Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 12:59 PM   #16  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Dentrassi!

Good for you walking this weekend! I know... it's so hard to get going.
Are you serious!? Two c-sections? Me too!! You should see my lower stomach. It looks like a wet paper bag. Blah. I can't stand to look at myself.
My first baby was an emergency c-section. It was very frightening. And yes, I admit... I had a choice for the second birth and I CHICKENED OUT! Please hold the criticism, everyone. I've already had to listen to plenty.
The next person to tell me that I should have gone "natural" for the second delivery is going to get a sock in the eye.

Well, my parents now know the full story about my daughter. It sort of got dragged out of me, and I'm glad of it now. Hopefully I won't have to be a "dumpster" anymore. Although this morning, my mother said to me, "I hope you're not going to tell anyone else about this, dear." One little sentence, and she ruined my entire day. I should have told her that she's the last one to know. I've already told all of my good nurturing friends about it (including you, Dentrassi... thank you)... I need the support, right?

I'm going to check out the 40+. Thank you! I; too, need a kick in the butt right now.

Oh, poor little DS#2! How trying for you having to protect him from our messy world. It's difficult enough for US to have to listen to it all. As if he doesn't have enough to worry about... it's heartbreaking.
Does he still go for therapy? If so, how often does he go? We're looking for another psychiatrist for our daughter. The first one is leaving for another job, and frankly, I thought he was a fool.
I keep thinking that this problem is going to go away (wishful thinking, no doubt), but yesterday my daughter had a "rough" evening. I suppose that's sort of a good thing... it's keeping us on our toes.

I'm sorry... I've dumped on you today. I'm glad you joined us in Alternachicks, too. And of course, anyone is more than welcome to join Dentrassi and I here.

take care, and talk to you soon! Get out there and walk!
ellis

ps I just walked with a friend for an hour and I'm going biking tonight! (and yes, I'm starving )
Old 04-16-2002, 07:08 PM   #17  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HI ELLIS!!

It really annoys me when people tell you what you should or shouldn't do!! I tried to go natural with #2, but couldn't. I had twice the normal amniotic fluid, and when contractions started they were completely ineffectual because of how stretched out my uterus was. Imagine it-I'm 4' 11", and very short waisted. #2 was 9lb. 1/2 oz, and I had 8 liters of amniotic fluid in there. Needless to say, EVERYTHING stuck out at the front. My belly button even blew!! (It USED to be an inny!!) People were saying I should make a prop with a wheel on the bottom to prop my stomache up with!! I had people telling me I should have gone natural too. Sometimes it just doesn't work!! I also had people telling me the boys wouldn't spit up so much if I would breastfeed instead of using formula. Only problem was...I WAS BREASTFEEDING!!!!! Moral of the story is we have to do what is best for ourselves and our loved ones.

I'm glad you told your Mom. Hopefully she will be helpful about it. I would have found her commentary annoying too!!

DS#2 goes once a month. It is not really enough, but it is what my medical program covers. The person he sees is GREAT, though, and for a while he set up a group for kids who were having the same problems at school. THAT he could go to once a week (for 8 weeks). He is telling us more when things bother him, and that really helps. It is hard to get anywhere when he just acts out because he had a bad day at school.

I'm sorry you had a rough night with your daughter. I understand completely. You don't want to see your kids hurt that much. It is very painful. As I told you before, it has been very up and down here, and unfortunately you will probably have to face that too. At least she let you see that she was having a rough time rather than pushing it down.

You are NOT dumping on me!!! I'm glad that we have been able to share our experiences here. It helps to see I'm not alone, and we can give each other ideas and encouragement.

Got out and walked today, but it felt difficult in this humidity.
You did great!! a walk AND bike riding. My walks are wimpy right now, but I know if I keep it up they will get longer and faster. I was THIRSTY when I got back!!
Old 04-17-2002, 08:16 AM   #18  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Hi

Hi Ellis,

Listen, don't let what other people say bother you. I also had a C section.....let me tell you, I had a rough time in the hospital. The doctor from day one of my pregnancy said how do you want to have the baby...I said C....Me personally didn't want to have to go thru the labor pains lol, and if people don't like it TOUGH TITTY SAID THE KITTY BUT THE MILK'S STILL GOOD !!!!!

Anyway, twards the end my blood pressure started to get a little high, so they decided to induce me......okay fine !! now mind you my doctor had every intentions of me having that baby natural. So I said to her from the beginning.....lets just do a C...don't make me go thru unnecessary agony. Well 3 days of them trying to induce me didn't work.......FINALLY they said okay we will do a C section.....HORRAY !!!!!!!. They tried to give me an epidoral....HAAAAAAAA big joke, I told them I had a spinal disease and they wouldn't be able to do it but NO they had to poke me in the back 10 times.. I kept saying knock me the frig out...Finally they did.....well my daughter was 3 weeks early and 9 lbs. Phewww.

Bottom line !!!!!!!!! you do what is good for YOU and I hate to say it this way but **** everyone else. Nobody is in your shoes. You did good !!!

Okay enough of this.
Have a wonderful day !!!!!!!!
Love Leens
Old 04-17-2002, 09:33 AM   #19  

Hi Den and Leens!

Leens, you're a dear to leap in and be supportive. I just love this site. Thank you.
What horror stories we all have.
I only dilated 1.5 cm after 9 hours of hard labour. The cord was wrapped around my daughter's neck, she was in fetal distress, and my blood pressure was right up there. Very messy. I was so relieved to have that C-section! She was little... 5 pounds 14 oz.
My doctor felt that there was a good possibility that my second delivery would be similar trauma-wise. I was really frightened the first time... I'm so glad I opted for the c-section for the 2nd delivery. I was shaking during the entire operation. My son weighed 9 pounds. When I waddled into the operating room the second time, the "cutting crew" said, "There's no way she'd have this one naturally." Phew! Made the right choice!
And while I was in there, I had my tubes tied... convinced that one more pregnancy would be the cause of my death.

Oh, Dentrassi... all that fluid.!! My belly button blew, too. I couldn't believe it... I used to look at pregnant women with their belly buttons sticking out and think, "Oh, that is SO DISGUSTING! That will NEVER happen to me!" Mine's gone back in, but it's no longer a thing of beauty.
And I know what you mean about the prop. Gaining 80 pounds for my second pregnancy... I could barely walk in the last month. Oh, I can almost feel it now. And something weird happened as a result... it's not a pinched nerve, but I can't remember the correct name. I get this sharp pain in my butt, and then my left leg seizes up. Terribly embarrassing when I'm out in public. I know it'll be better once I get some weight off.

Did you like breastfeeding? I LOVED IT! I nursed my daughter for a year, and my son for two years. (he was my last baby, and I was so guilt-ridden for not wanting him...)

Good walking! Are you drinking lots of water? I find I'm really dehydrated in the mornings, and have to have a couple of glasses as soon as I get up.

Hmmm, I know what you mean... I can't tell if my daughter is simply cranky because she has to go to school (natural reaction) or if it's something rooted deeper. I'm trying to get her to understand that I can't read her mind, and that she has to express herself more. I used to think people could read MY MIND and know when I was feeling bad.

Get out there and walk! Leens, I can't remember what you're doing... are you walking, too?

talk care... talk soon
ellis

ps Leens... I could be wrong, but I suspect that we share the same first name.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:10 AM   #20  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Again,

Well I'm not really on any kind of diet, just watching my carbs and trying to make good choices.

I use to weigh 300 lbs.......I lost 150 lbs about 14 years ago and then in the past 4 years, I've managed to gain 70 back . My older sister died suddenly and I got very depressed, I just recently been put on Zoloft. I feel better but my hunger is still there, so I'm trying to control it and get back into the groove of losing weight. Right now I'm not doing any exercise but with the warm weather, I plan on putting my daughter in the carriage and going for walks.

What plans are you on ?

