Chicken Tortilla Soup

• I kinda made this up based on a few recipes I'd seen elsewhere, and it came out really good!

28 ounces diced tomatoes
    1 small can green chile
    3 chicken breasts
    1 red onion
    1 bell pepper
    1 box chicken broth
    Cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper
    cilantro
    lime
    sour cream
    shredded cheese

Dice onion and bell pepper. Combine all ingredients except cilantro, lime sour cream, and shredded cheese in crock pot. Cook on high 7 hours, then shred chicken breasts using two forks. Add remaining ingredients and serve.

Would also be good over black beans or with baked strips of whole wheat tortilla in phase 2.
  • Made this the other day and it was DELISH! Thanks for the recipe!
  • Awesome, I will definitely have to make this! Thank you for the recipe!
  • This sounds very good. I do like to to use my crock pot in the summer months. Thanks for posting this. Linda
  • Thanks for this recipe, it was quite good!
  • Made a similar recipe in the crockpot and it was AWESOME. The original recipe calls for 2 cups of corn...I used some light red kidney beans instead. I also didn't mix the sour cream and cheese in when I made it...I added it each meal instead.

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced
    1 small green or red bell pepper, diced
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    coarse salt and fresh black pepper
    1 can (11 ounce) Ro-tel diced tomatoes & green chiles
    4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 + 1/4 pounds boneless chicken breasts
    1 can black beans
    1 tablespoon chili powder like McCormick
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon oregano (preferably Mexican), crushed between fingertips
    1 + 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese or monterey jack, plus more for serving
    1 cup sour cream, plus more for serving

Instructions
    In a medium skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile to your crock-pot add the Ro-tel, chicken broth, chicken, black beans (if using), chile powder, cumin, oregano and 1 teaspoon coarse salt or 1/2 teaspoon fine and about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix in the cooked onions, peppers and garlic.
    Cook on high 3 - 4 hour or low 5 - 6. Remove the chicken breasts to a cutting board. Stir the cheese and sour cream into the soup. Shred the chicken or cut into bite-sized pieces and add back to the pot. Taste and season as needed. Cook 1 more hour on low heat.
    Serve garnished with more cheese and sour cream.