Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 09:56 AM   #1  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Default Yesterday's Doctor Visit

Hi Everyone,

First thank you all for your prayers, well wishes and hugs, it really means alot to me, more than you know.

I went to my doctor yesterday to discuss my depression. Boy was I nervous, scared, excited and upset all at the same time.

Nervous because I thought she wouldn't understand and that I would break down and cry (which I did ALOT). Scared because I never had to do anything like this in my life. Excited because I felt like help is finally on its way and Upset because I knew I had to pour my heart out to this stranger and how hard it was to bring those feeling out AGAIN (when your trying to supress them).

ANYHOO, she was sooooooooo comforting and really made me feel good and not ashamed.

She recommended that I try Zoloft, which I took the first one this morning (so we will see how that goes) and I have to see her in 6 weeks.

If anyone reads this message and is considering going for help, please don't wait as long as I did (4 1/2 years). Its so painful and life is so wonderful and to short to go thru it feeling the way I do (depressed). If your doctor doesn't help you like you think you need help, FIND ANOTHER !!!! Your the only one that truly know's YOU !!! Remember doctors arent God...they are only Practicing Physicians - key word Practicing!

I know that if this drug doesn't help me, my doctor will be there for me to help me find the right one. But most important I (we) have Jesus who will see me thru this.

Huggs and Kisses to each of you !
Love, Leens
Old 03-22-2002, 12:25 AM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Talking

GOOD FOR YOU!!

I waited too long also!! It takes a while for the medication to start working, but it feels good just knowing you did that for yourself, doesn't it? For me, when the medication started working it was like my life went from black and white to technicolor. I would prefer to be able to come off it one day, but I would rather take the medication for life than go back to the way i used to feel!!
Old 03-25-2002, 05:40 PM   #3  

Default Depression/Weight Gain

I would just like to tell Leens, congratulations for taking the first step towards treatment. I take the same medication and have now found out that depression/mental illness runs in families. It took me a long time to understand the genic link. I belong to a group called SOS, Survivors of Sucide. They teach you all the biological reasons this happens. The bottom line is you are not producing enough serotonin.

I, too, have gained a lot of weight from taking antidepressants. I am so glad people are now discussing this issue. I too belonged to WW and felt I was not getting any personal help with my weight problem, considering that you are paying $12 to $15 a week just to get weighed.

But I also have another factor against me not only am I on antidepressants, but also on Prempro (for menopause). I am 48 and started Prempro at age 40. I gained a quick 10 pounds when I started that too.

However, I have now decided Thursday I'm going to find out about a weight loss program at the hospital, it's a free seminar. If I feel that I don't get satisfaction from that, my doctor has the name of a nutritionist that will give you a one on one program based on the medications you are taking and your weakiness. I also have to watch my sodium in take so this might be the program for me. However, that is $140 for all 6-sessions. But when you consider the amount of money you are paying for weight watchers and no personal help. I tried explaining to my ww leader about the medications and really did not get any good advise.
Old 03-25-2002, 07:30 PM   #4  

Default Hey little sis!

If I remember correctly, Zoloft takes awhile to get "going" in your system. Hang in there!
Old 03-26-2002, 08:53 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Default Hey Dee

Dee,

You are right, going for those classes is a great thing you can do for yourself, your worth it !!!

I've just completed my first week on Zoloft 25 mg, I think on thursday it goes up to 50 mg. So far so good. I'm not tired like I thought I would be but then maybe that will happen with the 50 mg? hope not lol.

I'm not worried when it will kick in, I've waited 4 years to get help, a little while longer isn't going to make or break it so to speak lol. Good things are worth waiting for lol.

Have a wonderful day all
love Leens
Old 03-26-2002, 09:49 AM   #6  
Beach Bound Babe

Default Hi there!

Hey there! I am on my fourth week of Zoloft and doing well. I moved up to 50, too...when my sample pack ran out the doctor said I could boost up to 100 or stay on 50 depending how I feel. I haven't gotten tired from it at all...but I do go to bed earlier and sleep better. I don't have trouble getting up in the morning. I don't really notice a whole lot of difference except I am not as tired...but other people notice a difference. I am more talkative, more energetic, and have my sense of humor back...I am looking for more improvement as time goes on and I am having the full effect of the med. I just feel better because my energy is up and that effects everything...

I hope everything will go as well for you as it has for me. Keep your chin up! Hang in there!

Trace
Old 03-26-2002, 12:21 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Trace, ditto on the energy level. I thought it was all in my mind because other folks get tired on Zoloft where I felt more energy. Thanks for the confirmation !!!!

Love Leens
Old 03-26-2002, 03:17 PM   #8  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Seeking help.....

Hello. I don't post very often but was moved to do so on this topic.

I just want to repeat what was said before - if an MD won't listen to you, go to another one!!! I had that problem early on in menopause and I suffered too long needlessly.

Find someone who will listen and with whom you feel comfortable. I had forgotten how important I really am and that I have value. Bad mistake!

Best wishes.
Old 09-02-2002, 01:02 AM   #9  

Default Seeking help

I waited way too long to go on antidepressants---12 years is a long time. Finally I was just tired of being irritable & crabby, sad, crying a lot & gaining & losing weight over those years. After being on antidepressants since last December--in those months after I started to feel better--I stopped pigging out on food. I realized that I could control what I put into my mouth

April
Old 09-02-2002, 07:37 AM   #10  

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum but I relate to all of you on some level. i have had a very difficult year though I am starting to come out of it slowly. I am on Prozac but my doctor may switch me to Wellebutrin to help me quit smoking. I lost 80 pounds lat year and then when the ceiling of my life fell down on me I gained back 30 and trying to lose the 30 again - I have lost 8 pounds so far. My emotional problems come from the feeling that people just don't care about me I am getting better but often feel insecure when talking with people. Sometimes I think I overdo it.
Leens, my doctor told me that Zoloft was the only real proven helper with weight loss. I wanted to use it but it didn't work for me.
I guess I would like to get to know everyone here because it sounds like we have similiar stories and not only do I want to meet friends but I want to be a friend also. So, if there is room I'd love to join. Fondly, Kim My e-mail address is: [email protected] (if anyone uses them here)
Old 09-02-2002, 10:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: H178/S170/140/135

Height: 5'3"

Leens, *s... good for you! What a courageous step.

I thought I was doing well being off Celexa. I've been off it for about 8 weeks now. Doctor's supervision. She's a nice lady, but I don't feel like I'm listened to. Problem is, there is such a shortage of doctors around here you can't even get your name on a waiting list.

I don't know if what I'm feeling is normal? or if it's the depression slipping back. We've had some really BIG problems with our son (going on 20, still at home) and I hope it's just life giving me a "time" here. I just don't know what's a normal down and what's depression. I think I kidded myself far too long before I went on Celexa... how do you tell?
Old 09-02-2002, 08:26 PM   #12  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Judomom, talk to your doctor first !! thats the only advice I could give you. He/she will understand whats happening to you since we are all different.

I had many ups and downs with Zoloft and didn't like the way I felt so I asked my dr. to switch meds, I've been taking 200 mg of Welbutrin for about 2 months now.........feeling steady....

Let us know what the doc says.

HUGGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Leenie
Old 09-03-2002, 08:34 PM   #13  

I am taking Paxil. Anyone else out there take it also?
Closed Thread