Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 08-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/185/100

Height: 5'9

Post Depressed or More

Ok, so, Im wanting to explain whats actually going on with me so that every one can understand me better.... I use to be a psychiatric Nurse looking after all those who is diagnosed with Depression, schizophrenic etc! but the how the heck to do treat your self!?!?!?! I would go to work and pretend nothing is wrong with me, but as soon as i get home i would lock the door behind me and stay in my bedroom untill i had to make supper have a shower or go to work. It got worse where i was shutting people out of my life, worked stoped i was living on my savings, and now I hardly leave the house. All this is due to my weight! Im not sure if i am in the right place to discuss this as I am not diagnosed, however I sure know the symptoms. My weight has alot to do with all this. I sit here and start eating every time i think bout loosing weight and I even try to believe that if I do lose weight I will feel better as well as the depression will slowly begone! All this is emotinal and interfering with my life how can i change this!
obsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235/235/165

Welcome Obsessive, the fact that you are on this website and posting is a step in the right direction. You will find alot of support here. I find it really encouraging hearing other people and knowing that I am not alone hopefully you will too. This is one of the best sites I have been on for support. Know that you are surrounded with other people who understand what you are going through.
Recommitted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi and

Since you are in the medical field it should come as no surprise to you what I'm going to say. IMHO, the first thing I would do is talk to your doctor, only he/she can make a diagnosis for you. You might need meds, you might only need therapy, but thats not for me or anyone else to make that call. I know its hard to make that first step but once you do, and you get the weight of the world off your chest, you'll start feeling better / relief. Its such a vicious cycle, we eat because we are miserable and we are miserable because we eat... doesn't seem fair I think 99% of us here can relate to this feeling.

So, maybe if you see a doctor, talk about whats going on, talk about starting a diet plan (hate diet, more like way of life plan), you'll start to feel better soon.

we really do understand

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:29 AM   #4  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

obsessive!

I can totally relate to how you are feeling and the eating every time I think about my weight. This forum is a great place to help with that, But I also think you should talk to your doctor before you start.

We are all here to support you and celebrate your victories! I hope you will let us know what the doctor says and what plan you are following. Stay in touch. I am sure with the correct medical treatment and a good eating plan, we will be celebrating your first of many accomplished goals very soon!

Good Luck!

D

djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #5  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool Welcome

Hi,

This site is a great place for information, support, ideas and fun. BUT it's not a substitute for sound medical and emotional guidance. Get out from under the porch (as we say in the South), get on the phone and call a professional. Your health is paramount in your living a happier, more productive life...so get your long, tall beautiful self some help.

If it makes you feel better, when I get down to 200, I'm going to feel like a total FOX!!! And are you sure your goal of 100 is reasonable and healthy at 5'9"? Even those wretched supermodels (Sorry, if you are one!) give themselves a few more pounds.

I'll be looking for your posts. Do something fun today!
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/185/100

Height: 5'9

Im not looking for guidence im looking for some sort of advice/support and a bit of a push in the right direction. I also was refering to Kgs not pounds sorry, I have been to the Doctors all they have stated is that Im over weight and being over emotional due to my "weight issue" so to say! Oh well I will try have some fun thanks all....
obsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #7  

Have you really explained to the doctors the extent of your depression - quiting work and not leaving the house is pretty depressed. I see you are in New Zealand so I guess you have the universal health care there. Can you not make and appointment with a psychiatrist on your own since you must know some being a nurse?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #8  
Less Juicey

S/C/G: 246/135

Height: 5'5"

Cool So Sorry...

Obsessive, I'm so sorry. I should've checked to see where you're from before I assumed you were working with pounds. Sometimes I'm so blonde!

Okay...do you like to read? I love to read. In fact, I'd rather read in **** than exercise in heaven. I've been giving myself some support and information (and good entertainment) by doing some reading for a boost. 3FC's home page lists some books that are reviewed on the site. I've read "Confessions of a Carb Queen," 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet," and "Mindless Eating." "Confessions"...is excellent - the story of so many of us - with a positive attitude and written with great heart. "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet" is also terrific. Lots of good stuff going on in this book, but maybe really good for your purposes are clear, real-life, no-nonsense reviews of many popular diets with suggestions and even recipes. It was published because "We're all in it together" and written with obvious love and caring.

"Mindless Eating" is right on target without being too much like a lecture or too "preachy," but it's not nearly as entertaining as the other two.

These books are available from this site, major bookstores right now, and, of course, amazon.com. Or you may be able to borrow them from your library? I'm all about buying my own used copies from Amazon.com. Anyway, just keep telling us what you need from us and we'll do our best. Peace out.
sandyfanny is offline   Reply With Quote