Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 PM   #1  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Talking Weekly Cluck - Jan 28- (gasp!) Feb 3

Morning ladies!!!

I hope its OK that I started the thread... where are all the usual Monday morning chicks?

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend, and will have an even more fabulous week this week! all.
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM   #2  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm back from my weekend in a smoke filled banquet hall!! Can you get lung cancer in one night? Jeez, the smoke! Leenie, it's a motorcycle club that my fiance joined a couple months ago. If you are picturing a bunch of hairy, tattooed men and their skanky wives like I was... you are dead on!! They are good people though, as far as I can tell. This was my 2nd party with them, the first was New Year's in Baltimore. Did I mention I'm just being supportive? I'm not much of a party-girl.

Amarie: I'm about the furthest thing from a biker chick-pool shark you can get. I'm much closer to being a hampster than either of those. I'm from the bible belt and my grandmothers were missionaries. I had straight A's and never drank, smoked, or cursed in high school. I'm definitely out of my element in the group, but I'm taking it as a challenge to see if I can fit in with folks so oppposite of me.

That was my weekend. Oh, did any of you see the movie 'Vacancy' with Kate Beckensale where they stayed at a motel and found out that the management made snuff films, killing the unsuspecting guests and selling the videos? I think we stayed at that very motel after the party. If not, they could use it for the sequel!

OK...Any of you do any better this weekend?

Last edited by hope4me; 01-28-2008 at 02:19 PM.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #3  
Just keep moving ...

Hope - that sounds like fun ('cept the smoke ) I get such headaches from smoke. 'Course I get headaches from most anything. Too funny about the motel! Oh, and I'm kinda a hampster myself I think its great that you can see the good in people so different from yourself, that's doing your grammas proud.

I had an ...eh... weekend. Had wine and sushi with a friend Friday, which made me realize just how many calories are in such a small amount of wine! Then I got pretty lonely and down Saturday, maybe a side-effect of the wine? My fam was busy and I couldn't manage to connect with any friends when I tried to reach out. I ended up going shopping, which is not one of my better coping mecahnisms. At least I'm too broke to buy much. I got some new mouthwash and a really cool storage bin at Target - yep, my life is exciting.

I restarted my dog-walks Sat. night, but promptly fell off the wagon Sunday because I got tied up in revising a 14 pg paper on specific applications of early probability theory. Did I mention how exciting my life is?

Heather -if you pop in I have a questions for you - how did you know when you were ready to start running? Right now walking is just the right speed for me, but I've noticed a couple times that I've started thinking about upping my pace a little. I'd appreciate any thoughts you're willing to share.

Have a great day ladies!

Amarie
Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

Good afternoon ladies!!

Brr is it cold!!!! Woke up to -35* Actually I woke up at 5am and decided to do the dishes so I knew the pipes weren't frozen. Our heat tape is 12 years old and I went on a mental tangent
We had a very quiet weekend. ddC had a club judo tournament on Saturday. She got a third and then went out for lunch as she helped with the score keeping. Because we had time to kill we ended up buying a budgie ddB has wanted one for a while and I bought a cage a few months back (regularly $45 on for $10) Just what our house needs. Sunday wasn't so good for me. I'm not sure what the problem was I was dizzy and just wanted to sit and cry. So I stayed in my warm housecoat all day and spent a lot of time lying down. I had gone to the doctors on Friday and he was very alarmed about my blood pressure so he put me on some meds, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.
Its exam week here and thankfully none of the girls has to go out today. I really hate having to drive when it gets so cold, the van just never warms up and most people leave their vehicles running in the parking lots (we all carry extra sets of keys) I'm hoping to get some cleaning done today.

Leenie, happy anniversary!! Hope you had a nice one.

Hope, sounds like you had a nice weekend. I hope you hear about your job soon.

Amarie I lead an exciting life as well, I got a storage bin from Wal-Mart!!

SassyI don't know where you were reading, but please don't leave us, we would all miss you terribly. Good luck with the job application. That is great that you took the first step, you never know where it will lead.

Cathy good for you keeping up with your exercise, I'm always amazed at your dedication of getting up at 5am!!

Heather, hope all is going great for you Congrats on the new car, how exciting!!

And a big hug and hello to everyone else!

Have a wonderful day everyne and take care,
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi all! I've been laying low... not doing so well... honestly? I think I got really freaked out about hitting the 100lbs lost mark. Ladies, I've eaten like a FIEND. AND, I am up 8lbs - in 10 days. I'm not as down about it as you might think I would be... it's kind of a learning curve, if you see what I mean. There, I've confessed. Ah well, dust myself off and keep going, right? I didn't even know I was CAPABLE of eating that much food anymore. It's been insightful, I'll say that! For what it's worth, my friends, I couldn't admit it to anyone else but you.

Hope - sounds like a fun weekend, all in all - fingers crossed for you with the job!!

Buddly - we had a cockatiel for 14 years, and after he died, we got a quaker parrot. He can be very sweet, but he can also be a noisy bugger!

Cathy - I'll echo Buddly - 5am? Are you dedicated or crazy?

Amarie - I'm not sure any of us have very exciting lives!! As for running - I was walking most days, and picked up the pace a few weeks in... my goal was to walk 5K by June (I started calorie counting in mid-March, and walking in late March), but I got really bored with walking in May... I'd read a lot on these boards about the Couch to 5K programme (google it) and decided to start that the first week in June. All you do the first week is run 60 seconds, walk 90 - for 20 minutes. It was hard for me, and I repeated days, and weeks, and tailored it to fit my ability... and I ran SO SLOWLY! (this is a HUGE issue - everyone tries to go too far, too fast, and gets hurt and stops running - in some ways it was excellent that I was SO unfit!) Eventually, terrified as I was, I was running 20 minutes. EDIT: I would walk to the woods by my house and THEN run, where no one could see me!!

I've just been out for a 5 mile run today - and I assure you, I was NEVER athletic, and to be honest, I never DREAMED I'd love running -I really, REALLY didn't when I started, but I did make myself keep going. Now, I love it. I honestly LOVE running - don't care if I am outside or on the treadmill watching a film. I love to run. And I hope that when I reach my goal, my running will keep me fit, as well as let me eat some things without gaining too much!

If you have ANY questions, and I am no expert, feel free to ask - PM me if you want to. And join us over on the Cool Runners thread in Exercise! That and here are my two 3FC haunts

Okay folks - enough rambling from me - have a great Monday!! Love you chicks - don't' know WHAT I would do without you!!
Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 01-28-2008 at 03:51 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

catch ya later.... work.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

good morning gang

to answer y'alls question about exercising at 5 am - actually I think I'm more DESPERATE than dedicated but maybe still a little crazy too LOL it's just the only time I can do it, and I honestly feel so much better on the days when I do it, besides my poor pitiful metabolism needs the boost. I sit on my behind all day at work and you know that ain't no good!

sooooo on that note, I did get up at 5 this morning and did 3 miles

as usual it's crazy at work but I just wanted to pop in quickly and wish everybody a BLESSED day!

hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 01-29-2008 at 11:17 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #8  
Just keep moving ...

Good morning chickies!

I hope everyone is having a glorious day!

Yesterday was interesting. My schedule was super-packed, with school and work and studying, and my civic club had a special meeting about membership. I was over at campus 'til 9pm working on math homework, but I still made time when I came home to take the pups for a 1.5 m walk - yay! 'Course, as a result I didn't finish my homework or get to bed until 11:00, but I had to establish priorities

Cathy - You continure to inspire me to think about ways to add activity in the am. I've been thinking about maybe moving my dog-walk to the am (say, about 7:00), or maybe even adding an extra one.

Leenie - I really like your quote last week about "Courage doesn't always roar..." I am going to remember that! Have a great day at work

Buddly - storage bins!! I hope you are feeling better - no more dizziness? Maybe you could ask your doc? I know that some meds cause side effects for a few days until your body can normalize its reaction to them, so I am hoping its just that!

Heather - I am glad you could tell us how you have been feeling. 100 is a major thing, I guess its not surprising that it sent you for a loop. Maybe all the adulation from us here got a bit overwhelming, too? Yesterday I got complemented a lot on a paragraph I read out loud about why my civic club is important to me, and it made me really uncomfortable. Its odd, but the complements made me doubt myself, and feel kinda icky about what I'd said, like I had an ulterior motive for saying it, when really it had come from the heart. I don't know if that makes any sense, or if it relates at all to the way you've been feeling. I hope that you can get to a place of peace with your accomplisments, and keep on your fabulous journey!

Also, thanks so much for the info on how you started running. I used to run (the last time I was at a healthy weight) and I remember how wonderful it felt. It was so peaceful and centerting, and energizing all at the same time. I'd like to be able to experience that again, but I really feel I have to work my way gently into it. The couch to 5K sounds right up my alley. Maybe I'll start it when the ice melts! Running in the woods! I think I'd be afraid of the big bad wolf!

OK, my goodness how I go on. Back to worky. all!
Old 01-29-2008, 03:30 PM   #9  
Starting Again

Hi ladies

I'm getting ready to go to my WW meeting. I'm hoping they have some good super bowl food ideas. We are having a friend over who is watching what he eats also. I'm glad b/c before I was thinking of using it as full blown cheat session and fully throw caution to the wind.

I'll check back later, just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm thinking about you all!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #10  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Hi all!

Hope, honey - plan, plan, plan. Make up veggies and a decadent - but not TOO decadent! - dip... I treat myself for things like that by being TOTALLY prepared. If you don't have junk in the house, you won't be tempted to offer it, and then you won't eat it yourself! Okay, okay, NO ONE should be taking eating advice from ME this week, but it has worked in the past. I buy those Hot Dipz (I love the spinach and 3-cheese one) and have lots of carrots and peppers cut up, and some wheat thins (not GREAT 'diet' food, but sure not as bad as Doritos!!) You could try fresh salsa, too! Maybe make up healthy wraps ahead, too, and munch those? Oh, good luck tonight - thinking of you!!