Do we share the same name? Mine is Eileen (Leens) actually on this site I am called Leenie but for some reason I couldn't post with that name..I think I registered and forgot the password

TTYL, Love Leens
Old 04-17-2002, 10:03 PM   #21  

Hi Leens!! Hi Ellis!!

I didn't get my exercise in today. Work, music lessons, dinner, then I fell asleep on the couch!!

Leens-Too bad that you gained weight back, but at least you stopped before you gained it all back. Every time I have lost weight I have regained all of it plus more. That is part of the reason I'm trying to approach things differently this time. Slow and steady, and searching for something that I can stick to for life. OF COURSE something like your sister's death would knock you for a loop. It would anyone. I had problems with blood pressure during my first pregnancy. Same deal, they tried to induce, it didn't work.

Ellis-YES!! I liked breastfeeding! I breastfed both of them for about a year. Seemed like they weaned themselves as I added in solids. #1 wanted a "comfort feeding" for quite a while, but #2 quit cold turkey!! So suddenly, in fact, that there was some discomfort while the milk dried up. #2 was a stinker. In the middle of a feeding if he heard a noise he would whip his head around, taking my nipple with him!! OUCH!!!! Both of mine were big. I don't think I could have delivered naturally even without the problems!! I'm sorry about the nerve thing. That sounds horrible.

Talk to you both later!!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:26 AM   #22  

Hi Den, hi Leens!

Leens, I'm so sorry about your sister. Sisters can be pretty darned special... I don't know what I'd do if I lost mine. I know you'll never get over losing her, but are you able to start "dealing" with it, or is still incapacitating you? Often the people around us don't realize that we're still hurting... even after a year or so.

How old is your daughter? What a life, eh? ... riding in a carriage!
Wouldn't it be lovely if someone pushed US around? (okay, maybe not... could be a wheelchair )

I did WW several years ago and did really well until I had our second child. I started WW again before Christmas and lost 8 pounds, but I had a depressing winter, slept a lot, gained it back (plus more I think), and have quit for now. I'm exercising again... some walking and biking. And I'm eating like a pig. Every morning I start off well, but by mid-afternoon I'm back in full swing... eating like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully the exercising will kick in soon and I'll start feeling more like cutting back on the food.

Dentrassi, we've got some new neighbours, and they're real "granola" types in their 50's with 3 teens. I was really surprised when the mother said to me, "I can't believe these people that breastfeed their children for 3 months or longer!" She was a little embarrassed when I relayed to her the length of time that I did it. People are funny.
Oh, #2 whipping his head around like that! Ouch!! I recall #1 doing that. I was sure they were going to be ripped right off. My #2 breastfed every hour for the first few months. My nipples were cracked and bleeding, and I cried and cried. My husband just about went out of his mind trying to convince me to get some formula, BUT I REMAINED FIRM. I was not going to deprive my poor unwanted child!! It seems to have worked, too. He has no clue that I didn't want him... he's completely in love with me and me with him.

It's hot again. My arms... you should see my arms... they are huge, white, jiggly, dimply... I'm wearing a black t-shirt and a big loose thing that's supposed to disguise the fat, but is merely making me look HUGE!
If only you two didn't live so far away... my closest friend is model thin, and I HATE being seen in public with her!

Leens, how the weather in NJ? Den, are you still hot there?

take care... talk soon...
ellis
Old 04-18-2002, 10:30 AM   #23  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Hi Girls,

Yes its very hot today. Ellis I understand about the big black shirts and trying to hide yourself...the other day I wore a dress to work and my Mother told me I looked huge in it. I said MOM I AM HUGE....I mean there's only so much you can hide or can't hide lol.

My daughter will be 8 months on Monday the 22nd. Like every parent, she's the light of my life. Grandma watches her so I can work but I'm really happy I have her rather than a stranger. I would die giving her to someone I know wouldn't take as good of care of her as my Mom does.

