Strange sugar story

• On Saturday I ate a lot of sugar. I'm not sure what my calories were, but that happens sometimes on holidays. I like me some carbs, but sugar and corn syrup really don't appeal most days. I spent the evening sitting between a bowl of fresh fruit and jelly beans. I didn't get any kind of sugar high or anything, I wasn't jumping off the walls, but that evening when the sugar was running out, I felt the weight of the world on my shoulders. I've felt worse in the past, but I was definately confused about it. After all, it was a decent day. I wasn't feeling any kind of guilt over the sugar or anything like that. Just really depressed. It carried over a little into Sunday, but I think by then I was more stuck in a blue mood than coming off the sugar.

Anyway, I thought that was strange and wanted to share, in case anyone else has had similar experiences.
  • Sometimes when I eat high sugar or high fat foods I get very tired afterwards. And I also have found that eating better puts me in a better mood, which means I was probably a little crankier eating the bad stuff and didn't even realize it.

I think it's just how your body reacts to infusions of certain foods or ingredients.
  • What's interesting to me is how I could not notice these kinds of things before - because my eating was so bad. It takes, at least for me, eating well and living well, and then I can notice how different foods affect me.
  • Bottom line: Sugar is a drug. There has been a growing body of studies that has proved this with mice. I have come to terms with my sugar addiction through Kathleen DesMaisons Potatoes Not Prozac program. If you want to know more about it, go to www.radiantrecovery.com.

When you eat refined sugar or any sugar really, your blood sugar rises and then subsequently crashes...leaving you tired and cranky and looking for more carbs. I have suffered for all of my 38 years. Migraines, brain fog, irritability, and binges... I have been working the program now for about 9 months. It is a miracle, I have to stay vigilant with my program and when I do I feel the results... I am now trying to work on the pounds that I gained while I was taking medication and finding the balance of calories that I need to lose weight and still stay safe with my program which is a a bit of an extra challenge...not to mention pushing 40... blech...

So anyway! Yes! Sugar will affect you in all those ways plus more and if you are addicted you are going to have to treat it like that and find a program that works for you, whether it be Radiant Recovery or something else.

I feel for you so much...

Raven
  • Even salt has been shown to improve your mood, even if it's just a little. I've never thought of myself as addicted to sugar (just caffine). So long as I'm in a dieting frame of mind, I can easily walk past a candy bowl.

I'm still not exactly eating well, just a little better. Certainly not the amounts of candy I would have as a child. I don't even like doughnuts anymore! Blech! They make them too sweet now! I do wonder how much of my past depression is because of sugar problems. Oh well, water under the bridge.