Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:47 PM   #46  
lisa

S/C/G: 209.5/193/135

Height: 5'2"

Debbie,
Hang in there! I still have not been to the Dr.s to start weaning off Effexor(again). I skipped a dose the other day because I realized that I had no refills on my script(I had to call and beg for more quick). It is amazing how not even after 12 hours you feel like S____! I hate it! I really need to make an appt to get off it once and for all. I have lost 12 lbs but it has been very difficult and slow. Took like 4-6 wks! I know that it can't happen overnight but like you said it seems to be hindered by the meds!
Keep plugging along!
Lisa
lottalisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:54 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 155/138/125

Height: 5'4"

Default 12lbs

That is fabulous.............
I have ran out of effexor also that is not pleasant at all,you feel like a heroin addict needing your fix dont you?
I am scared to go any lower but I am going to try I am hoping to use clonazapam to help aparently it is easier to get off than effexor.
12 pounds that is so exciting maybe there is hope for me yet.
I will keep plugging away step by step. Lawl is teaching me to eat better but It is so slow.we have had a few warmer days and all the skinny people were out I swear they hide until the warm weather LOL.
debbieduzLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #48  
*squish*squish*

S/C/G: 276/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I didn't read through to see what everyone else said, but I can tell you about my experience with Effexor.
I gained about 50lbs. I had to keep food in my system all the time so I wouldn't get nauseous. I stayed on it because it worked for my depression and anxiety, but I've actually just gotten off of it. I felt like I was in a place in my life where I could stop taking it. I've been off it for about a month now and I've lost about 7 or 8 pounds, just from not having to eat all the time, not adding exercise or anything. I seriously have to eat half or even 1/3 as much.
Honestly, I don't think you could pay me to take it again. I've been through almost every antidepressant out there and this was the only one that worked for me, but the weight gain in my case was ridiculous.
squishy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:40 PM   #49  

how did you deal with withdrawls? how long did it take before you were back to feeling better?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #50  
*squish*squish*

S/C/G: 276/ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieduzLAWL View Post
how did you deal with withdrawls? how long did it take before you were back to feeling better?
I'm not sure if you're asking me, but I'll go ahead and answer anyway!

I was going to wait to go off it until I could go back to my doctor so he could wean me off it, but I ran out of pills and had lost my medical insurance, so I wasn't up for spending over $100 to get a new prescription filled when I knew that I was just going to be going off it soon anyway. I couldn't get an appt. with my doctor for about a month, and they wouldn't give me any samples or anything to last until then. (The assistants were actually incredibly rude and not understanding at all, but don't get me started!) So, since I didn't have any other options, I had to deal with it.
I had actually started kind of weaning myself off it months before, taking it every other day instead of everyday. But I still had to deal with the withdrawls when going off it altogether.

I loaded up on my nausea fighting tools. (Nausea was my main problem, aside from feeling like crap.) I got chewable Pepto Bismol and pop tarts. I had to keep a lot of food in my system the first few days and down Pepto chewables like crazy. Pop tarts, junk food, and things like bread, crackers, etc. worked best for me. It took probably 6-8 days to get over it. The first 3-4 were definitely the worst, but I just kept telling myself that it was worth it. It really really was worth it.

Anyone who's having problems with it, I really do recommend going off it. It's hard, but truly worth it, in my opinion. Of course, this is only if you think you can handle it emotionally and psychologically. It took me a while to decide what to do because I was afraid of being depressed all the time again, but so far I'm good and I'm confident that I'll stay good. I do still take Lamictal for bipolar disorder, and I don't have any problems with it at all so I don't have any plans to stop taking it.
squishy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I went to my doctor, who was essentially worthless in the matter, and he gave me a very low dose of zoloft.. i took it for about a month, then split it in half and took that for another month, then stopped totally. The withdrawal still sucked, but it wasn't nearly even in the ballpark of effexor withdrawal
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM   #52  
lisa

Squish,
I was going to ask you the same thing when I read that you were off it last night but I had company over for dinner and could not get back on the computer. I can't believe you did it like cold turkey! I can't imagine. The dizziness and nausea are horrible. i get the head spins after 1 day! Yuck!

Dana,
Did your Dr. give you the Zoloft to help you wean off the Effexor??
I was hoping to wean off Effexor w/out taking anything in its place.

I love how the Dr.s still say it is not addicting! How can that be when withdrawls are so nasty??

