Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 02-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #1  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Seroquel

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Seroquel?

I have always been a little "overweight" since puberty, but at age 20/21 i was put on seroquel for my severe depression at the time. I gained 50 lbs in two years... and i have never been able to take it back off. I am 27 now, and have gained about 15 lbs since last year because of some huge stressors.

the good one is that i got married... but still HUGE stress.

the trauma was my nephew died of SIDS last year.

I haven't been on Seroquel since i was about 22ish. But i am on generic celexa just to treat my depression. and ativan for the really tough days.

Anyone else struggle with weight gain from seroquel have any advice?
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/138/118

Height: 5'3"

I was Seroquel for a short time. I gained 15 pounds in 2 weeks!! I'm still struggling to get it off months later. I've gotten about 7 of those 15 off. I struggle everyday with weight loss (so does everyone else here LOL). Basically keep eating right and exercising, that's the best way to lose weight.
bassetbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 138/130/110

I was on seroquel for 4 months. It helped greatly and I absolutely loved that medication. I ended up quitting cold turkey because I ran out of medication and I didn't call my doctor up to get a refill. My doctor wasn't happy. she wants me to go back on it. Oh, and Gah!! the side effects of going off it cold turkey was horrible. Sorry for getting off track.

Seroquel didn't make me gain weight. I made myself gaining weight by eating tons of burger king and wend'ys combos, lol! I was gaining before the seroquel incident anyway. I stopped seroquel in the begining of January by the way. Then I changed my eating habits as of 2 weeks ago and now I am losing weight.

My first couple weigh ins I wouldn't look at the scale, I would let my husband look and take down the number because I didn't want to know. I finally gave in and asked what I have lost, he told me I lost 8 lbs and he can even tell I lost weight by looking at me. My jeans also are getting a little loose, so that's good, lol

Last edited by paper; 02-12-2008 at 08:37 PM.
paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 PM   #4  
Goonies never say die!

I can strongly suggest to NEVER EVER quit Seroquel cold turkey!!! I can only equate it to what heroin withdrawals would be like. I too, a couple of times, ran out without being able to go get a refill... i was in bed with shakes, and nausea and aches and sweats and it was the WORST!

Now i understand that i gained the weight by eating and what not... but it was like the Seroquel must have turned off my metabolism almost completely! LoL!

I am giving it another go, however!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 138/130/110

Stopping cold turkey was horrible. I felt like I had the flu. Lasted for two weeks. But what gets me is, my doctor doesn't believe you get withdrawals by stopping cold turkey. Sad, I know! But right prior to stopping, I was on vicodine for a minor surgery. I only took it for 2 days. She was convinced it was the vicodine that made me feel that way. I can't believe she doesn't believe I went through withdrawals.

I am also on zoloft, which I hear you can go through horrid withdrawls. I asked her about this and she tells me within 2 days it's out of your system. When it's time to go off it, I am going to have to ween myself off slowly.

Last edited by paper; 02-12-2008 at 09:02 PM.
paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:25 PM   #6  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I'm currently on Seroquel and I can say, unequivocally, it is 80% responsible for getting me together enough to lose weight. Probably not what you want to hear, but it's true.

Sorry to hear you're having such a tough time - good luck

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 02-14-2008 at 02:02 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #7  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 200/129/135

Height: 5'6"

Seroquel.....

Let's see.

I was put on in it for severe insomnia.

Gained 50 lbs. in about a year. I was RAVENOUS on seroquel. Heard similar experiences of extreme weight gain.

Not fun.

Last edited by nineteen; 02-14-2008 at 12:42 PM.
nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/155/145

Height: 5'3

I was put on seroquel couple weeks ago for bipolar disorder. I am really upset with it, I have lost over a hundred pounds over last 14 months and since starting it have gained 2 pounds and staying very bloated. I am going to speak with dr about it, but got a feeling I will just have to bump up exercise and watch more closely to everything I am eatting like I was in begining. I am just terrified to gain weight after working so hard.
Monday i had a kidney stone procedure done and had to be put to sleep so dr made me quit seroquel cold turkey 3 days prior to surgery and let me tell you it was so horrible. I was shaking puking and sweating. Just awful.

Jessica
260/159/145
indianamomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

My husband has taken seroquel for 5 yrs for bipolar disorder. He has gained alot of weight on it. He does tend to eat more with each increase of seroquel. He went off it once under drs orders and he didnt sleep for a week . SO he was taking 50mg for sleep and was loosing weight......he started having a manic episode and had to increase it and has gained 8lbs in 2 weeks. Seroquel is a good med . He is also taking topamax and some drs are giving it to people who take seroquel or zyprexa to help them lose weight. Dont go off seroquel unless your dr tells you too, It was miserable for hubby.
goodluck
debi
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #10  

I've been on Seroquel for bipolar disorder for almost a month. I haven't noticed any weight gain or increased appetite. I asked my psychiatrist if it would make me gain weight. He said it shouldn't, I refuse to take anything that will make me gain weight - I don't need any help doing that at all. I lost three lbs. my first week on WW.
want2bskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #11  

I have taken Seroquel for years now, for bipolar induced insomnia. I am SO GRATEFUL for this med! However, I believe that it can easily cause weight gain. An acquaintance gained 35 pounds on it. I am a lifetime Weight Watcher, and I have to be very vigilant every night after I take my Seroquel, to keep myself from binging! I am so grateful, however, that Seroquel does its job and knocks me out so that I can get up at 6 a.m. and take care of my sweet family. I exercise 6 mornings a week, and like I said, really follow Weight Watchers.

I wish you the very best!!

With loving friendship,

Diana
MomTo5Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM   #12  
Doing ATKINS Diet

S/C/G: 262

Default Seroquel on it since it came out

I am on 300 milligrams of Seroquel at nite for clinical depression. It's kept me out of the hospital going on 4 years. When I am stable, I am on 200 milligrams.

Now for weight gain. I take 4 different meds for bipolar II. I use to attribute weight gain to my meds. Actually depression contributed to weight gain.

But on Atkins in the past four months I lost 23 pounds. So it can be done in spite of the meds when you are ready. Good luck
Leelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #13  
Doing ATKINS Diet

S/C/G: 262

I am on 300 milligrams of Seroquel at nite for clinical depression. It's kept me out of the hospital going on 4 years. When I am stable, I am on 200 milligrams.

Now for weight gain. I take 4 different meds for bipolar II. I use to attribute weight gain to my meds. Actually depression contributed to weight gain.

But on Atkins in the past four months I lost 23 pounds. So it can be
Leelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #14  
Goonies never say die!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debimitch View Post
My husband has taken seroquel for 5 yrs for bipolar disorder. He has gained alot of weight on it. He does tend to eat more with each increase of seroquel. He went off it once under drs orders and he didnt sleep for a week . SO he was taking 50mg for sleep and was loosing weight......he started having a manic episode and had to increase it and has gained 8lbs in 2 weeks. Seroquel is a good med . He is also taking topamax and some drs are giving it to people who take seroquel or zyprexa to help them lose weight. Dont go off seroquel unless your dr tells you too, It was miserable for hubby.
goodluck
debi
i was prescribed topamax for part of the time i was on the seroquel for the weight gain... but the topamax broke me out into rashes all over my wrists, neck and stomach!!! i just had no luck with that cocktail of meds!

i am glad to hear that it does work for some!
Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

daisy sorry you cant take topamax. it does seem to help hubby control his weight. good luck with everything
dgramie is offline   Reply With Quote