Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #1  
Bringin' Sexy Back

S/C/G: 196/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Lightbulb Pssst...wanna know a secret?

Hey Everybody...

I haven't posted in awhile so I hope you still care! I have had a pretty rough couple of weeks. My DH continues his brain cancer chemo treatments five days of the month...this one hit him particularly hard... My sister had to have surgery to remove a cyst on one of her ovaries...non cancerous thank God...then we discoved that my Dad had a tumor in his abdomen and would require surgery...that was one week ago and he is home from the hospital already and doing fabulous...the tumor was 15 pds!!! It had wrapped around his appendix and part of his bladder...let's just say that the man is definitely lucky! I am so grateful that he is feeling okay and my sister is as well. We are now waiting for the pathology back on the tumor which is difficult but we will handle whatever comes at us!
Now, I know this is the depression forum but I fit in here I guess since I am currently on Prozac... I have had emotional eating issues since I was a child...binging specifically...emotional overeating...you name it...well... I found the missing piece of my own puzzle recently and I wanted to share it with you to spread the hope of finding your own missing piece...never give up...I never thought I would find it...I really didn't.
The pieces turned out to be this...Prozac (even though I never in a million years thought it would be), Yoga...I have always received the endorphins from aerobic exercise but Yoga focuses and calms my mind as well, it gives me everything I need to breathe through stress, pain, anger, anything... And just recently I have unlocked the secret to my almost daily headaches...tension... I bought the Elaine Petrone Miracle Ball Method and it unlocked my neck muscles and I haven't had a headache since...I spend a little time in the morning...in the evening before bed...and if I feel a headache trying to come on. The final piece of puzzle was only found within the last 3 days when I bought the book Meditation for Dummies...it has been a miracle in my life. I have suffered from extreme PMS that has just gotten worse and worse in the past year or so. My original dose of Prozac didn't touch it...but the 40mg does a fabulous job...though I still get an occasional flash of anger/rage/tension/ or whatever you want to call it and I got one on Monday...in the previous days I would have went straight to the kitchen and ate everything in sight...instead I went straight upstairs and pulled out my cushions. Twenty mins later I felt calm and in control again...the best part...no desire to use food to feel better because I already did! Now, I had a bit of a recurrence of the mood a little later in the day but I just recentered and did my breathing (I was at the Dr. office or I would have went back to my cushions) and it eased up and didn't come back!
I have learned more about my mind and body in the last 2 weeks than I have learned in my previous 37 years! It feels amazing! And if I can find it, you can too!!!! I promise!
Ravengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #2  
SeaWave

I guess it just goes to the old saying that there's a silver lining around every cloud. I'm so happy for you, that you found your combination, but sorry it had to come under such circumstances. Until last year, I was the only woman in my family who hadn't had cancer, so I know what it's like to seem surrounded by it. Lean on your new-found tools - they seem to be working great. And please accept my very sincere appreciation for taking the time to share with us during such a difficult time. I'll be trying them all out (because, yes, I am still searching for my combo!)
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Thank you SeaWave!!! I really appreciate the kind words...I know it is hard because everyone here is here for a reason...depression...of some sort...and I know full well that sometimes it takes everything you can manage just to brush your teeth and take a shower... I have been there... I am just so grateful to be crawling out into the sun right now...even with all the turmoil that is going on at the moment. My DH has another MRI coming up on Monday and we won't find the results of that out until a week later...MRIs are always tense and I think they always will be...there is always that voice whispering the "what ifs..."
Thank you so much for your concern and compassion and I hope you and yours are doing well too... I hope that you find your key(s) very soon...maybe they will be the same as mine! That'd be cool!
Take Care Everyone...
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 PM   #4  
Bringin' Sexy Back

Hey Everybody...

Well, I slipped briefly off the path on Tuesday. I had some news on Monday about my Dad's tumor that just left me really stunned, scared, and about 12 years old again. So...what did I do? I acted just like I was 12 again and used the same dang coping skills that I apparently learned somewhere then and ignored all my new better ones. Argh! But, I am feeling much much better today and I have returned to the path and am continuing my journey. I guess I just needed a date for my last binge...4-9-08. I guess you can't keep track unless you have a date right? Still...it was disappointingly easy to slip...though I give myself credit for not staying off! Here's to pressing on!!!