You know people have to much to say. Breastfeeding is natural and beautiful......shoot what did they do before formula and bottles...if a woman couldn't breastfeed they found one that could. Usually a neighbor or relative. Sheeeeeeeeeh. The only thing I found hard was I was watching a TV show and the mother was breastfeeding her 5 year old....now thats a bit much for me...(my opinion).

Boy am I lazy today, I have lots of stuff to do here at work but love chatting with you guys. Better Run !!

TTYL, Love Leens
Old 04-18-2002, 11:09 PM   #24  

HIYA!!!

I understand trying to cover up the fat. I do it too!!! Don't want ANYTHING body skimming-hate the way it looks!!

Yes, it is still hot here. Supposedly we are getting thunderstorms tonight, and tomorrow the high will be 74. I hope so!! We set a record a few days ago (86!!). I like it COOL, it is just easier to move around and I'm less crabby.

Leens- we have a weird 22 thing going on in my family!! Both of my kids, my sister, my sister in law, my mother in law, 3 out of 5 of my cousins' kids, and I were all born on the 22nd of some month or another!! DH was born on the 24th, which I consider perverse!!!

Ellis-My Mom breastfed too, so she didn't criticize. She DID say, though, that the kids probably spat up so much because my milk was richer and creamier!!! (Thanks for the support Mom, but breast milk is breast milk!!!)

GOOD NIGHT!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 07:54 AM   #25  

hey girls,

We had rain last night, and it's cooler today! I was awakened at 1:30 this mornng to the nearby sound of hammering. Convinced it was my daughter doing herself some "damage", I leapt out of bed. It was our neighbour who's been reroofing our rear attic room. He was up on the roof hammering down a tarp to keep the rain out. Curses. Will I never get a good nights sleep?

I remember reading about a women who always wore tight, form-fitting clothes around the house. She was so disgusted with herself everytime she'd catch a glimpse of herself in a mirror, that she lost weight relatively quickly. I thought about trying it, but there's always someone coming in and out of the house or some stranger banging on the door.

Leens, how nice having your mother stay with your daughter. She's the next best thing to you.
Nice comment from your mom... I know THAT one!
I often think it would be better; instead of taking individual measurements of hips, waste, etc, to wrap the tape measure right around our entire body at the chest/mid-arm area. Including the fat arms. After all, I think THAT'S the worst thing... the amount of space our entire body is taking up. When I catch a glimpse of myself from behind, I realize that I look like Frankenstein or a football player. SOLID.

Dentrassi, could you get congress or whoever to change your entire system to metric? We've got a high of 25 today, and a low of 0. And tomorrow, a high of 10 and low of 0. I'm quite excited. I HATE THE HEAT!!
What are you getting DH for his birthday? My DH's birthday is close to Christmas, and he rarely gets a birthday gift. This year, I surprised him with a new drum set. It put us in the poor-house for months (okay, we're ALWAYS in the poor-house ), but it was worth it... he's been wanting a new one for years. For the next 10 years, he'll be getting nothing.

have a wonderful day... I hope you're both mentally; if not physically, fit.

ellis
Old 04-19-2002, 09:11 AM   #26  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Well its Friday..Yahooooooooo !

Ellis, mentally and/or physically fit...ummmmm nope neither
I really do look like this -> lol

I have a ton of work to do, been slacking off all week since the boss isn't here, now push comes to shove and I gotta get going here lol.

Both of you have a WONDERFUL weekend, and I'll check back on Monday.....boss will be back then

Love, Leens - >
Old 04-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #27  

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

I bought him a book about George Harrison, and an Eeyore!! He loves Eeyore, so whenever i find a good one (ie not happy!!) I get it for him. One year i got him an Eeyore backpack on e-Bay. Imagine a 6 ft tall man with Dark hair down to his shoulder blades, and a goatee, passing papers back to his students out of an Eeyore backpack!!! That's my sweetie!!

It has started to cool off here, but tomorrow is supposed to be a lot cooler-YEA!!!!

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND BOTH OF YOU!!!!!!!

p.s.-we should go metric, we are probably the only country that hasn't!!!
Old 04-21-2002, 07:22 AM   #28  

Oh, my... it's Sunday already.
Hello Dentrassi and Leens!

I'm feeling rather crappy this weekend, and haven't been on the computer much. My 6 year-old is driving me right up the wall! He's just being his usual charming, outgoing, exacting self. I guess I'm a little (lot) stressed trying to nurture my daughter. I think I need a really long nap. And perhaps a weeks holiday in bed with a stack of books. And some chips. And some chocolate bars.

Leens, I hope you get all of your work done. I almost envy you your job.

Den, I love your gift choices... Eeyore... he's lovely. I used to have a large Eeyore that my grandmother brought me from England. It had a zippered bottom to store pyjamas in.

I hate getting rid of my childhood teddies and things. I've got a lot of them tucked away, and I still have a doll that I've had since I was 2. She's in very rough shape, and before Christmas I had a big clean-up, and decided it was time for "Susie" to GO. sob. I put her into a plastic bag... tried not to think about it... and 5 minutes later, I thought, "My God, Susie can't breath in that plastic bag!" Needless to say, I've still got Susie. They'll just have to bury me with her.

My goodness, Dentrassi... your husband is tall! Comparatively. How long have you been married?
Leens, how are you finding the Zoloft? I have a couple of friends who've tried it, and they immediately became dizzy, ill, etc. But I've heard it works really well for others...

It's soooo beautiful out! Quite cool and very sunny.
have a lovely day, girls... ellis
Old 04-21-2002, 03:00 PM   #29  

HI ELLIS AND LEENS!!

Ellis-I'm sorry you are feeling bad. I know it is sometimes hard to deal with the kids. Sometimes I feel like I just can't listen to any more!!! Sometimes it feels like you only have so much to give, and when you are through with the one who is having troubles, you feel like, "I'm DONE, It is PAST closing time, come back TOMORROW!!" The problem is, you can't really say that to your kids!! Then, (if you are anything like me) you feel guilty, which just makes it worse. Can you take time out for a long hot bath with those nice soaps of yours? AND a book, maybe? Hubby and I have been married for 20 years (21 in August)!! I look at "kids" in their early twenties and think they are too young to make those kinds of decisions, but we did!! I never thought I'd get married that young (if at all), but just met the right person and the rest was history!! DH was looking over my shoulder and says, "yaw-hunh." Which I HOPE is his way of agreeing!!! My parents still have my "killy-kat" at their house, believe it or not!! We have all of DH's stuffed animals here though. He is a VERY sentimental person. Probably more than me!!!

Leens-Hope things aren't too painful with the boss back!!!

I'll check in tomorrow....
Old 04-22-2002, 08:06 AM   #30  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Good Monday Morning All,

I can tell this is going to be a rough week. Its raining like crazy out, I get the baby all ready, do everything I need to do this morning, drive the baby to my mom's and I forget to put my coat on <-- or what? So I borrowed my mom's jacket which is of course to small but at least it covers my arms haaaaaaaaaaa !! not a pretty picture

Ellis, sorry to hear your weekend wasn't up to snuf. Hope your week is better and your feeling better. My boss is pretty nice but you know its much better when they aren't here . The Zoloft is really making a difference (I think). I've had no side effects at all, which I'm really greatful for. In the beginning it made me a little bit jittery but that went away. The first few day's I was on it I was talking 90 mph I'm much better now.

Dentrassi, WOW 20+ years - YOU GO GIRL! its so nice to see marriages that last long and even longer...Like Life Time '''''' I've been married for 12+ years, and I love my hubby more today than yesterday and I have one 8 month old daughter and a great doggie. I couldn't be more Blessed, and I'm so greatful for everything I have. Today, people don't marry for the long term, its very sad but I tell you I wouldn't want to be single today, there is just to much out there....to crazy for this home body.

Okay Ladies, have a wonderful day and enjoy.

TTYL, Love, Leens
Closed Thread