Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Default Prozac?

my MD is talking about starting me on Prozac as a means of hunger control/controlling bulimic behaviors.

what has everyone elses experience of Prozac been? weight loss? weight gain? other side effects?
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 AM   #2  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

It induced anorexia and manic, compulsive sexual behavior in 3 people I know.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I took 10 mg for 3 days and have had a problem w/ heart palpatiations every 2 minutes around the clock. Now, it's more like every ten minutes, but I wish I never tried it. Also, it made me have insomnia and I can't seem to get over it. However, I have a close family member and a friend who love it and have had no problems whatsover. Personally, I think it might be wise to start with something natural, such as Valerian Root, unless you have a serious problem with depression that natural remedies won't likely help.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

When I first started taking it I lost weight very quickly. But that wore off very quickly. As for the other side effects..umm..lets just say my very high sex drive took a huge nose dive. I wish it would be the other way around.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I did rather well on Prozac, lost weight and had no problems whatsoever.

The only way to find out if its for you is to try it.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/169/150

Height: 5'8"

I think individual experiences with Prozac vary. I recently stopped taking it after being on it about eight years. During those eight years I gained about 40 pounds and my sex drive went away. I can't swear Prozac had anything to do with this, but I suspect it did. Since I've been off of it my appetite has calmed down and my blood sugar feels more level. I'm also starting to feel somewhat more interested in lovemaking. On the other hand, I'm crying easily (I don't think I cried more than once or twice during the entire time I took Prozac) and I'm feeling very restless, finding it hard to concentrate, and just generally feel rather at loose ends. My plan is to give regular exercise a serious chance to control my depression but if I return to the state I was in prior to medication, I guess I'll just have to be a hungry, sexless, non-crying gal with low blood sugar. Good luck to you and everyone who suffers with depression.
pinkcarnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 378/323/170

Height: 6'0

I'm on 20MG a day, for awhile doc upped me to 40 . That was when I started having what was most likely waking dreams. I'd lay my head down on the pillow and immediately hear my mother calling me, 5 minutes later I'd hear my cell phone rining, or just a loud buzzing like on a game show, sharp and abrupt. Other times I could have sworn to you there was a squirrely rustling around in my pillow. In reality my mother was not calling me, my cellphone did not ring, I was not on a game show and there was no small rodent in my pillow.

Now of course I swore up and down I was dead asleep and awakened to these distractions but the truth is I was probably in that place in between sleep and awake.

Needless to say I'm back down to 20MG.

As for helping with the depression, I don't feel much of a difference at all. I'm also taking Klonopin for OCD and panic attacks and I don't really feel that's working either...but I digress...
Teresa_Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote