Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 AM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default pulling it together.

I'm slowly trying to incorporate healthy habits back into my life after several years of being depressed. I'm off junk food, and walking regularly. The next thing I need to tackle is my hygiene. I finally got my make up and hair products unpacked (we moved a month ago), so starting this morning I'm going to commit to shower everyday, or even every other day, put on some makeup and try to look somewhat presentable. Need to wash my face at night, and brush my teeth twice a day. I feel ridiculous that these are chores that take so much effort I have to commit to them in writing, but it is what it is. I'll check back and let you know how I'm doing.
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230.4/162.2/140

Height: 5feet 2inches

GOOD MORNING HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT FOR YOU GOOD JOB ON NO JUNK FOOD THAT'S A PLUS I'M TRYING THAT AS WELL I STARTED UP WALKING/JOGGING YESTERDAY MYSELF DID 4.38 MILES JOGGED 2 WALKED THE REST I'M HAPPY WITH THAT!!!! WE WILL SEE WHAT TODAY BRINGS.KEEP US POSTED WITH YOU ON EVERYTHING

HAVE A GREAT DAY TO ALL

S

Last edited by jellybellyjen; 06-11-2009 at 09:09 AM.
jellybellyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #3  
The Best is Yet to Come!

S/C/G: 235/220/140

Height: 5'3

Thin...I know exactly what you are facing. I am dealing with those same things, silly for some, but difficult for me. I hope that you can accomplish some of those things that you have mentioned, me too!
ohfaithful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

You can do it, thinpossible! It looks like your 17 days without junk food are already having a positive impact on how you are feeling, because you are setting goals and getting healthy. Don't worry about the goals seeming "silly"; even normally routine tasks like hygiene can seem monumental when you've been seriously depressed so it's a very, very good sign that you are taking these steps.

You are taking all the right steps in a positive direction! You're on your way!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #5  

So far I'm doing pretty well. Last night I did not want to bother to clean my face and teeth, but I made myself. It only takes about 4 minutes, and I feel so much better in the morning with a clean face. Habits are very difficult for me, but I'm trying to stick with it.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #6  
The Best is Yet to Come!

Congrats thin... So far I've made myself eat two meals today...the last one is going to be simple ...a smoothie...that's about all the energy I have today. I did go out into the yard and pull some weeds...if you only knew how major that was...

Tomorrow my goal is to do the front yard...

Last edited by ohfaithful; 06-13-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM   #7  

Didn't do very well yesterday, but this morning I jumped in the shower first thing.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #8  
The Best is Yet to Come!

Hey Thin...I did the shower thiing today and the front yard, although not by myself...I feel better! Happy to hear you made goal too!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfaithful View Post
Hey Thin...I did the shower thiing today and the front yard, although not by myself...I feel better! Happy to hear you made goal too!
Great JOb! I got the front hedges trimmed, so I guess we were both working outside yesterday. Didn't shower this morning, but I think every other day is ok. Cleaned my face and teeth and put some make up on. Now I'm off to take the dog for a walk.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi thinpossible,
i have similar goals, mostly with house work though.

have you every heard of fly lady? it's a book that sounds silly, but it really helped me by learning to set rediculously small goals that add up throughout the day. i don't follow the book by heart, but i do still incorporate some of the practices.
the book is called "Sink Reflections"
http://www.flylady.net/pages/flyshop_sink.asp

and she has a web site: http://www.flylady.net/

it's amazing how some of the simple steps in the book make such a big difference in how you feel.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #11  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

kae, I am having the same issues with house work as well. My place always looks like a dump and i'm ashamed to have people over.

I've only been eating clean and exercising for about 2 weeks, and I'm having quite a tough time over it....I've been EXTREMELY aggrivated and grumpy, moody, and just sometimes I even throw hissey fits...ARGH! I get up and ride my bike to and from work then ride to the gym and work out and when I get home I just want to go to bed so i'm not awake and craving bad foods and always wondering if i'm exercising enough or if i made the right food choices. I'm still hoping that it will get easier, because i really don't want to spend the rest of my life being so angry i could choke someone....
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaebea View Post
Hi thinpossible,
i have similar goals, mostly with house work though.

have you every heard of fly lady? it's a book that sounds silly, but it really helped me by learning to set rediculously small goals that add up throughout the day. i don't follow the book by heart, but i do still incorporate some of the practices.
the book is called "Sink Reflections"
http://www.flylady.net/pages/flyshop_sink.asp

and she has a web site: http://www.flylady.net/

it's amazing how some of the simple steps in the book make such a big difference in how you feel.
Yes, I have heard of her. I signed up for a while, but I was overwhelmed with all the emails. I do keep up with the "zones" of the house and do those with her. Actually, my house is pretty clean most of the time, it's just other areas I can't seem to be consistent in. Maybe I'll check out the book and see if I can get some help where I need it, thanks!
Old 06-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't post often in this section; but wanted to say great job for sticking to a routine. I know how hard it is... for awhile I was getting there... and then some things in life just upset me and I'm back at square one. It is funny how something as small as washing your face, and even brushing your teeth take effort when you are depressed.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #14  

Ugh, today has not been good. I mean I feel ok, but thinking about going upstairs to clean my face and teeth just seems haaaard. Wow that sounds really whiny. So here is my plan for the day:

Pick up DD#1 from music camp ( I have to leave in about 10 minutes)
Come home, change out the laundry and take care of my face, teeth and hair.
Fold laundry
Unpack another box or two.

Then it'll be lunch time, and I'll play it by ear from there.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #15  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I'm right there with you, sister. It's the routine that gets to me. Anything I have to do that's repetitive seems repulsive to me. I know that for me, it's Adult ADD that is at issue, on top of depression.

As for the personal hygiene thing, oy! I'm definitely in the same club! I too feel much better when I've properly washed my face, etc. But there's so many other things to do in a day...I get up and hit the ground running with caring for everyone else's needs that it's now just after noon and I'm still not showered and dressed, etc. But the whole downstairs is dusted and vacuumed, all the dishes are done, the laundry is almost done, the boys are packed to spend the weekend with their father, we had lunch, and I just put a bunch of shoes away in the closet.

Its funny how the rest of the house can be clean, but everything slowly migrates to the garage or my bedroom. And they look like dumping grounds! I don't like to live like this, but I get to a certain point in the day and I'm too mentally tired to make myself do one more thing.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote