Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #1  

Smile Can't stop eating

I started eating alot a day before thanksgiving and its 4 days later and I wake up thinking about food. Of course with bipolar i take medicine which at times makes me depressed more than i would be normally. I havent been moving around much just sit upstairs eat and watch tv. Pretty bad.
I am going to start walking in the morning no matter what and I bought meals for lunch and supper so I wouldnt think oh no what to eat and eat way too much. Is anyone else going through this almost an ocd eating?
orangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/155/115

I have been going through what you are feeling. I am bipolar as well and know what its like to be on your medication and still get complete depressed. I finally went to my doctor and told him what was going on with the depression. He prescribed me an anti depressant on top of my current medication. With so much going on I have been completely stressed out and when that happens all I do is eat. Which really isn't a good thing. I have a friend online that I talk to and she is trying to lose wait.. So we are getting together and talking online. I would say the main thing that usually helps when you feel like you want to eat constantly is make your self move. Go for a walk and just relax yourself. Get on here and vent it out. You need to find something that works for you. Its the only way you will get through it. If you need to talk then I am here. You can PM me any time.
Purefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/185/150

Height: 5'6"

Boy, do I hear both of you. I am also bipolar, which was only correctly diagnosed recently. Prior to that, I was only diagnosed with depression. Now that my diagnosis is correct and I take meds for bipolar, I am doing much better. That said, I still do have times where I am pretty depressed and now is one of them. I go to see my therapist tomorrow and she works in the same office with my pdoc, so I will talk to the therapist and see if she can talk to my doc and get some additional help. Anyway, I started eating on Thanksgiving. That day actually wasn't too bad, but I'm still eating too much. My family has been home and I just haven't gotten back to eating as good as I had been. Oh well, everyone goes back to work and school tomorrow so maybe I'll get back on track... Ladies, let me know how you are doing.
mom with issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangey View Post
I started eating alot a day before thanksgiving and its 4 days later and I wake up thinking about food. Of course with bipolar i take medicine which at times makes me depressed more than i would be normally. I havent been moving around much just sit upstairs eat and watch tv. Pretty bad.
I am going to start walking in the morning no matter what and I bought meals for lunch and supper so I wouldnt think oh no what to eat and eat way too much. Is anyone else going through this almost an ocd eating?
It's tough to get out when you get into that cycle.

I've significantly cut down my meal sizes, but I do eat 5-6 times a day. Seems to be working so far.
SilverShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #5  
I ♥ Life!

S/C/G: 231/221/150

Height: 5'3"

Oh, I hear you, sweetie. That happened to me the day after Thanksgiving until a couple of days ago. I actually ate pretty well on Turkey Day, and was proud, but for some reason I lost some of my mojo that day after. I didn't work out at all for almost a week, and my eating (while not completely out of control) was definitely increased. I don't know what happened.

BUT, I decided to pull myself back up by the boot straps, and get back to business. So, I returned to my healthy eating, and I did Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workout. I noticed that my energy was extremely low when I was in the slumpy mood last week, and I was depressed. I don't want to allow myself to stay in that mindframe, so I'm getting myself together.

I read a quote that inspired me, I would like to share it with you...

"You've got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough, I can have it. It's called Perseverance." ~Lee Iacocca

You can do this. We all can. If you have to fake it until you make it, then go ahead. This isn't impossible.
Dulce Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184.8/179.8/120

Height: 5'3"

yes! I feel that way too. It's almost like the only thing I'm looking forward to is what I'll be eating that day. I like to bake too, so even if nothing is in the house, I'll whip something up.

I'm a newbie, but I'll be watching and helping where I can. Good luck and hopefully we'll both find answers!
luckydogcafe is offline   Reply With Quote