Depression due to not enough fat in diet?

• I've been receiving treatment for depression, anxiety, and insomnia since June 2007. That treatment has included many medications/doses and counseling. After about a year of counseling and adjusting meds, I was feeling much better. My counselor and I agreed that I didn't really need the counseling anymore, and I was getting along fine.

I joined Weight Watchers last October and my diet changed pretty drastically. I used to eat fast food at least 5 times a week and drink quite a bit of alcohol. I'm now eating much healthier and only drinking occasionally. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. I've even lost about 40 pounds!

However, for some reason that I can't explain, I've been feeling horrible. I don't sleep well, I'm completely exhausted all the time, I have no motivation to do anything, and I often find that I can't articulate arguments (which is a problem since I basically write and reason for a living). I've started crying in my office again, which was the big motivator for me to seek help in the first place. Right now, my job is actually in jeopardy due to my depression issues.

I've had tons of tests run by my family doctor, and there's nothing physically wrong with me (besides my obesity, which I'm working on). I've also been analyzing my nutritional intake, and I noticed that my daily fat intake is much lower than FDA recommendations. During this month, I haven't gotten more than 15% of my daily calories from fat in any given day, but most recommendations I've seen suggest getting 30% of calories from "good fats."

Has anyone seen a low-fat diet have such a negative effect on a person's mood? This isn't even an ultra low-fat diet, it's just a product of eating low-fat foods instead of fast food. I know I need to see my psychiatrist and not just post questions online, but my appointment is two weeks away. Does anyone have any words of wisdom?
  • You could always boost your fat intake to FDA recommendations. I would do it through avacado, olive oils, high quality dark chocolates and raw almonds. In other words, the good fats. I would take the calories from my daily calorie intake to keep you in your range. Please let us know how it's going.
  • Jen, I think it could be too little fat in your diet. I am on a low starch/no sugar plan, and I get extremely grumpy and scattered if I don't contrast that low carbohydrate menu with a lot of fat. It's like having PMS all the time for me, I can't think straight, I get headaches, I'm extremely emotional...So I've stopped eating so much lean chicken, and started eating a little more red meat & nuts, and I use real butter or olive oil to cook with.

I've also had to adjust my carbs up, because I can't sleep when I have too few carbs. Of course, I'm still very low carb, but adding in an additional 10 grams a day made a difference for me.
  • Take a fish oil supplement -- or anything with Omega-3s, really. That should do the trick. And yes, if you don't get enough healthy fats in your diet it can definitely affect your mood.
  • Low Omega-3 intake specifically has been studied and linked with depression.

http://www.mcmanweb.com/omega3.html
  • This article is not directly related to depression, but a lack of omega-3s can also lead to a host of other ills. Please make sure you eat enough healthy fats, especially omega-3s.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29104695/
  • I was prescribed Lithium because my moods were just out of control, frustration, irritability, etc.... didn't want to take it...

I met with a Neuronutritionist. She recommend that i start taking a good fishoil or flax seed oil supplement. 2000 mg a day, 1 -1000 mg in am, and 1-1000 mg in pm. Also when you are sauting veggies or however you cook them, put a tablespoon of good extra virgin olive oil on them. If you have salad, put 1 tablespoon olive oil on it. Have 2-3 tablespoons a day.

I would recommend you try the combo of the olive oil and fish oil or flax oil, for 3 weeks, see if you notice a differance.

My moods are doing much better, and food tastes better with some olive oil.

Our brains are like 60% fat, and they need fat, but they need good fat.

Look at the ingredients of your food, try to cut out sugar where you can, and high fructose corn syrup...sugar plays a big roll in moods...and blood sugar fluctuations that we all can have.

"Sugar Blues" is a book that is very interesting.

If you like the idea of natural stuff........you can also take a B complex vitamin-2-3x a day, they are great for helping with moods, and also can help with Triglycerides. A good multi vitamin daily would be helpful also.

The neuronutritionist is planning on putting me on SamE-we'll see how that goes.
  • Quote: Our brains are like 60% fat, and they need fat, but they need good fat.
    That explains it !!

I totally agree with the fish oils being good for you in so many ways.