recommended me to a psychiatrist. BEST DECISION OF MY LIFE. If any of you are stuggling with your meds, and you aren't already, go find one! It's well worth the money!

My new doc has tried a couple different "cocktails" for me, and once we found one that worked well, I stayed on it until my body evened out and I didn't feel miserable all the time - I was taking Wellbutrin, Lexapro, and Clonapin. Those of you having trouble sleeping - adding 5 mg of Clonapin was a savior for me!

Once I felt on top of the world, he slowly started weening me off and taking the levels of everything down. I went off the Clonapin first and we did that for 2 months, then he lowered the doses and finally took me off the lexapro. Being an anxious/irritable person, I could immediately tell a difference without the lexapro - I felt like an irritable, anxious maniac!

I expressed this to him, so he put me back on a low dose... long story short, the wellbutrin XL (300 mg) and Lexapro (25 mg, I think!) are great for me!

Those of you getting help and dealing with this horrible disease - good for you! I've found in the last 10 years that it is nothing to be ashamed of, and it is MY responsibility to go to the doctor and be 100% honest with him to help me help myself!

Keep your chins up - once you get the meds right - you'll feel like new chicks!
Tryin2LoseIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #50  

Height: 5'6

After dealing with depression for far too long I am back on Wellbutrin. I am starting at 150 XL (generic and yes I know it's not as good but works for me). I will most likely be moved up to 300 XL.

I'm in the honeymoon phase as it's called. I feel wonderful and happy and motivated and not hungry! I was able to deal with the stress at work. I can only hope this continues after the first couple of weeks.

I also got a referral to a psychologist (reg. doc gave me the prescription for wellbutrin).

I am excited and for once....I am hopeful.

I hope everyone finds whatever works for them and remember there is hope! ^_^
MutableParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #51  
Sammi

Man, I wish I had a "honeymoon phase"... :\
Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 AM   #52  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, for what its worth. I am Bipolar and primarily take Lamictal. I was also taking Wellbutrin (150mg) , since I still felt some depression. I had been taking the Wellbutrin and not doing very well then I found a new pdoc who diagnosed the bipolar and added the Lamictal (best move of my life). After reaching a level dose of Lamictal, she removed the Wellbutrin. This happened last November. I started getting depressed again, so she put the Wellbutrin back in and I felt great.

Now, spring comes along and I started not feeling not so great anymore. The problem is that the weather is warmer and the sun comes out more, so it's like light therapy and I started feeling better. I talked to my pdoc and we lowered the Wellbutrin to 75 mg. So far, it is working for me. I feel good without feeing too good, if you know what I mean.

Sorry to ramble on, but I wanted to share this, just to say that sometimes weather can make a difference. I never would have considered it before, but now I realize that it's something to consider.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:34 PM   #53  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyinkpen View Post
I had a very similar experience when I started on it (generic XL version). I was taking 150mg in the morning, and while I did feel much more sane and stable, I just didn't feel happy. I could remember feeling happy and I knew where I wanted to get to, but I just wasn't there. I think I was two months in when I switched to 300mg, also one pill in the morning.

That made all the difference! After a couple more weeks it was like I could breathe again - I felt light and free and happy. It was amazing.

I've been on that dose 7-8 months and I'm still doing pretty good. I still have some bad days, and occasionally a rocky week - like this week I'm rather irritable, but everyone goes through that.
I was going through this forum to get some feedback on Wellbutrin, and wondered from post to post if someone was talking about Wellbutrin XL or SR. My Dr. said there is a big difference between the XL and SR, with the Wellbutrin XL being the better one for speeding up the metabolism, therefore helping with weight loss.

Last edited by GR8 2B48; 05-17-2010 at 07:46 AM.
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #54  
Sammi

GR8 - I am on Wellbutrin XL. Also, I am not aware of any scientific published data supporting the theory that Wellbutrin actually speeds up your metabolism, so your doctor needs to start reading up on the literature. The consensus in the scientific community is that Wellbutrin can help you lose weight through "improved appetite regulation, decreased food cravings, or improved motivation".

Reference: Anderson JW, Greenway FL, Fujioka K, Gadde KM, McKenney J, O'Neil PM. Bupropion SR enhances weight loss: a 48-week double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Obes Res. 2002;10(7):633–641.

Last edited by aliquot; 05-16-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 AM   #55  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8 2B48 View Post
I was going through this forum to get some feedback on Wellbutrin, and wondered from post to post if someone was talking about Wellbutrin XL or SR. My Dr. said there is a big difference between the XL and ER, with the Wellbutrin XL being the better one for speeding up the metabolism, therefore helping with weight loss.
Let me rephrase that. Since other AD's have a tendency to slow down the metabolism therefore making it nearly impossible to lose weight, Wellbutrin XL does not slow the metabolism down. I took Wellbutrin SR about 3 years ago and gained 10 lbs. in 2 weeks because of cravings, whereas I know at least one person that started Paxil over 10 years ago and lost weight, made it to goal and is still maintaining that weight loss today.
Each person is still different and you just have to know your body and what works for you. You also have to find a Dr. who is willing work with you.

Last edited by GR8 2B48; 05-17-2010 at 07:51 AM.
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #56  

I have been on wellbutrin for depression for 5 months and went from 197 to 160...... Im active so as fast as that sounds, im healthy and doing great. Im much better socially beacuse of the meds and much more pleasent to be around!!!!
ashleyann27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #57  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Height: 5'6"

I've been on the Wellbutrin 300mg QD since February and I've lost 30 lbs now. :-)
JetSet1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 230/225/170

Height: 5'9"

Turns out I lost 20lbs in 3 months on Wellbutrin... went off it after getting pregnant, miscarried (totally unrelated), but have kept the weight off, even though I haven't gone back on the meds. Haven't needed them, but would go back on in a heartbeat if I started feeling depressed again.
AnneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 170/166.4/140

Height: 5'1"

Hello friends, A friend of mine recomended that I see my GP for depression. I've been married for 22 years. Lately the marriage has had alot of issues, and I'm feeling depressed. The husband told me I'm to heavy and he's not attracted to me like this. Its so hard, I fight back depression, which makes me want to just eat. I need to do something soon. Its getting out of my control. Is Welbutrin good for depression, and will it cause me to gain wt?
Thanks
Zinger
Zinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/140

I'm on wellbutrin 300mg and without it I don't want to get out of bed in the morning or do anything at all. When I first started it, I couldn't sleep without a sleep aid because it REALLY increased my anxiety. I can finally sleep without help (though melatonin helps). I do think it helped me to lose the weight I have lost so far, but mainly because it helps me to function.
ElizabethG is offline   Reply With Quote