Lisa
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM   #53  

Default squish

You are one tough cookie................
I would have to take a week off work and lock myself in the bathroom If I did that, hats off to you you are my new dancin' carrot
Old 04-07-2007, 02:00 PM   #54  

S/C/G: 189/175/125

Wow! Cold turkey and I would have hurt someone...I felt like I melted into madness when I missed a dose. My girlfriend is a pharmamcist and she helped me to managed my doses down, down, down, and finally just the tiny pills (37.5) every two days...at this dose I was able to start Wellbutrin, and completely stop the Effexor.
I was up to 300mg, and found it losing its effectiveness...went to
262.5mg for one day/ 330mg the next for two weeks
then 262.5mg every day for 2 weeks
then 225mg one day/ 262.5mg the next for two weeks
225 for 2 weeks
187.5/225 two weeks
187.5 for two weeks

until I was at 37.5 for two weeks, then 37.5 every second day for 2 weeks, then I started with Wellbutrin 150mg every day, never with an Effexor dose.

Months. It took me months. I was especially frazzled at TOM, or leading up to it, but all in all I was O.K. I feel like I got a monkey off my back. And I feel completely powerful having kicked it.

One thing I have done is started taking a daily 'greens' dose. I use Nugreens berry flavored with Acai fruit...two scoops a day. I have to say that after 3 days of drinking this, and in combination with the Wellbutrin, I feel fabulous. I felt a tangible calm come over me one day...I looked at my DH and said "I feel really happy, I haven't felt happy in I don't know how long". To me that was amazing, and I am likely to remember that moment for the rest of my life.

Anyhow, that's my story.

Karwie
karwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #55  
lisa

Karwie,
The lowest I have been able to get down to is where Iam now at 75mg. I really need to the Dr.s to be rid of it. I am hoping with a new change in eating and execising that I can be med free. I at least want to give it a try.
Lisa
Old 04-07-2007, 02:29 PM   #56  

Lisa,
When you say you can't get lower than 75mg, what happens? Could you try the 75/37.5? The dispenser at your pharmacy will give you the pills in any increment you want...and the side effects should be manageable, or at least not devastating, this way. You want to be off, like on nothing at all, right? I don't know of any pills the doctor can give for the withdrawal symptoms, as far as I know the only way is to suffer through it. And it does end...it does.

karwie
Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #57  
lisa

You mean if I ask the pharmacist to split my dose to 37.5 when I go for my next refill they can do that??
I thought it had to be dispensed as written? Hmmm... If not I can call the Dr.s and get it decreased. The last time I tried to wean off I was at 37.5 and was dizzy and short tempered. But that was like 3-4 years ago. I feel like I have been on Effexor forever!
Thanks for suggestions,
lisa
Old 04-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #58  

Default Lisa

DO you think there is hope for us?
I can only get as far as 75 also.I am trying to quit smoking and am goint to start Zyban (welbutran) But last time I did this the brain zaps,nausea dizzy were horrid.maybe IF we try the clonazapam route ask your doctor.sigh.......
If I had the guts I would just stop..............
Old 04-07-2007, 06:14 PM   #59  
lisa

Debbie,
Are you going to be on both Effexor and Wellbutrin?? May be you can switch to Wellbutrin and go off Effexor then when you quit smoking you will be able to stop the Wellbutrin too.
Explain the brain Zaps? I get like this mini rush , quick headspin or something. Vision is nuts. Feels like one eye can look up and the other down or something.
I also think I have trouble breathing unless I just try to breath away the nausea feeling. It is all just yucky!
Do you think it is addicting? Or isthe horrible side effects of stopping that keep everyone taking it?
Lisa
Old 04-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #60  

Hey guys,

getting your pharmacist to dispense, say 60 x 37.5mg as opposed to 30 x 75mg doesn't change the dosage...but it may cost a bit more as there are more pills involved (fees). My guy said that this weaning process is far more common than we realize. I talked to everyone in the loop for advice. I view pharmacists as the drug/dosing experts, the doctors as the diagnostic experts. Even the people at the health-food-stores have info on herbs and greens that might help.

I am worried about you, Lisa, I don't want you to stay on just to avoid the withdrawal. I know its bad, it can be real scary...do you have someone with you? I remember the thoughts I had, the fear, the lonliness, the panic and the darkness...and I had my DH at my side. You CAN do this, but you're right to want to do it slowly, and to try to be in control of the symptoms.

I don't think I was addicted, because it wasn't working for me anymore. But that road back really sucks.

karwie