Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #1  
I know i can!

S/C/G: 224/224/160

Height: 5'8"

Smile Prozac and weight loss!

Has anyone been prescribed Prozac to help with dieting? What are your experiences? Does it aide you to stay on track or just the oppisite!? What are your opinions?

I was just prescribed Prozac as a mood elevator to help me possibly lose weight. I have been working out and eating right for 2 months and I haven't lost ANY weight! I just need some other opinions!
charliestaceyphillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #2  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

I confess I had a serious problem with weight gain while on Prozac, which is why my doc switched me back to Lexapro.

Of course, they say that everyone's biochemistry is different, so different meds effect each individual differently. You have to experiment. But definitely tell your doc about it!
hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #3  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi!

I am on Prozac for depression, and I have succeeded in losing weight since going on it. For me, the prozac really cut back on my eating out of boredom and agitation. Of course, I still work my butt off, so I don't know if I'd go so far as to say its CAUSED the weight loss. I do think its been a contributing factor in my being able to keep on this healthy track.

Good luck!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I gained weight when on Prozac. A lot of weight. Of course I'm part of the 5% that always seems to get the weird side effects that are the opposite of the norm. The only medication that didn't cause some sort of major side effect for me was Welbutrin.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:29 PM   #5  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Too funny Zenor - Wellbutrin gave me all kinds of wacky side-effects, but with Pzac I'm calm as a clam. Isn't it nice that there are so many options since we're all so different?
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM   #6  

S/C/G: Temporary Goal - 186/180/156

Height: 5'3"

Default Prozac and weight loss

Hi, I have been on Prozac since it first came out in 1988 -- it was the only antidepressant to really work for me, and unfortunately, I will have to be on it for the rest of my life -- but, I feel wonderful most of the time! I have lost and gained weight all these past twenty years, and in my case, I don't think prozac has had anything to do with me gaining weight -- it was always during those times I was eating more and not exercising. But I do believe that certain meds work different with different people - please tell your doctor, maybe you need to make another switch until you find one that works. On another note, are you writing down everything you eat each day? Sometimes that helps to show where you are eating more than you think you are -- but, that, of course, could not be the case! Good luck. Michele
Michele237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:26 AM   #7  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I went on it for something different (migraines) in 1994 and have been on it since. It was the first time in my life I had weight problems after taking it and I still do. I used to be skinny! I will take credit for sitting around more and eating more though. I've always had a big appetite. I would say the Prozac has made it a little harder to lose what I have put on BUT I am very happy, my head doesn't hurt and I'm feeling good so if I have to work a little harder then so be it.
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #8  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

A close friend gained 100 pounds in five years she was on it, she stopped it and lost 30 of it in sixth months and is still stuck with the rest years later. She is convinced it screwed up her metabolizm... everyone is different. My mother takes lexapro and can't keep weight on her, I take it and I have trouble losing...
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 185.0/185/140lbs

Height: 5;4

Hi,
The doc I work for put me on Prozac 20 mgs. I ate every thing in sight. I gained 30 lbs. I became a sugar junky even more then normal. But here's the thing....Prozac is suppose to raise the seritonin (sp). If yoiu are not on enough it won't work and you'll still eat carbs/sugar to get that slight high. I had my meds raised to 40 mgs and I have had a wt loss now. My sugar cravings are almost gone. I don't eat candy every single day. I'm on Metformin too, so that may help. But I really think that sometimes we are not put on enough of the medication for it to actually kick into seritonin levels.

Kellyo
Kelly46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #10  

I think losing wt on prozac is not the med itself but how you are feeling on it. Im much more motivated on 40 mgs vs the 20. My stress eating has cut way back and I'm more interested in exercise and getting out.

Kelly
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #11  
It is what it is...

they say it is not the med that makes you gain weight but the fact that you are feeling better and you may eat more, they also may cause more of an appetite but if you can just stay on plan you will be fine ...I have been on Lexapro for about 3 years now and never had any problem with losing weight when I stayed on my diet...
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:11 PM   #12  

I gain when I'm depressed. The other way around, lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #13  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I was on it years ago...loved it. Mood was better and lost weight.

Good luck !!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #14  

I am the only person I know who was given Prozac to lose weight. I went to my Dr. and asked for Merida and she said I was not overweight enough for it but suggested Prozac. I was on 20mg. In a year I lost 30 pounds without dieting. I just didn't feel hungry. The side effects were that I was really, really tired. Sometimes I'd come home from work and have to take a nap. The other side effect became intolerable once I was in a relationship. I had absolutely no interest in sex and could not have an orgasm. Still in many ways it seemed like a miracle drug to me. I wish there was something else out there that would help me.
pnwTheresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

when I first started prozac I lost weight-- it felt like an appetite suppressant. but then my body adjusted and that feeling went away.
If you are an atkins diet person, something to know:
you may not lose as easily as someone on atkin's w/o SSRIs (prozac family)
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote