Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:33 PM   #1  

Default Cutting

K I'm taking the advice to post a message. I first began dealing with depression in my junior high years, when adolescence is a tough thing to deal with. I had a very low self-esteem and that's when I first began thinking about suicide. By the time I reached my freshman and sophomore years in high school, I had written my "goodbye world" note and perched out on the window ledge of our high rise apartment. Most of the times, my suicidal thoughts would come at utterly random moments. Nothing would necessarily provoke my depression, I would just fall into these huge seemingly endless pits of pain. I started cutting my wrists last year cos the physical pain seemed to snap me outta my emotional emptiness. Then the eating disorders came. I've worked out a lot with friends and now I only cut when I'm really upset - I keep a knife in my nightstand just in case. And my eating disorders have transformed into an obsession with dieting and exercise. I'm not too concerned with my suicidal tendencies but I'm more concerned about getting through my food issues and twisted body-image stuff. Well...that's my story and I guess it doesn't really have an ending yet. I just turned 18 last month and I'm hoping that means I may mature outta these depression periods.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:34 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Neiko

Please don't think you have to handle this all by yourself. My advice to you is go talk to a professional. But first talk to your parents, then see a doctor, there are wonderful medications out there that can help you, you do not need to suffer this alone.

Keep us posted okay !!
Love Leens
Old 03-29-2002, 08:11 PM   #3  

Adolescence sucks big time. I too had an awful time in my teens. But life does get better. It is really important that you pick an adult you trust and talk to them about the cutting and eating disorder stuff. It is great you have supportive friends, but it sounds like you may need the help of a professional mental health person. You are suffering needlessly. Please post and let me know you talked to someone!
Old 03-29-2002, 11:13 PM   #4  

Default Depression stuff

Hi, Nikeo

My depression started in when i was about 16, it never went away. I just thought I was nuts or something. I didn't go to a doctor out of embarassment till my mid 20's. By this time it ruined the relationship I was in. I went to a family doctor and he helped me out with medicine that day. It was a God send! It's not a "happy pill" though, More of a "normal pill"

All the meds have side effects though and some will work on one person and not on anouther, sometimes it's trial and error till you find the right medicine.

I've talked to a lot of people with depression online in chat channels. I've heard many people mention cutting the same way you do. Almost all of these people were diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. You really need to find out what's going on, so you can feel better about yourself. You deserve it! Don't waste years of your life by putting it off like I did.

I've tried all the natural things I could try and none of them worked. One comment I get sick of is "pills are bad, heal yourself" It's Bull (at least for me) I can't force my body to create extra chemicals it needs. Sure, some dietary choices are better than others but in my trails and errors with diet and excercise nothing has helped but my medicine.

Hang in there, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:30 PM   #5  

Default My friend!

Please get ourself to a doctor. You have your whole life ahead of you and I'd like to know that you will live it to the fullest. With a little help, you will be fine. All the problems that you're experiencing can be treated with a little medication. Take care now and God bless.
Old 04-01-2002, 04:53 PM   #6  

Hi:
I have had depressions since I was a little girl and I'm 59 years old now. About 6 years ago my doctor tried me on anti-depressants. It took a lot of expimenting but I finally found the right pill. I take exffector and it has changed my world. A couple of weeks ago I tried coming off of them and in a couple of days I was right back to where I was before I started taking them. My husband couldn't believe the change in me.

My Doctor told me that I would probably need them for the rest of my life. Thank God they have something for me because I thought I was nuts for years.

Taking medication for depression is not something to be ashamed of of. It is just as necessary as any other disease or condition.

Take care

Georgie
Old 04-01-2002, 09:53 PM   #7  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Neiko, please don't wait to outgrow this. I agree completely with the others on this thread. I have been up and down since adolescence, but never completely depression free. Diabetics need insulin, people with seizure disorders need anti-convulsants, and the vast majority of us suffering from depression need anti-depressants. I am doing MUCH better since starting meds. It is like the world went from black and white to technicolor!! It sounds cliched, but it is true. I waited way too long before going in, because it would get slightly better for a while. BUT IT ALWAYS GOT WORSE AGAIN. You deserve to have a happy life. You are young, and have a lot of life in front of you. ENJOY IT!!
Old 04-03-2002, 12:40 AM   #8  

Hello Neiko,

I'm new to the forums here. I wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I, too, am a self-injurer, I also cut. I think the most important thing is to get help. There's nothing wrong with going to a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I remember being depressed as early as seven years old! It was around that time doctors put me on diet after diet! GRR! I wrote my first suicide note to god at the age of 12. My mother beat me up for it and bought me a book on suicide--highlighting the whole chapter on spoonfeeding yourself to death. My mother did not believe in getting treatment for mental health. She discouraged me from talking about my feelings. It wasn't until I was 25 that I finally sought help. I had started cutting at the age of 24 when I moved out of my parents home. I'll even admit that I've engaged in burning myself intentionally. I have been on antidepressants off and on since I was 25. I will have to take them for the rest of my life. I am currently taking 40 mg Celexa and 150 mg of Seroquel.

I just want you to know that you are NOT alone with this. I still struggle with the urge to cut myself! Also, from the research I've done on cutting, sometimes it does go hand in hand with eating disorders. Eating disorders can be a form of self-injury, just as cutting can be.

*HUGS* and STAY STRONG, Neiko! Sometimes we just have to take it one day at a time!

