Slow Cooker Indian Chicken Stew

• I found this recipe in my latest issue of BB&G. Prize tested recipes, Irene Goodall, Loxahahatchee, Fl, one-pot meals, September 2010. I believe it's phase 1. If you are on phase 2, serve with rice or quinoa. I used chicken breasts.

ingredients
    2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1 medium onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    5 tsp. curry powder
    2 tsp. ground ginger
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. ground black pepper and/or cayenne pepper
    2 15-oz. cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
    2 14.5-oz. cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    2 Tbsp. lime juice
    1 9-oz. pkg. fresh spinach (optional)
    Hot cooked rice (optional)
    directions
    1. Lightly coat a 6-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray or oil. Add chicken, onion, and garlic to the slow cooker. Add curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Toss to coat. Stir in drained beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high-heat setting 4 to 5 hours or low-heat setting 8 to 10 hours.

2. Stir lime juice into cooked stew. Stir spinach leaves into stew and let stand 2 to 3 minutes to wilt. Makes 8 (about 1-1/2 cup) servings.

nutrition facts
    Calories295, Total Fat (g)6, Saturated Fat (g)1, Monounsaturated Fat (g)2, Polyunsaturated Fat (g)2, Cholesterol (mg)94, Sodium (mg)867, Carbohydrate (g)32, Total Sugar (g)9, Fiber (g)7, Protein (g)29, Vitamin C (DV%)23, Calcium (DV%)7, Iron (DV%)18, Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
  • Thigh meat is out for SB, I believe...but I'll try it w/ boneless skinless chicken breasts instead. Sounds yummy!!!
  • It's been so long since I read the book. I only eat chicken breasts, and whenever a recipe calls for thighs, I automatically substitute breasts.

I think you will like this dish, very tasty.
  • Quote: It's been so long since I read the book. I only eat chicken breasts, and whenever a recipe calls for thighs, I automatically substitute breasts.

I think you will like this dish, very tasty.
    Okay, good, so you've made it w/ the breasts and it was good then??? Awesome!!! I eat chicken for probably 3/4 of my meals, LOL.
  • I made this two weeks ago, with the thigh meat -- I'm not on the South Beach diet, though I use a lot of its recipes -- and will only do it again if I can get boneless thighs inexpensively. Because deboning took a while, using up time the crockpot cooking otherwise saved me. Also, the bones still had enough meat on them that I was able to bake them, just with salt & pepper, & get a sort of "chicken wing" snack from them. So yeah, use chicken breasts, if not to spare calories then because they're easier to handle.
  • sounds fantastic! I love Indian and have missed it horribly.
  • I made this last night and had it for breakfast this morning--delish!!! It grows on you after the first bite or two. My only complaint is how dry the chicken became. Thank you!