Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 228/215/160

Height: 5 ft 5

now that it is evening i'm starting to be very irritable and edgy..........
campbellredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 147/147/132

Height: 5'4

Well, I am taking a cocktail (celexa, welbutrin and lithium), but I have two side effects: loss of sexual drive and sleepiness. I do feel great, though, so I am not sure that I want to change it. The thing is, each person has a different reaction. What worked for you might not work for your friend. So unfortunately all you can do is experiment (of course, medically supervised). I advise you to see your doc asap... changing your dosage on your own is never a good idea
iulidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Hello everyone!

I've been on Celexa for probably 4 years now. I definitely have noticed some side effects - it slows down weight loss and decreases sexual appetite

I am on 50mg a day, at bedtime. In the beginning doctors had a hard time determining the right dose for. Apparently 50 is a weird number - my doctor is writing a paper on the affects of certain drugs and overweight people - how dosing is key - and my case will be listed. I had a hard time determining the right time to take the meds - in the am it made me sleepy, at night it kept me up. We decided night time was best, but to help me sleep they also put me on a drug called tryptophan - it works in conjunction with the celexa. I was on the tryp for about a year when they took me off. I sleep well on my own now even with the celexa.

I hope this story helps someone. Please give it the 4 weeks it needs to build up in your blood and stable off. Even if you miss a dose, the chemical is still in your body, still doing it's job - so even if you felt ok without a dose, don't stop taking it. It's changed my life, and made me bearable to the ones I love.
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 298/289/192

Height: 5"8"

My experiences with citalopram is it really stuffed up my sleep pattern. First couple of weeks I felt in a total daze and was just floating about. Everything felt like it was in slow motion.

For about 2 months I was getting probably a couple of hours max sleep on the tablets. Its does eventually calm down if you get that side effect but you are in for a bit of a ride until it does.

I did notice I was eating less to begin with also but sadly that side effect didn't last !!!

I was moved up to 40mg and stayed on them for about 6 months. Once the intial two month period was over it did really help me with my moods.
debsarooni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:35 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 247/229.4/147

Height: 5'2"

My doctor would never give me more than 20 mg a day because he said he thought it was unsafe to take more, so maybe the low dosage is why my side effects (energy, loss of appetite) were different than what some of y'all had. I thought it was so weird he wouldn't up my dosage but then a few months later he told me he really wants me to see someone who specializes in mood disorders because he really doesn't have much experience in that field.
southern_sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 235/135

Height: 5'4"

hey all, I'm on 20 mg/day of celexa. I take it at night. Melatonin is great for sleeping too, I forgot about that.
keepnsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 147/147/132

Height: 5'4

Casey, you have to switch your doctor ASAP. You do not want to be a guinea pig if you are suffering from depression. Get someone that has worked in the field for a while and that you feel comfortable with. Really, the doc is your bridge to safety, so choose a sturdy one
iulidavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #23  

Yea you're right. I should make things clearer when I post I do see someone else now. It was about a year ago when I took the Celexa.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 PM   #24  

I'm feeling much better with the 1/2 dose in the Morning.
Thursday is my birthday the big 30, and i'm the big F*A*T-great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday is my follow up with the psychiatrist.

I also started taking fish oil supplements. Which she recommended.
She is going to talk to me about some other minerals or something that may help my anxiety to go along with meds.

We'll see............................................
Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #25  

So today is my birthday,
tomorrow is my appointment with the pyschiatrist.
I do feel better than when i was on the prozac. I feel it is helping some with my anxiety, but as it calms me i feel tired, and have no energy or motivation i want to sleep all day and eat eat eat.
I hope she will understand when i try to explain to her.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #26  

I am such a dork! I just realized I took CYMBALTA not celexa. Just ignored me, sorry
Old 10-03-2007, 02:48 PM   #27  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Hey campbellredhead, happy belated birthday!!!
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:58 PM   #28  

THe doctor totally understood. She said it was great that the medicine got into my system really well. That being so relaxed and calm would help my body when i started the Wellbutrin. SO now i'm taking 20mg of the Celexa at night, and 150mg of Wellbutrin in the morning. So far so good......

Thank you so much-SoulBliss for wishing me a happy birthday!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by campbellredhead; 10-03-2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #29  
on a mission

S/C/G: 245/210/165

Height: 5'9"

I have been on citalopram and have gained weight, almost immediately after starting my prescription. Anyone else have this problem?
bristar is offline   Reply With Quote