~~Star

Last edited by AmethystStar; 04-03-2002 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:03 AM   #9  

Default neiko

i love you........
always have and always will....
i'll be there for you no matter what, even if u don't want my help
if u ever need to talk or hug... you know where to find me *
please don't give up on urself baby.... i haven't...
im gonna need u for the rest of my life.... shake this outta you babe *ed picks neiko up and gives her a little shake * mmm it'll take time... everything always takes time... but you'll make it baby.. we'll make it....together if u let me
snuggz*
Old 04-09-2002, 09:03 PM   #10  

Don't worry, you're not alone. Cutting is very common among individuals suffering from eating disorders.

Please follow the others' suggestions and find help now. The sooner, the better.

When I was 18, I thought I had outgrown the desire to cut or burn myself. However, a few years later the feelings returned.

Try substituting the knife with a rubberband. Snap it on your arm & wrist whenever the urges become too strong. This might not be ideal, but it's better than cutting and causing serious injury.
Old 04-10-2002, 09:31 PM   #11  

Unhappy Still stuck

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for everyone who responded with encouragement and suggestions. I haven't replied in a while because not much has seemed to change in my situation and I kinda was in just "absorbent" mode yknow? So I read through all your posts and took them all to heart. I brought up the issue again with my boyfriend (he posted the reply under 'snuggz') and i told my best friend for the first time. In both cases, I let them know that I was worried about it and asked if they thought i should either ignore it, talk to a professional, or take anti-depressants. They both seemed to think ignoring it would eventually make it go away...? They think i'm strong enough to handle it, even though i let them know i was unsure about whether i would make it through moving far away for college. This is exactly what happens when i tell stuff like this - most people don't take me seriously. That's why I don't like telling...i don't know what to do now guys. Just keep hoping that it'll all go away soon? Or that I can handle it on my own? I feel like if i tell my parents, they won't take me seriously as well...
Old 04-10-2002, 11:02 PM   #12  

Angry

Hey Nieko
Well, we all take you very seriously .. cutting is a very emotional response to issues .. and so are the eatting issues. There are many programs that will deal with both of these issues. Seek some assistance .. many times those you love are very scared for you therefore their advise is not always the best. It sounds like you dont think they take your issues seriously .. but my guess is that they do .. but like you, dont really know how to deal with it. Professional help is the way to go .. its confidental and you can tell them anything .. and be taken seriously. It sounds like you know where YOU are at with your own behavioural patterns .. listen to your heart .. its telling you something .. the answer to your question is in your own words.

Take care
Email me if you want to chat more
Laura
Old 04-11-2002, 12:13 PM   #13  

Height: 5'-2"

Hey Neiko

Probably the people who love you don't take you seriously because you always seem strong to them. I had the same problem. And they think that nothing bad can happen to hurt you. They're wrong. You know it, and we know it. All of us here have been where you're at.
You may not believe this, but even though we've never met you, we love you, Neiko. Imagine how much your friends and family love you. They don't want to lose you, sweetie. You're very important to a lot of people.

You can't "pull yourself together". You can fake it, but sooner or later you're going to break. And sure, you may feel good again... briefly. But the bad stuff is certain to come back.
Do you have a family doctor? Or a medical center or a clinic close by? All you have to do is go in and make an appointment. Don't wait until it's too late. Do it today. It's your choice... do you want to live or not?

If I sound blunt it's because I'm afraid for you. I suffered like you for 25 years... since I was 12. I honestly don't know how I've made it this long.
My husband never believed that I was really ill until he came home from work one day five years ago and found my head bleeding. I'd been banging it on the floor. I couldn't stop. And I did it front of my children.
I've been on meds for 5 years, and I finally know what it is to feel "normal". Two weeks ago, my 12 year-old daughter tried to commit suicide. We're getting her professional help. I don't want to lose my daughter. Please, don't let your life go this way, Neiko. It doesn't have to be like this for you.

Before you tell anyone else, go and get professional help. I don't want anyone talking you out of getting help.
You're a strong person, Neiko. Do you hear me? You're strong. You can do it... go and see a doctor, and join us... the survivors.

Don't forget... we love you...
Ellis
Old 04-12-2002, 04:11 PM   #14  

I agree with what everyone else has expressed, and urge you tell someone who will help you.

I imagine it's easier for your friend & boyfriend to ignore it. They probably can't handle the idea of you being hurt or in danger. Depression is also very misunderstood, many people don't realize the seriousness of this behavior.

You need to find someone who understand what you're going through. Your friends are not professionals. Even though they're heart is in the right place, you need more support.
Old 04-13-2002, 03:33 AM   #15  

mmm babe... i wish you didn't think i didn't take you seriously cuz i did... it's more a matter of not knowing what to say than blowing it off and telling you to ignore it... i understand / try to understand that cutting is a HUGE deal and can hurt ppl in the long run.. cuz i've been able to tell with my mom and some of her depression probs.... i think she takes meds behind my back i dunno.. it sounds to me like you want to get some help.. you juss dunno how / and you're a little embarrassed and scared of others' reactions like ur parents... mebe a professional would be the best idea.. i dunno tho... i juss hope that if you move on from this without needing help / meds.. you won't ever have to deal with it and im afraid that if u get on meds you'll need em for the rest of ur life or sumtin... i dunno these are juss things runnign thru my head and i dunno if they're facts or not... whether meds are addictive or not.. mebe some of ur other friends could post some more info on meds that u could take... *muah* im behind you all the way no matter what path you choose...* i love you you're my angel * <-- sorry juss playing aroudn with the smiley's mm im sorry if my words came out unlovingly.. you're everything to me... i would never take your health as something to be unserious about..... i hope you know that cuz i love you so very much....
yours,
me
Closed Thread