Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 11-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #1  

Height: 5,1"

Unhappy Please help me to stop getting worse!

Hi guys, I'm just looking for some help and I thought you might be able to help me. I was just diagnosed with depression this week and I am on a 6 week waiting list to see a psychiatrist. I don't know what I'm supposed to do until then. For about a month, i wasn't eating, and then for the past week I have just been eating and eating until I feel sick. I can't seem to stop eating rubbish now. Today I couldn't even drag myself out of bed. I lay for hours crying and crying and when I eventually got myself up, I went to the supermarket, bought heaps of junk, and just sat on the sofa stuffing my face all day long with Zac Efron movies! Is this just meant to carry on for the next 6 weeks til I speak to someone? I feel like I'm just getting myself into even deeper depression. I need help and I don't know who to turn to.
Cat
CatRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #2  
I've only just begun! :)

S/C/G: 338/Ticker/180

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatRocks View Post
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some help and I thought you might be able to help me. I was just diagnosed with depression this week and I am on a 6 week waiting list to see a psychiatrist. I don't know what I'm supposed to do until then. For about a month, i wasn't eating, and then for the past week I have just been eating and eating until I feel sick. I can't seem to stop eating rubbish now. Today I couldn't even drag myself out of bed. I lay for hours crying and crying and when I eventually got myself up, I went to the supermarket, bought heaps of junk, and just sat on the sofa stuffing my face all day long with Zac Efron movies! Is this just meant to carry on for the next 6 weeks til I speak to someone? I feel like I'm just getting myself into even deeper depression. I need help and I don't know who to turn to.
Cat
Hey, Cat,

First - everyone needs a day of stuffing themselves with Zac Efron sometimes - it's like it's own anti-depressant.

Second - can whoever diagnosed the depression not give you something? In most cases the GP can prescribe something, as it's always a long wait for a pdoc. If it was your GP, give their office a call back and tell them that you're really not doing well, and you either need to see someone sooner than six weeks, or you need to start something to get you through. They should be able to give you a low dose of something. If they think you're coping (and we all fake it in public) they may hold off - if they know you're struggling, they'll probably prescribe something.

In the short-term, cleaning really helps me - take control of your space and make it warm and fuzzy. Turn the music up while you clean and SING - at the top of your voice. It's literally impossible to be depressed and sing. Make your space feel clean and warm and welcoming - make something nice (and healthy) to eat, have a long bath and get on clean pj's and just chill out. Maybe a book or a movie?

I know that's all easy to say - and SO hard to do when you're down. I know that when I'm sliding down again, I can't read - no concentration. And I hate it - I'm lost without a book.

The most important thing is to make sure that if you start to feel like you're wanting to hurt yourself, call someone. The Salvation Army, your local hospital, a friend...someone. When this black cloud passes (and it will) you'll know you made the right decision.

Lastly, you are NOT the only one....and you're not alone. You took an awesome step in posting for help - it means you want to fix it, and that's a great start. Hang in there!!!!!
Havisham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Ok have I seen this post before? Just had a serious case of deja vu.

My second thought was "so that is what it will be like with government run health care"

My third thought was.....

Keep talking to us. If you can't get medical help at least keep reaching out!!
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #4  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

I'm new here...but your post really jumped out at me and I wanted to show encouragement and support. Depression is definitely a struggle...and it conflicts so much with a healthy lifestyle. It's so hard not to get caught up in a back and forth cycle or turn to food for comfort. It's my weakness, too.

That being said, don't beat yourself up. Everyone has those days of junk food on the couch...although I'm usually watching reality tv, lol. It's part of life...we hit bottom and stress out and turn to things that make us feel better, even if it's just in the moment. It's unfair that those things sometimes make us feel worse in the long run.

You will be fine and I hope that first visit with the psychiatrist goes really well and covers ground and gets you on the track to feeling better. You should be proud of what you have accomplished and focus on overcoming your personal obstacles because I KNOW you can do it!

Good luck!
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 148/143/120

Height: 5'0"

Hi Cat, I'm so sorry it's a six week wait for you to be able to see someone! I was diagnosed with bipolar last year, and it can be **** trying to get help. In the meantime, just do the best you can. If you have a rough day, don't beat yourself up over it. We all need a break sometimes. Then just try to pick up the next day with eating better, working out, etc. Is there anyone there you can get to go out for a night, do something fun, try to cheer yourself up and take your mind off things for a bit?
untamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #6  

Keep in mind that clinical depression is an illness - a nasty one that saps our energy, optimism, enthusiasm, and ability to experience pleasure. That's the bad news. The good news is that, like most illnesses, it is a self-limiting disease. You will get better, even if you do nothing.

Doing something, like seeking professional help, is better. You are doing that.

While waiting, treat yourself well and don't beat yourself up. If you had the flu, you wouldn't expect a lot from yourself. Depression is like a bad case of flu. It feels horrible, but it does go away.

Are you self-medicating with food? Many of us do that, and then we hate ourselves for gaining weight.
Lincolns Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:45 AM   #7  

Being depressed sucks. I realized recently that I'm depressed again. It sucks! I work so hard and depression makes working hard harder. You don't have to wait six weeks, though, you can help yourself to an extent.

Do you have access to a horse? Horses are amazing creatures that heal humans. Start taking lessons, if you can afford it, in any discipline, just make sure you will be responsible for grooming and even cleaning stalls. Trust me, it works. It is trans-formative. You can't not focus on the horse when you are caring for it, and focusing on the horse takes you out of yourself. Very good for depression.

If you aren't a horsey person, then try puppies. Don't volunteer at a shelter--too depressing. Know someone with a pet? Borrow the dog and just play for a little bit. Dogs are our special healers, too. My dog has saved my life already and earned himself his place in Heaven. If you can, get a dog and fall in love with it. It's the falling in love that is the important part.

I've found that herbs help--evening primrose oil & st. john's wart. They really do, though it takes some time--maybe two weeks, and the results are subtle. You'll just notice that you feel better and are dealing with things better.

Exercise. Don't do it for weight loss or looks--do something fun, like kart wheels, skipping, hand stands, head stands, belly dancing, hiking with your dog, etc. Something to get your heart rate up and maybe make you laugh.

Are you hurting? Did you suffer a loss recently? What is going on that has you depressed? Is is physiological, emotional, or both? Do you have family or friends to turn to? If not, dogs and horses.

And I know. My mom died this past January, and she was it for me. She was my ally. No one else is. Others love me, but they don't love me like she did. There is no one like her in all the world. It just hurts being here without her. But her love for me still helps me, and because I can't hug her anymore, I hug my dog and my horse. They help tremendously with heart hurt!

And because I am who I am, I have to say that Jesus is the way. There is no other way. Have you tried him yet?
JediLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #8  

P.S. If you get a dog, rescue one from the shelter. I recommend mutts. My mutt is a 112 lb lab mix, and he is literally the BEST DOG IN THE WORLD! Like I said, he's saved my life once already.
JediLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #9  

Default why

Why do you have such a long wait?
We are here for you
orangey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #10  

Height: 5' 3"

I struggle with bouts of depression also. Sometimes I feel better when I take myself out to a movie. I like to go by myself because I don't have the energy to be with anyone. And I like the fact that I can "lose" myself in the movie and stop thinking about how bad I'm feeling, for a couple of hours anyway. At the very least, I'll feel better about getting myself out of the house.
I also like to go to my local coffee place. I take a book or a magazine and just sit. I think being in a social place, seeing others people moving around or listening to conversations around me, lifts my spirits without my exerting any energy to be with someone else.
Lunch with a friend? That's my "fake it until I make it" move. A lot of my friends don't understand the depths of my depression (I keep it well hidden) and sometimes just being out to lunch and listening to what they have to talk about gives me a bit of a boost.
Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.
Lyndel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #11  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

I agree with going back to your GP and getting some meds. Just to tide you over until the appointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcossel View Post
My second thought was "so that is what it will be like with government run health care"
Umm, what? In Aus we have government run health care, and my hubby saw a psych the day after his GP diagnosed him with depression. Way to leap to conclusions based on one anecdote!
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote