Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:51 PM   #1  
New "CHICK" in town....

S/C/G: Current 203/Goal 150

Height: 5'3 1/2

Default Gastric and Depression

About 5 years ago I had a Gastric Bypass and lost 160 lbs. I maintained that weight up until 2008. Many things led to me breaking my diet and gaining 30 lbs.

Including my cousin being murdered, being hospitalized for 5 days in the ICU due to my Hemoglobin count being 3.3 , losing my job, my home flooding (causing me to sleep on an airmatress for almost 2 months with my sons and hubby) and catching a rare parasite that caused me to be deathly ill for over 2 weeks before they FINALLY figured out what was going on (I got it from SOMEHOW ingesting flood water!)!!

It seems as though I couldn't control ANYTHING going on around me and as I am an emotional eater I went right back into bad habits and comfort foods! Now 30 lbs heavier I am so FRUSTRATED with myself that I allowed this to happen! I am definately not one that would like to get back up to 330 lbs.....

I am TRYING to get myself back on the saddle and I am finding it SUPER hard! Any suggestions, words of wisdom, or advise anyone would like to give I'd LOVE to hear it!
MrsPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:37 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

to 3FC's

Wow, you've gone through so much and yet you've managed to keep so much of your weight off... thats not easy. Why is it that habbits are so hard to break but it seems in seconds they can return, its just not fair.

What I would suggest is talk to your doctor about depression or what ever else you might be feeling. Some times just telling them can make it feel like the weight of the world is off your shoulders. Second I would talk to the girls over in the Weight Loss Surgery board... they are awesome !!!! I know a few of them are going through some really tough times right now and they might be able to share/connect with you.

I'm so glad you found us, this is really a great place for support.

again.

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #3  
New "CHICK" in town....

S/C/G: Current 203/Goal 150

Height: 5'3 1/2

Problem is my surgeon has since retired... I went through Barix Clinics (formally Bariatric Treatment Centers) maybe I will look up a support group and attend! It couldn't hurt! I will look for the other GB patients! Thanks!
MrsPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #4  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

It sounds like you've been through a lot! But, it also sounds like you are aware that emotional eating brought you to a weight you don't want and I imagine that being mindful and aware of the tendency toward emotional eating might just help prevent you from staying in those bad habits.

I'm also an emotional eater and I've been through a tough year (not in the same way as you, but tough in my own life) and gained a bunch of weight. I'm in the process of trying to lose it now, but finding it really difficult to avoid the bad habits. On my more successful days/weeks, I find that focusing on something pleasant, but healthful, when I'm feeling low helps sometimes. But, the worst is the feeling of acknowledging how far I've let myself go. But, dwelling on the mistakes that have brought me here has been more of a deterrent than a motivator. If at all possible, I'd suggest focusing on your goal in positive ways instead of focusing on how you got to a size you didn't want to be.

Not sure if my advice is helpful, but I definitely sympathize with your situation as I'm in a similar one myself. So, you're not alone.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote