Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 10:31 AM   #1  
grateful

Angry Responding to Hopintolose50

Dear Hopintolose50: I have just read your thread. I am in the 3 fat chicks website and I found this depression/losing weight site. I am finally at the end of my rope. I don't know where to turn. Like you and the other ones who posted, I am scared to death that I will balloon up over 300 lbs. I am currently 245 and out of control with eating doesn't even begin to describe me. I eat and eat and I am not hungry at all, I just want to eat. I all the wrong things, wrong amounts. Everyday is a new day and I always say "today will be different" and I do so great at breakfast and the rest of the day is blown. Can anyone give me any advice other than "get a grip". Thanks.
Old 07-05-2002, 02:15 PM   #2  

I usually hesitate to promote a particular diet or way of life, but I guess it wouldn't be too presumptuous of me to suggest that you might explore some of the low-carb lifestyles. The reason I say this is that I have been where you are, following low fat, high carb plans: I would eat a "good" breakfast and as the day went on my cravings would get worse and worse and by lunch of course I would give in to a cheeseburger and fries.

I don't want to go into all the specifics here, but it wouldn't hurt you to take a look at some of these plans, read what they're all about (this is assuming you haven't done that already). Personally, I'm most familiar with Atkins and Carbohydrate Addicts, but there are more you can learn about if you explore the Low Carb section on this forum. I'm not promoting Carb Addicts, but I do know they have a short test on their website that is supposed to give you a clue whether you may benefit from low carb: www.carbohydrateaddicts.com

From my experience (and I'm really big on pointing out that everyone is different and things don't always work the same for every body), I have found that: (1) the low carb lifestyle helps me control my cravings and (2) exercise and a simple multi-vitamin supplement help stabilize my moods (i.e., keeps me from sinking into depression). Plus, having a board like this to lend support is great, too!

Good luck!
Pen
Old 07-10-2002, 01:21 PM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi,

I'm right there with you. The more I obsess over dieting the more I gain, and I just want to eat and eat. I have been on every diet known to mankind and then some. I was 300 lbs and went down to 150 now I'm back up to 225 and scared to death.

I have been reading this book that is called the weigh down diet, what it is - is not a diet, it teaches you how to eat again, meaning eating slowly, recognizing your body's signals to stop you when your comfortably full - not stuffed, which is the only thing I know, and I have to admit I like that feeling but the most important thing it teaches you is when your feeling the urge to eat and your not hungry to call out to God for only he can help.

Now mind you, I've been trying to do this for quite some time. My over eating did not develop over night so I need to realize that I'm not going to change me or my habbits over night...its gonna take time. If I do good at one meal per day, I'm sooooo happy. Soon I will be good at every meal and the weight will start to come off.....its just a matter of time and prayers to the only one who can help me (God). I'm so afraid to weigh myself though LOL.

The reason I chose this book was because I'm soooooooo sick of dieting, counting and saying to myself I can't have that or I can't have this. I want to eat what I like !!!!!!! and thats what this book is about, you can have what ever you want, just have to stop eating it when you are comfortable (meaning smaller sizes). I've just recently started using a small plate at dinner time and if it doesn't fit on the plate, I'm not putting it in my stomach. I hope this helps me Sipping water between bites also helps.

Gee I hope I haven't bored you to much. Hope we can help you.
Love, Leens (HANG IN THERE !!!!!)
Old 07-10-2002, 04:02 PM   #4  
grateful

Default Responding to hopintolose

Hi Leens:

It was so great to hear from you. Your post really helped me. I never thought about, take it one meal at a time, hum.

I also have been on every diet it seems known to mankind. This is what I have decided to do. First of all I am going to erase the word "diet" from my vocabulary. I told my husband yesterday that this is a "new way of living", a permanent lifestyle change.

This is my plan and I am on my third day so far. First of all I am a recent stay-at-home mom after being in the workplace for years. I have set behind a desk and computer and have not exercised for years. The only exercise I can do is walk, I hate exercise but I love walking, it relaxes me and clears my mind. I am taking it one day at a time and walking a little further each day. As far as eating goes I am eating basically whatever I want except I am limiting portions and fat content. Like for breakfast I had a bowl of cornflakes with cut up banana and skim milk. The changes I made in that meal was that I used skim instead of 2% milk, I didn't add loads of sugar as usual and I didn't go back for seconds. It was just fine. For supper last night I ate a bowel of rice covered with beans that I had cooking in the crockpot all day, (15 different kinds of beans in a pack), they are delicious and I did not add seasoning. The thing different about this meal is that I didn't put, this is going to sound gross, I didn't put mayonaise on the beans, and I didn't put sugar and butter on the rice. Just little changes like this is what I am doing and quite frankly I was stuffed afterward. Oh yeah, to feed my sweet tooth, I got some rice and sprayed I can't believe its not butter on it and sprinkled Equal on this, it was very good and I cut fat and calories. I refuse to count calories or fat grams. I don't have time and I am sick of it after years of "dieting". Just eat in small amounts and watch my fat content and increase my exercise.

I also love the book Shape magazine. It is great and has before and after photos with basic principles of losing weight.

I am sorry this is so long but I wanted to let you and anyone else interested know what I am doing, oh and by the way, I also refuse to weigh myself, I am guessing I weigh 245, could be slightly more, could be slightly less. I am going to measure my progress by the way my clothes fit.

Gotta go. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks for your help and good luck to you.

Teresa
Old 07-10-2002, 04:12 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Theresa, I'm not weighing myself either, I'm so sick of #'s I could puke

I'm glad you have a plan in place. Hang with us chickens, maybe we could make eachother laugh.

TTYL, Love, Leens (time to go home yahooo).
PS I'd really love to stay at home with my 10 month old but
Old 07-10-2002, 04:39 PM   #6  
grateful

Default response to hopintolose

Dear Leens, wow that was quick. I love quick responses.

I have 4 children, ages 15, 6, 5 and 8 months. My salary did not cover childcare during the summer. Things are going to be tight at my house but already it is well worth it. This is only my 3rd week home and it is great. I am working part-time at night doing transcription work for one of the local doctors and trying to get more work to do at night for extra money.

You sound so much like me. I am so sick of this all I could puke also Oh well like I said, one day at a time, or like you said, one meal at a time. Talk to you later.

Bye, Teresa
Old 07-11-2002, 08:40 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Theresa,

Meet us on the daily board, there are a few other gals there that are sooooooooo nice.

See you there ???

Love, Me

4 KIDS OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolol. I'd love to see picture.
Old 07-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #8  
grateful

Question Daily board

Where is the daily board? Where do I log onto it? Thanks.
Old 07-12-2002, 01:21 AM   #9  

Hi Teresa,

The "daily" is right under the threads in the "depression and weight issues" forum, it is dated with that days date. Just click on and type!!!!

Have a good one and welcome.

Meg
Closed Thread