Amarie - your dogs will LOVE two walks a day - what a great plan - you can get fit, make them happy AND feel like a morally super dog-owner all at the same time!

Buddly, Leenie, Cathy -

Nothing new here... chat tomorrow!
Heather

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 01-29-2008 at 04:31 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Just sitting here waiting for the school nurse to call....DD wasn't feeling well this morning. And everyone here at work is calling out b/c they are sick.

OY....

Have a groovy day everyone

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #12  

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning everyone!

Not to much new around here. Its warmed up some, so that is good. Its sad when -29* is considered warm!
Hubby drove ddC to school for her one exam this am, so I'll pick her up whenever she is done. ddA and ddB are home. Work has slowed down for hubby as its that time of the year and I'm trying to not let my anxiety of it get to me. I always worry things won't pick up again and he doesn't sit well which makes me more nervous. In other words I prefer him out of the house.
Our new addition (the budgie) is settling in well. I still don't know where her cage is going to go. Right now she is in front of one fish tank and beside the cockatiels.

Leenie I hope your DD feels better soon. And keep washing your hands so you don't catch anything!!

Heather how are you keeping up? I'll have to look up quaker parrot. We have two cockatiels that are about five years old. They are entertaining, but boy the one is sure cheeky! The one has picked up my laugh and he picked up the dog's bark, he's usually a better watch dog than the dog. Sammy starts to "bark" and Max comes running to see who's in the driveway!

Hope how was the meeting? I always find that a platter of cut up veggies and a dip are great for snacking, celery and radishes really give that "crunch" factor. And air popped popcorn is always good once you get use to no grease.

Amarie I hope you've slowed down some, boy what a day! Yesterday I just sat in my van in town killing time waiting for kids to be done their thing ( I was afraid of coming home and getting stuck as they were calling for snow)

Cathy good for you for keeping at it! Its good you found something that works for you.

Well I should get going and get something done today since I can actually be here.

Take care everyone and have a wonderful day
K
buddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:25 PM   #13  
Just keep moving ...

Good morning all!

Have a great day!

P.S. Buddly - I am of the firm opinion that once it gets below -5deg its just COLD! LOL. Yesterday did slow down a little, phew!

HUGS all
Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 250/199/165

Height: 5 foot 9

Jumping in here, (hope ya'll don't mind) I was on the forums before ... then I got pregnant and took a break from the dieting. I did manage to eat healthy and exercise,for once during this pregnancy. I managed to keep the weight gain at 25 pounds and am at my prepregnancy (but still overweight) weight. I am jumping back in the forums though..I need the support. I managed to GAIN weight after I gave birth last time, due to PPD and I really would like to avoid that this time. I don't think that cloud lifted for at least 18 months.. although I did managed to join the Y and lose about 25-30 pounds before I got pregnant, at least. I have been a little weepy and having a few ups and downs, but I am hoping that I can hold on without any major pitfalls until 6 weeks or so when I can hopefully start exercising again. (Little one is 2 weeks right now). I don't know if meds would help or not.. I am hoping to avoid the meds route because I only have insurance until 6 weeks postpartum and there are so many unknowns with finding the right medication and tweaking dosages, etc. and we cant afford that. I guess part of me is scared that I could have a bad reaction and end up even worse than I am right now. I have good days along with the bad..and at least that is known.. the whole meds route is just unknown and I don't think I can deal with that what if right now.For now I am focusing on cutting out junk food and eating whole foods, taking care of myself as best as possible, establishing nursing, etc. and also getting light housework done...oh..and taking care of the other 4 children ages 8,7,5, and 2. (We homeschool, so full house all day). Since it is winter, I think that when I am clear to start exercising again I will do the Walk Away the Pounds DVD. My kids can do it with me and hopefully it will help me burn off some calories. During the summer and fall we took walks..I miss the sunshine and hopefully spring will come early this year..but until then gotta make do. Anyways, just wanted to sort of reintro myself and say hi to cathy and leenie and anyone else who might remember me. (and all the others I don't know yet!)
Snoopysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #15  
Starting Again

Hi gang and glad to meet you Snoopysgirl!

The WW meeting went well (thanks for asking). I was down 3.6. My home scales say 8lbs down total. Yay! I'm just glad to be headed in the right direction for the first time in over a year.

I won my pool match last night also. I beat a guy who is ranked 4 notches higher than I am! Always fun to do that!

I did receive some life-altering news last night however. One of our friends passed away suddenly. We got the call in the middle of our pool matches. He was actually more of my fiance's friend, and also the man who gives him the majority of his work (construction at a local hospital). This could have devastating effects on his income, and as you all know, I'm still unemployed. We don't know what is going to happen now. Any prayers would be appreciated!
Buddly: I hear you on things slowing up! I'm trying not to worry also!

Snoopysgirl: Wow, you have your hands full. I would be totally overwhelmed. You must be a saint. If you can work on your weight, so can I!

Everybody!