3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Depression and Weight Issues (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues-76/)
-   -   Tyrosine (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depression-weight-issues/173536-tyrosine.html)

Platinum 06-05-2009 06:18 PM

Tyrosine

Has anyone tried the amino-acid supplement Tyrosine I read about in the Woman's Weekly magazine and just found that article online about it.

I've had depression since I was 13 but got counseling while I was a teenager and have learned since then to cope with it. I have my tools and never let myself get too depressed. I had the most wonderful counselor, he told me that people who lose themselves in depression are like people who think once the sun goes behind the clouds that it will never be come out again. He also told me to not think of depression as a burden but to embrace the idea that I, unlike other "normal" people, have the ability to feel so deeply and that its amazing because some people will never be able to feel so strongly and passionately about things like "we" do. After a couple years with this counselor I learned to deal with it and while its always still there now it doesn't control my life.

Lately I've been sinking back into that feeling of depression. This time I hope with sticking to a healthier lifestyle and attitude I'll be a happier person. But before I get to that place I thought why not take some supplements to help my imbalance now.

This Tyrosine sounds promising... I wish I could find the Woman's Weekly article online cuz it talks about it helping regulate dopamine, epinephrine and another NeuroTransmitter that has to do with depression. I took Prozac as a teenager and never thought it helped me because it only increases the NT Serotonin. Over the years I've talked to other people on Anti-Depressants and have thought that people who took AD's that helped their dopamine levels sounded closer to my depression symptoms than people who've taken Prozac. I always have thought if I ever go back to a psychologist I would ask for a dopamine-AD... but I've never had the reason to go back (or the insurance!) but I don't really see the harm in trying the Tyrosine.

Anyways, I saw also in Muscle & Fitness Hers that they recommend it for people who have low energy all day too. So thats a bonus, I hope it helps. Anyone else that's tried this or other Amino-Acid or Phytonutrient supplements I'd like input from as well. Thank-you!

Betony 06-05-2009 08:43 PM

I was just reading about amino acid supplementation in my Nutrition class. Generally speaking, Tyrosine is manufactured by the body and is manufactured from phenylalanine. The problem with isolated amino acids as supplements is that the body is not designed to handle high concentrations of single amino acids like Tyrosine. By adding it as a supplement to what your body naturally makes, you could cause your body to form deficiencies in other amino acids (the body doesn't use amino acids in isolation -- it combines them with other amino acids to form proteins for specific functions. If you have too much of one, the body uses up the others trying to balance out the excess). Think of it as a puzzle piece -- too many pieces of the same shape, and you won't have a puzzle (body) that sticks together very well. It's somewhat different if your body doesn't produce tyrosine because it can't utilize the essential acid phenylalinine, but that's a rare condition, and I'm not sure how it's treated.

borntobefine 06-06-2009 03:14 AM

I took L-Tyrosine but never noticed a difference. St.John's Wort also helped but made me a little queasy. I take 5-HTP and it seems to regulate my moods and help me sleep.

mizmizzy 06-06-2009 10:49 AM

I have heard st.john's wort helps as well but usually you have to go to a vitamin store to find it. At least around here the local stores don't carry it. I still need to pick that up and try it one of these days. I know nothing of Tyrosine but I am curious to so I will follow this thread to see what else anyone has to say about it =)

Platinum 06-07-2009 08:04 PM

K, I went and bought it at the local GNC...

Betony: That's a good point. I took a Nutrition class a few years back and remember something like that. Well, I'm goin to try it at least since I have 30 day supply so if I don't notice anything diff then I won't buy it again. Also on the full amino acid needs, I don't know much about non-essential amino acids like Tyrosine so I'll do some more research over the next couple weeks. I eat an egg almost everyday for breakfast or a hard boiled one with a salad for lunch. So I usually get that 1 complete protein a day, besides the other protein sources I eat. I think I do well on protein intake so I don't think I will have a deficiency in that respect. I also am thinking of taking a protein shake on days I strength train, so I'll be sure whichever kind I buy doesn't have more of the tyrosine in it.

Born & miz: I didn't like St. John's Wort when I tried it 7-8yrs ago... so I don't think I'll try it again. But thanx for the mention of 5-HTP, I looked that up and it seems that is one that helps with the production of Serotonin. I'm going to try this route with the Tyrosine since it helps with the production of dopamine, epinephrine & norepinephrine. (supposedly) And I'm not planning on taking it long term...

This is from the article I linked to:

But if supplements are required at times of particular stress or increased energy requirement; tyrosine, like other single amino acids, is best taken on an empty stomach to ensure maximum absorption. As with other single amino supplements, however, these should not be taken in this way in the long term as this may risk the creation of nutritional imbalances. Like all other nutrients in the body, tyrosine can only do its work properly if the body is fully nourished in all other respects. When supplementing with tyrosine, however, it appears particularly important to ensure that generous supplies of vitamins B6 and C are present.

So I will keep that in mind. And I will repost after a 2-3 weeks to tell ya all how it's going. I am starting it tomorrow. Since I have to take it 1 hr before a meal and I read not to take it after 3pm if you have problems falling asleep. I always have problems falling asleep! So I will try to take it before breakfast, if I remember to take it ASAP in the AM, or lunch! because I can't wait more than an hour to eat breakfast after I wake up else I get famished.

Platinum 06-07-2009 09:22 PM

just found this at bulk nutritions website

Certain supplements may improve the results from tyrosine supplementation, depending on the purpose it is being used for. Vitamin B6 is sometimes recommended because it is involved in the conversion of tyrosine into dopamine, although there is not yet scientific support for the contention that it will increase the effects of tyrosine supplementation. Tyrosine is commonly used along with D,L-phenylalanine for a stimulant and antidepressant effect. The combination of tyrosine with 5-HTP may also be useful for relieving depression. Finally, tyrosine may also be used to potentiate the appetite suppressing effects of ephedrine or other stimulants.

hmm.. used with 5HTP.... maybe I'll have to try both. I think I'll do 30days just the Tyrosine and then try 30 days with 5-HTP. I'm also taking the citrulline malate & CoQ10 for more energy. In the mean time, I'll be watching my diet & faithfully exercising as well.

geoblewis 06-15-2009 11:02 AM

I'm interested in what differences you experience from taking the tyrosine because I just started taking it last week to help manage situational depression. But I've also had to deal with clinical depression all my life.

(By the way, you really did have a great counselor! What a beautiful way to explain it all to you. It took me years to come to that discovery all on my own.)

I'm also taking SAMe for osteoarthritis and depression. I take that first thing in the morning and it also gives me an energy boost throughout the day.

Georgia

Leenie 06-15-2009 12:35 PM

Talk to your doctor before starting any medication :hug: these sorts of claims scare me.

Leenie